R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-28-2009, 05:16 AM   #2131
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteoffroad03 View Post
I race on several different local tracks, but we have a couple tracks that have some big jumps that require a pretty high launch to clear so I was trying to keep a little pack to assist in clearing them, but I will try the lighter oil this weekend and see how it works.
Thanks,
Jamie
Disel760 is from NC also, maybe ask him about some of the tracks you run on for setups
kamlooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #2132
Tech Fanatic

Looks like rain for this weekend.
brian kadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #2133
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Were you going to Cullman?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #2134
Tech Fanatic

That was the plan.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #2135
Tech Regular

Jamie,

Don't crank your replacement pistons down too much. After shattering one of my pistons, I've gone back to the old-school technique of tightening them just enough so that they can rotate by hand, but without any up/down play. Even with 60 or 70wt oil, they shouldn't snap. I know the temps have been in the mid-90's here in the Carolinas lately.

On the nose-diving, I noticed the same coming off jumps when I had close-to full-droop in the rear. Full-droop is for tracks full of ruts. Remove some rear droop for the Cape Fear track, since it has hardly any ruts. It certainly helped me there, and at other similar NC tracks. I'll try to make the next CF race, so please look me up.

Roy Johnson
RoyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #2136
Tech Apprentice

Roy,
I checked the pistons and they were ok. I actually tighten them the same way you just explained. I will try the droop reduction this weekend. I actually talked to Luther today about coming up to King and racing with you. I will call you soon, I got your # from him and I need info on how to get there.
Later,
Jamie
TQ Performance
Competition Products RC
whiteoffroad03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #2137
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJ View Post
Jamie,

Don't crank your replacement pistons down too much. After shattering one of my pistons, I've gone back to the old-school technique of tightening them just enough so that they can rotate by hand, but without any up/down play. Even with 60 or 70wt oil, they shouldn't snap. I know the temps have been in the mid-90's here in the Carolinas lately.

On the nose-diving, I noticed the same coming off jumps when I had close-to full-droop in the rear. Full-droop is for tracks full of ruts. Remove some rear droop for the Cape Fear track, since it has hardly any ruts. It certainly helped me there, and at other similar NC tracks. I'll try to make the next CF race, so please look me up.

Roy Johnson
I would have to agree with Roy. Liam's car at the Farm started to nose dive we run that track with full droop in the back to make it up the logs. I moved the shock on the rear to the first hole nearest to hub, the shock tower top row in the middle. Also make sure you have free roll and the breaks aren't sticking that will also cuase your car to nose dive off a jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr5t4...e=channel_page
Alberto Santos Kyosho WC 777 Plus
Disel760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:36 AM   #2138
Tech Apprentice

I guess maybe I should have been more specific on the car nose diving. It is not nose diving on its own off the jumps. What I'm having a problem with is that if I land the car front wheels first, even at a shallow angle, the nose/bumper will dig in easier than other cars I have owned. Traditionally I try to land with the front wheels slightly low and power out of the landing. My SX8 will dig the nose in that condition. I have been compensating by landing almost completly flat and that seems to be just as fast, I just thought maybe I was fighting a set up issue.

I agree about the rear droop though. I saw on this thread that alot of guys are running full droop all the way around so I tried it and I instantly developed a tail high launch off of some jumps. I already took some of the droop out of the rear.
TQ Performance
Competition Products RC
Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #2139
Tech Fanatic

I dont remember seeing anyone post running full droop in the rear but I may have missed that one. I have never ran full droop in the rear just the front, I am sure you will have better handling once you get the shock oil and rear droop set right.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #2140
Tech Regular

Jamie, try 1.2mm hole pistons (hong nor) in front, with blue springs. And dont overjump the jumps. Backside 'em and you can land front first w/o divots.

The King RC track is located at 738 South Main St.
King, NC 27021. Take hwy 52 north from Winston Salem for about 15 miles. Exit rt at Tobaccoville Road/King. Turn rt onto Main st. The track is on the left behind the CVS 1/2 mile in, next to the Five Forks Village shopping ctr.
RoyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #2141
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJ View Post
Jamie, try 1.2mm hole pistons (hong nor) in front, with blue springs. And dont overjump the jumps. Backside 'em and you can land front first w/o divots.

The King RC track is located at 738 South Main St.
King, NC 27021. Take hwy 52 north from Winston Salem for about 15 miles. Exit rt at Tobaccoville Road/King. Turn rt onto Main st. The track is on the left behind the CVS 1/2 mile in, next to the Five Forks Village shopping ctr.
Thanks man,
What time do they start qualifiers? I think I might come up this weekend if there is a race. If so what day etc.
TQ Performance
Competition Products RC
Old 08-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #2142
Tech Master

Local Racer- My B'day is tomorrow (Aug 2nd) and I would like a Truggy, new buggy chassis and some servos that never burn up.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #2143
Tech Master

Default Happy Bday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill_Will View Post
Local Racer- My B'day is tomorrow (Aug 2nd) and I would like a Truggy, new buggy chassis and some servos that never burn up.
Well guys we are sitting first and third on the grid at the Ohio Fair Race Kelby Roberts is TQ and Mark Christman is 3rd this is a tough race in the Midwest.
Local racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #2144
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local racer View Post
Well guys we are sitting first and third on the grid at the Ohio Fair Race Kelby Roberts is TQ and Mark Christman is 3rd this is a tough race in the Midwest.

Good deal!
Old 08-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #2145
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

yea the Tq guys did a great job today,but they dropped down a few spots after qfy had ended...i think Kelly fall to 3rd And Johnny bumped up to 4th,not sure where Mark ended up.But all in all still a great day of qfy for the Tq team.So other then Losi i believe TQ had the most cars in the main...