R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Slipper spur help

Hey friends new here and looking for some answers. I bought a kyosho ultima st from a friend for 20 bones and couldnt find anything to fix the motor so i bought a new motor. The motor i bought is a TRX 2.5 with an o.s. carb and a big bear head. Now this sucker made the car scream for about 20-30 mins then it wouldnt move. I pulled the body off and looked around to find the spur is ground down to nothing. My main question is what spur can I use for this? I would preffer a metal one. I called traxxas and they told me that my clutch bell has a 32p and 20t. So I guess something that will mate up with that. Also the kyosho spur is a 53t dont know the pitch tho.

Zero
ZeroRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is it just your spur gear thats wrecked or is it the clutch too thats showing damage?

I dont know anything about pitch so I cant help you there.

Your clutch was probably a little too far from the spur gear and was grinding it down the whole time you were driving it.

Did you even break the engine in? (please say yes...)
new to rc cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

The engine was bought off of ebay so its broke in and all. Now the clutch is fine its just that i have no teeth on the spur. I am going to need something to fit the shaft for the tranny and the right pitch so i dont destroy anything again.

Zero
Old 05-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroRain View Post
The engine was bought off of ebay so its broke in and all. Now the clutch is fine its just that i have no teeth on the spur. I am going to need something to fit the shaft for the tranny and the right pitch so i dont destroy anything again.

Zero
Hmm, Id like to help you but Im probably just as new to this as you are! maybe even newer.

The teeth on the spur could have been weak/broken a little before, and you just finished them off, maybe the old engine didnt have enough power to rip the teeth off?
Old 05-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Well I went down to the local hobby shop and talked to the owner abit. He hooked me up with a traxxis rustler spur. It seemed great for a little bit but, there is always a but, the gear is spinning on the bushing and melting the plastic. I think that might be caused by the slipper not being tight enough. What would be the negative side of a solid spur, no slipper installed?

Zero
Old 05-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroRain View Post
Well I went down to the local hobby shop and talked to the owner abit. He hooked me up with a traxxis rustler spur. It seemed great for a little bit but, there is always a but, the gear is spinning on the bushing and melting the plastic. I think that might be caused by the slipper not being tight enough. What would be the negative side of a solid spur, no slipper installed?

Zero
I cant help you there, I have no idea what youre talking about now!

I didnt think you were running plastic gears... damn.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to skeller Send a message via MSN to skeller Send a message via Yahoo to skeller

In your situation running without a slipper or with it too tight will put all of force directly on the interals of your tranny...and will cause certain destruction.

Tighten your slipper down and try this.....

Press down on the vehicle so the rear wheels cannot move....now roll your spur gear. If it will NOT move AT ALL...it's too tight. Back off of your slipper 1/4 turn at a time until the spur gear will move but with some force to make it do so.

If your running on pavement that still may be a little tight.

If the slipper keeps coming loose...try replacing the locknut first. If it still comes loose you probably have an internal diff issue.
skeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

im certain the tranny gave out on me this morning. Im sick of trying to make this kyosho work with something better. Since i have a good motor im looking for a traxxas rolling chassis now.

Zero