Like Tree1Likes

Unbalanced Foams and Trapped Dirt

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)
Default Unbalanced Foams and Trapped Dirt

Hi Guys,

Sand has found it's way into my tires (through the holes in the rims). Anyway to get it out?

There are some high spots, luckily i've only glued one side of the tire. Anyway to make it perfectly round? Of course, I could go for molded inserts but then it's too late.

Any kind of guidance is highly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by razor_clawzz
Hi Guys,

Sand has found it's way into my tires (through the holes in the rims). Anyway to get it out?

There are some high spots, luckily i've only glued one side of the tire. Anyway to make it perfectly round? Of course, I could go for molded inserts but then it's too late.

Any kind of guidance is highly appreciated. Thanks!
I poke holes in the rubber, about a 1/8 inch hole 2,3 and some times 4 holes.
generally they are for air to get back into the tire faster it helps to allow dirt and water out under power.

Oh and you only glued the front of the tire? What are we talking about here.?
Old 05-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
I poke holes in the rubber, about a 1/8 inch hole 2,3 and some times 4 holes.
generally they are for air to get back into the tire faster it helps to allow dirt and water out under power.

Oh and you only glued the front of the tire? What are we talking about here.?
Well, I was doing the front tire (err, one of four tires) when I realized there are a few high spots and flat spots. They're brand new Werks Lugs MT BTW

Now on my other set of tires...> The reason I haven't (yeah I had that in mind) poke holes in the rubber is that I might risk tearing the whole tire under acceleration, or am I just being paranoid about it? Sorry that I wasn't clear, I'm talking about 2 sets of tires

Last edited by razor_clawzz; 05-02-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Lots of racers punch holes in the tires with a leather punch. i haven't seen any holes rip.
XLosiguy likes this.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by petevette
Lots of racers punch holes in the tires with a leather punch. i haven't seen any holes rip.
Thanks, I guess I should've done that earlier. Now, for the other problem...

What about the foam buldges? Is there a way to 'massage' the tires so the foam spreads out evenly?

Last edited by razor_clawzz; 05-02-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Tech Lord

Thanks, I guess I should've done that earlier. Now, for the other problem...

What about the foam buldges? Is there a way to 'massage' the tires so the foam spreads out evenly?
I would cut out small holes in the tires with some small dykes. They wont rip I have done it many times when buying pre mounts. The only thing I can think of is to get the foam wet and then hit the throttle with the car off the ground and see if it will spread out when the water blows out. The foams could be bound op and glued. Then its time to get the tire off the wheel. Hopefully you wont have to do that?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
I would cut out small holes in the tires with some small dykes. They wont rip I have done it many times when buying pre mounts. The only thing I can think of is to get the foam wet and then hit the throttle with the car off the ground and see if it will spread out when the water blows out. The foams could be bound op and glued. Then its time to get the tire off the wheel. Hopefully you wont have to do that?
If it's my last resort, I guess I will have to remove the tires completely.

Can I re-use the tire?
Is baking your tires in the oven safe? Won't it melt the rims and tires?
How do you personally remove installed tires from the rims, with intentions to install them back later?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

It's done for. If you bake it it will all melt. If you boil it it will make the wheel and the tire more soft and it will kill the foam. If you soak it in acetone even worse on the tire and foam but the wheel will be okay. It's better to use this set of tire/wheels as a junk set and mount your new set the better way.

The better way is to plug the holes in the wheels if present. Alot of wheel brands don't have the holes like say panther. Use a leather hole punch like say from Michaels and put 2 1/8" holes 180 degress apart on the buggy and 3 1/8" holes 120 degrees apart in monster truck and truggy. I glue every set of tires i have ~ 20 sets. Every premount I've ever owned comes apart.

If you mount it yourself to get the best performance balance the wheel/foam/tire assembly glue it then balance it again.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Tech Lord

Can I re-use the tire?
How do you personally remove installed tires from the rims, with intentions to install them back later?

Thanks!
It can be done but use a toaster oven out side, get it up to temp first then put it in and wait, I want to say between five and ten minutes.
With some thick gloves pull it out and quickly pull it off. The foam will be done. Like toycar said theres no good way to do this and to use as practice tires is the best way to approach it if your not sure of your self, sounds like your not. The deal is if you ruin it its done if you use it for practice you will reserve a racing set to last longer.

Just wondering is the bulge so bad that running it a bit it wont wear down?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can I re-use the tire?

Thanks!
put them im the oven at about 400F for 10 mins, let them completely cool, in a cold spot if possible, not your freezer because they will really stink. after that they will come off with no problems, clean the rim with 99% alcohol (isopropanol), then re glue them (the part i cant figure out!!)
Old 05-03-2008, 02:37 AM
Tech Master

Well for the trapped dirt part, this is how I did it. I heated up a 1.5mm drill bit, poked it through the rubber layer of the tire. Find an unused servo eyelet/bushing, and fit it in the hole Shake off the trapped dirt inside. Remove the eyelet when done (well of course you do)

The dirt is bluish because the foams are blue

As for my 2nd problem....I plan to freeze the tires so the CA will just shatter once force is applied. Will update you guys
Old 05-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Regular

You plan on throwing the tires in a freezer and hope the glue peels off?

I dont think that will work, if it did, that would be awesome, no more stinky oven techniques!
Old 05-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by new to rc cars
You plan on throwing the tires in a freezer and hope the glue peels off?

I dont think that will work, if it did, that would be awesome, no more stinky oven techniques!
You got it wrong I plan to freeze it in the freezer, take out the tire when I consider it's cold enough, and break the CA seam with one of the swiss army knife thingy (the piece that has a flat sharp edge).

I'll post on my progress later
Old 05-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

You got it wrong I plan to freeze it in the freezer, take out the tire when I consider it's cold enough, and break the CA seam with one of the swiss army knife thingy (the piece that has a flat sharp edge).

I'll post on my progress later
Yeah... thats what I said, except the pocket knife.

Deep freeze would work better.

What do you mean by "CA seam"

Id like to see if this works, I dont think it will, I dont think cold affects the glue much, its the heat that destroys it.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by new to rc cars

What do you mean by "CA seam"
Err, it's the lining of CA glue along the gap between the rubber and the plastic. I'm kinda hoping I could pry it open. Worth a shot...now all I need is a super cold freezer, i just can't wait that long

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.