Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
XB8EC Tires and Wheel Choices >

XB8EC Tires and Wheel Choices

XB8EC Tires and Wheel Choices

Old 05-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default XB8EC Tires and Wheel Choices

I recently purchased an XB8EC race roller on the forums here, and it needs some tires and wheels.
I've been looking at some items for sale on here:

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=218272

Would any of these work, and if so, which would you recommend from the choices in that thread? It's my first 1/8 nitro buggy and I am having some trouble figuring out what brands work with what, what is compatible with my car, etc.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I was reading through and realized you just linked to my thread.

To elaborate a bit; the Xray doesn't require a special wheel design.

Much like 2.2 truck tires/wheels; 1/8 buggy wheels/tires are pretty standard for the most part. Tires/wheels interchange between chassis mfg's since most all utilize the same hex size and offset.

The Ofna/Jammin' dish wheels are near mirror images of the Proline Velocity design. The standard 1/8 buggy wheel hex size is 17mm, and after looking on the Xray site, I see no potential weird clearance issues.

Tires would be best determined by what surface you run on. I have the Jammin' tires available right now, which are very similar to the PL CrimeFighters. They are slightly taller/larger tread blocks which makes them slightly better on surfaces with more loam/loose dirt on top.

A LOT of guys run the PL CrimeFighters on a variety of track surfaces. If you run them and glue them yourself, I'd suggest you look into using the Ofna molded foams (orange) in the newer PL carcass pattern. They last longer than the PL molded inserts.

Take a look and see what the fast guys are running at your local track for tires; thats usually the best thing to do so you don't waste money hunting a tread pattern that works.

Enjoy the new car and best of luck.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Thanks for the info twice! I'll take another look when I get home from work today and probably be contacting you about a purchase. Thanks again, I just like to cover my bases before I drop cash on something and with all the different cars/systems/parts compatibility today (especially with the numerous 1/8 buggy choices) you can never be too careful.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pauly6401
Thanks for the info twice! I'll take another look when I get home from work today and probably be contacting you about a purchase. Thanks again, I just like to cover my bases before I drop cash on something and with all the different cars/systems/parts compatibility today (especially with the numerous 1/8 buggy choices) you can never be too careful.
Haha, sorry about that; I didn't realize this was you until I had typed everything

Its ALWAYS best to ask and be careful.

Kyosho used to be the oddball years ago; as they had a 19mm hex...while everyone else was 17. Glad everyone kind of settled down a bit.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mblgjr
Haha, sorry about that; I didn't realize this was you until I had typed everything

Its ALWAYS best to ask and be careful.

Kyosho used to be the oddball years ago; as they had a 19mm hex...while everyone else was 17. Glad everyone kind of settled down a bit.
just for the record... I think my mbx5 has 17mm hex, and I have himoto rims that are too big... about 2mm to big. so kyosho isint the only one.