Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Question about 1/8 buggy clutch bell tolerances >

Question about 1/8 buggy clutch bell tolerances

Question about 1/8 buggy clutch bell tolerances

Old 05-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)
Default Question about 1/8 buggy clutch bell tolerances

I was wondering this. To anyone that has an engine handy with a clutch system mounted on it. If you look at the front of the engine where the crank screw holds the bell on. Can you move the clutch bell any side to side? I know you have the normal clutch bell end play(forward/backwards) play that you adjust with shims, but do you have any side to side play?

I noticed on my losi clutch bells that I can actually move the ends of the bell side to side and see a tiny gap in between the bearing and the inside diameter where the bearings sit at.

Is this normal? Because I have been blowing an awful lot of clutch bell bearings lately and thought maybe this was the cause...?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You are correct in your thinking. A worn out bell can put more side load on the bearings which cause them to fail sooner. Time for a new bell.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Suspended

I forgot to mention I tried the same clutch setup on a brand new engine and a used one and it did the same thing. So I'm assuming it's a worn out bell. The bell has about 2-3 gallons on it and then I tried the one off my truggy that has about 1 gallon on it and it did the same thing.

Guess it's time for some new bells.......
Old 05-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

are your bearing new or ar they old. i would change them first. i have about 2 gallons on my 8b's bell and its fine
Old 05-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MattP
I forgot to mention I tried the same clutch setup on a brand new engine and a used one and it did the same thing. So I'm assuming it's a worn out bell. The bell has about 2-3 gallons on it and then I tried the one off my truggy that has about 1 gallon on it and it did the same thing.

Guess it's time for some new bells.......
Just making sure... don't be offended... but you ARE using the 2 different bearing sizes that are needed for a Losi bell, right? (Inner bearing is bigger, outer is the same as everyone else uses...)
Old 05-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Suspended

I only use new bearings. I bought 20 advantage racing bearings and 20 Avid bearings.

Yes I'm using the correct bearing sizes of 5x13(inner) and 5x10(outer).