Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
types of pullstarts? >

types of pullstarts?

types of pullstarts?

Old 04-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default types of pullstarts?

How do you tell what type of pullstart you have?

I need a new one for my LRP Z.28 spec.

I want to buy this one :http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEDW:IT&ih=015

Ive been told that "if you have a one way bearing that will fit it then it should fit the engine. remember this is a "k" series pullstart so u need a "k" series one way bearing."

so will it fit or what?

thanks.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

Anyone?!?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by new to rc cars
Anyone?!?
Ummm... hmmm... well... $17 + shipping for a pullstart, and they break frequently, take lots of effort to use, and can cause a lot of frustration...

vs. $75 or so for a starter box. Get a starter box.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Ummm... hmmm... well... $17 + shipping for a pullstart, and they break frequently, take lots of effort to use, and can cause a lot of frustration...

vs. $75 or so for a starter box. Get a starter box.
dont mean to be rude but... what happens when my car is a half KM away from me and dies out... Ive either gotta carry a 20 lb starter box all the way to my car, or walk to my car, grab it, and walk all the way back to the box.

im sticking with PS FOREVER!! they DONT take a lot of effort to use, literally one or two pulls and my engine is started, it usually starts on the first pull. And they dont break that often, I take them off to clean them and have them explode on me, but I wont let that happen again, I learned a few tricks when taking it off

and dont forget to mention that the starter box is 75$, the battery for it is 25$, the charger for that battery is 10$, then its just one more huge piece of equipment to haul around, and for what? a 1% increase in engine power? No thanks, Ill stick with the good ol' PS

but youre right, in the long run, starter boxes are a bit cheaper, but not worth the hassle IMO. Money isint an issue for me, between tires, gas, parts, and tools, im ok with spending 20$ every 2 or 3 months on a new PS.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

1% gain huh...... most people here will tell u to get a bump start.....pull stars just plain suck....if u get ur car runing right you wont have to walk back to it until you either A) run out of gas or B) break something.... just do yourself a HUGE favor a buy a starter box.....
Old 05-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KThatcher
1% gain huh...... most people here will tell u to get a bump start.....pull stars just plain suck....if u get ur car runing right you wont have to walk back to it until you either A) run out of gas or B) break something.... just do yourself a HUGE favor a buy a starter box.....
I heard it was pretty insignificant.

The specs for a LRP Z.28 spec PS is like 3.8 HP
The specs for a LRP Z.28 spec bumpstart is like 3.9 HP... go figure

I know most people will tell me to get bump start, i dont want one though.

And youre right, my car is running right and I dont have to check on it until A or B happens, but sometimes I let my friends try it and stuff, Im just a big fan of PS, I dont see anything wrong with them. Heat the engine with a blowdryer, blow into the pressure line to push gas to the carb, insert igniter, 1 pull on the PS and shes running.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

I heard it was pretty insignificant.

The specs for a LRP Z.28 spec PS is like 3.8 HP
The specs for a LRP Z.28 spec bumpstart is like 3.9 HP... go figure

I know most people will tell me to get bump start, i dont want one though.

And youre right, my car is running right and I dont have to check on it until A or B happens, but sometimes I let my friends try it and stuff, Im just a big fan of PS, I dont see anything wrong with them. Heat the engine with a blowdryer, blow into the pressure line to push gas to the carb, insert igniter, 1 pull on the PS and shes running.
Hmmmm.. ok, your choice. Just trying to help you out.

I've personally broken the rope on a pullstart... had the handle flop over and wrap around the wheel...

I've had to yank and yank and yank when the weather changed enough to have a tune change...

Bad glow plug??? how many times will you yank before you figure it out?

One hand on starter, one holding the car/ignitor, one had for the throttle control... ummmm... oops... how many hands do you have? If the engine is being balky, you're gonna need to nurse the trigger a bit.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Hmmmm.. ok, your choice. Just trying to help you out.

I've personally broken the rope on a pullstart... had the handle flop over and wrap around the wheel...

I've had to yank and yank and yank when the weather changed enough to have a tune change...

Bad glow plug??? how many times will you yank before you figure it out?

One hand on starter, one holding the car/ignitor, one had for the throttle control... ummmm... oops... how many hands do you have? If the engine is being balky, you're gonna need to nurse the trigger a bit.
I appreciate your help. The strings on the PS are pretty tough, ive had mine come a tiny bit loost, but not enough to wrap around the wheel, although I have been worried about that before.

My weather changes from -20 to + 20 in 2 days, As far as I can remember, Im still runnning stock settings and my car rips!

If the car doesnt start in 3 pulls, I plug the end of the pipe with my finger, 95% of the time that does the trick and it gets it starting. If it doesnt start with my finger on the end of the pipe after 3 or 4 pulls, then i put it back on the table and take a look to see whats wrong.

I put the remote in my left hand, pullstart in my right hand, glow igniter just sits there... it has clips on it so you dont have to hold it down manually, then i put my foot on the tire to hold the car down, give it 1 or 2 pulls and its started!

question about my igniter... I have this one: http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=3030

It supposedly has a "glow plug tester" to see if your glow plug is good or bad... how exactly does that work?

Ive fooled around with the igniter and noticed it will beep AS LONG as theres metal touching the end of it.... so weather the glow plug is dead or not, wont it still beep, as the glow plug is metal?

What exactly is a dead glow plug? what is it that breaks? the little coil on the bottom?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

I appreciate your help. The strings on the PS are pretty tough, ive had mine come a tiny bit loost, but not enough to wrap around the wheel, although I have been worried about that before.

My weather changes from -20 to + 20 in 2 days, As far as I can remember, Im still runnning stock settings and my car rips!

If the car doesnt start in 3 pulls, I plug the end of the pipe with my finger, 95% of the time that does the trick and it gets it starting. If it doesnt start with my finger on the end of the pipe after 3 or 4 pulls, then i put it back on the table and take a look to see whats wrong.

I put the remote in my left hand, pullstart in my right hand, glow igniter just sits there... it has clips on it so you dont have to hold it down manually, then i put my foot on the tire to hold the car down, give it 1 or 2 pulls and its started!

question about my igniter... I have this one: http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=3030

It supposedly has a "glow plug tester" to see if your glow plug is good or bad... how exactly does that work?

Ive fooled around with the igniter and noticed it will beep AS LONG as theres metal touching the end of it.... so weather the glow plug is dead or not, wont it still beep, as the glow plug is metal?

What exactly is a dead glow plug? what is it that breaks? the little coil on the bottom?
Yeah, the little coil breaks. If the coil has continuity, the plug is generally good. If the coil doesn't have continuity you don't have a complete circuit, so no beep on the tester. BTW they can LOOK good but not BE good.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, the little coil breaks. If the coil has continuity, the plug is generally good. If the coil doesn't have continuity you don't have a complete circuit, so no beep on the tester. BTW they can LOOK good but not BE good.
hmmm, id like to test that igniter. I still think it would beep on a broke glow plug, as long as theres metal toughing the ingniter, but im probably wrong.