Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
mugen ninja jx engines >

mugen ninja jx engines

mugen ninja jx engines

Old 04-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default mugen ninja jx engines

hey all: since the new mugen ninja jx .21 engine is o.s. based does this meen it's a joint effort between mugen and o.s. or just made by o.s. with mugen's ninja name on it? Also will there be on and off road .12's coming in the new ninja jx line as welll and how soon? Thanks
Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Mugen now uses the OS engines as their Ninja JX line. The .12 onroad is the next engine to come out, then the .21 onroad. The Mugen 1/8 onroad guys are using JP racing in the meantime. Not sure about the .12 offroad.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im bummed that os is making the new ninja as there goes ninja's reliability. I love my falcon and that is similar to the old ninjas.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by blowpopracer
Im bummed that os is making the new ninja as there goes ninja's reliability. I love my falcon and that is similar to the old ninjas.
If you ran onroad, you'll see how problems the old Ninja's had. They also didn't make enough power to keep up with the others.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hahaha you have it backwards, here comes reliability for ninjas! i saw 2 jx motors go at a national event this weekend and they went heaps well as good as an os motor, maybe because the are hahaha.I talked to the factory mugen driver and he said that the jx was night and day better than his old ninjas in every aspect! especially power,runtime and reliability!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have heard nothing but good things about the GRP/Ninja/Falcon engines.
I run a Ninja .21 (GRP made) and couldnt be happier, I pull on OS engines on straightaways all teh time
Old 04-30-2008, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MadRussian
I have heard nothing but good things about the GRP/Ninja/Falcon engines.
I run a Ninja .21 (GRP made) and couldnt be happier, I pull on OS engines on straightaways all teh time
Start read here and you'll see what I'm talking about.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...t=95814&page=6

I know someone with 3 of these, all had to be sent back due to bottom end failure. Not sure about the offroad version. I sold mine. Parts were not available.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I haven't seen any specs for the new Ninja. Is it just a re-branded V spec, or some new OS design?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by captain america
I haven't seen any specs for the new Ninja. Is it just a re-branded V spec, or some new OS design?
Is a 5 port OS engine in a reworked case.

http://www.ninja-engine.com/content_...iew.php?lang=0
Old 04-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

The JX is 5 ports(Vspec is 3) it uses the OS 28xz case. The crank is DLC coated like the Speed crank. Motor looks real good, I was planning to buy a Speed but might go this route instead..
Old 04-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Very interesting. I'm starting to wonder if Mugen isn't doing what they did with GRP: strike a deal for exclusive badging on a mill for 1-2 years before the manufacturer releases the mill under their own branding.

Then again, I shouldn't use the word "exclusive" regarding GRP, since it was also branded as a Falcon, but you get the idea. If OS can get back to what made them popular in the first place (reliable & easy to tune) with this new mill then it certainly becomes an interesting option.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

The Speed is very easy to tune, so much so, it had my friends bewildered as they were touching the needles as if it were an Italian mill. During break-in runs, you'll turn the needles alot towards the lean side, more than you would other brands. Thing is, it makes a lot of power even when rich.

The only thing the JX doesn't have is the double balanced crank like the Speed. Not sure if it has the ceramic back bearing either. Here is the exploded parts catalog I posted in the MBX5R thread a while ago.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
exploded_view_jx21-b01j.pdf (177.0 KB, 239 views)
Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

I just checked the parts in Japan and it appears to have a stock steel bearing, no ceramic.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

it has a regular bearing and you're right about the crank.
regarding the durability of the grp ninjas i have to say that i have no regret on it i had one that was my race motor that lasted me over 20 gallons with 3 resizings in records i gues i was lucky i'm selling my spare grp ninja with the parts that were left from the race motor only because of the sponsorship deal that a got now with maxy on the motors because as ezveedub could say i'm a huge fan of the old ninjas and i had 3 of them.
The new jx ninja is a state of the racing art motor that has a pretty good combination of successfull engines like the xz.28 and the os speed v spec with the addition of those spicy 5 ports it should be a relyable easy to tune fast motor that i plan to try in a near future.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I felt the OS Speed was very mild and smooth compared to what I am used to..it worked awesome on the dusty hard pack track at the Canadian Nationals...The modified Picco's were night and day stronger, but the OS Speed was by far the easiest to drive.......... my OS 28 was a monster, it ran flawless and made unbelievable power and run time.. Both the OS motors were exceptionally easy to tune, almost child's play really... My RB C6 was a nightmare next to the OS Speed........ But I also have a few GRP built engines and I think they are simply amazing as well........ IMHO you cannot go wrong with either GRP or OS....I am very eager to modify one of the new OS Ninja engines, as my modified OS 28 turned out amazing.... I know my post is completely OT, but I feel both OS and GRP have outstanding products..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.