R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default 8IGHT 'V' RC8

Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked before but i'm new to the Nitro game(usually 1/10th electric). I don't want the view of i have an 8ight so its the best, but genuine comparisons between the two. If you have owned both, which is better and how.
Here in the uk i can get the rc8 cheaper but will it need more upgrades than the losi?
Which would suit a 10th driver best?? Hope someone can help sway me one way or the other
Thanks in avance
griff55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to playboy Send a message via Skype™ to playboy

the rc8 handles like its on rails and it is extremely precise and it is very edgy.
the 8ight is more loose and all over

if it were for me i would get the rc8 just because everything is just more tighter

good luck
cya
playboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

I know one person who has raced both... went from the RC8 to the Losi, but not because of differences in the cars. I've asked him your question and will post his response as soon as I get it. I know he liked the RC8, and I also know he's pleased with the Losi... I've asked him to compare and let me know what he thinks of each, differences in performance and "behavior" on the track.

I can tell you that if you have been racing 1/10th offroad electric that either of those cars will make you happy... they're both "finesse" cars like what you are used to.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #4

Default TOUGH CALL

I've had both - very tough call.

The RC8 drives beautifully, the 8ight flies slightly better in my opinion.

I would say that the parts on the 8ight seems a little beefier than the RC8, not that the RC8 is bad.

Losi also has a pretty nice slection of upgrades out now like the flex chassis, lightwieght outdrives, adjustable blocks, etc.

Very tough call, both are quality competition level cars.
Reznor88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Let me throw another buggy into the mix for you, to confuse matters more:

The new XRay 808 is VERY similar to the Losi... but with XRay parts quality. It might be worth a look. If I were shopping for a new car that's what I would probably get.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

I saw the 808 going for the first time at the weekend. The car looked good and very well made, but i would personaly like to stick with ae or losi as parts will be more readily available where i am living.
Over here we mainly race on high grip(grass) or astro turf tracks so the losi may be the better choice if the rc8 is more twitchy?
mmmmm, what to do!!
griff55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to IanWright

Where in the UK are you? I haven't really raced a Losi although i have driven a few and to be honest, have been surrounded by them for the past 8 months or so. I drive an RC8 and have been really impressed with it and gotten some great results bettering myself from my first car.

I just typed a really long post but honestly i can't see much between them in the cheques and balances department. I agree with Reznor88 and would add that the Losi is proven and the RC8 is proving itself. I have driven it since about a month after it came out and i'm enjoying learning about the car with everyone else, and that the option parts are now coming through rather than wanting to go spend a bunch of cash in one hit

The track i spend most time on is astro and the Losi has dominated - it realy suits it... and now so does the RC8. Both are nimble quick cars that are well balanced. I have heard a lot of people say about both cars that they are closest to driving electric in the Nitro field... i would say get to a few tracks and watch them go round and go ask the drivers how they get on with them.

I haven't helped have I? I do love my RC8 and if i was to change it would be a Losi, but i don't see that i will... i doubt you would regret either of them.

Last edited by IanWright; 04-29-2008 at 10:57 AM.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

I have driven both cars. Both have there plusses and minuses. I find that the RC8 holds a line better onpower and you can drive it like the other typical 8th scales. however, the losi requires more pricision in the driving style. To make the car consistant and fast drive it like a electric car. and like you ave noted the losi handles the air and bumps better than the rc8 but throw some BB shocks on the rc8 and is comes very close to the losi in that department. It will all come down to if you wana be a losi man or a associated man. I am a Losi man myself.
micrors4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I dont know which is best, both can be setup good on any track by a good driver. I also ran 1/10th scale modified classes for years. Once you jump into one of these the first thing you will think is it has no motor..LOL even if you have the best one out there, they are not that wild punch of modified electric. The twitchy part I have not found one that is as twichy as mod buggy can be. One question I did have for you is what upgrades are you needing for the rc8? the things different are very very cheap to get. I was having a hard time deciding as well. The rc8 and Losi here at the time were very close in price, it came down to 1. I would have wanted the losi flex chasssis which was another 80 to 90 dollars. and to top it off I have heard they wear faster. That in itself was enough for me to decide to go with the RC8.
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Elam View Post
I dont know which is best, both can be setup good on any track by a good driver. I also ran 1/10th scale modified classes for years. Once you jump into one of these the first thing you will think is it has no motor..LOL even if you have the best one out there, they are not that wild punch of modified electric. The twitchy part I have not found one that is as twichy as mod buggy can be. One question I did have for you is what upgrades are you needing for the rc8? the things different are very very cheap to get. I was having a hard time deciding as well. The rc8 and Losi here at the time were very close in price, it came down to 1. I would have wanted the losi flex chasssis which was another 80 to 90 dollars. and to top it off I have heard they wear faster. That in itself was enough for me to decide to go with the RC8.
That's a good point on the Losi wear. There is a bit more to maintain the Losi compared to some other buggies... but Losi parts are some of the least expensive in the industry. 3 particular areas that I know of wear are: Ackerman plate bushings (there's a mod on the Losi thread that I have done to mine, problem solved, for about $2) center differential cases (there is an upgraded one with metal inserts to solve that, less than $10) and the front-center CVA shaft. (Sorry, no fix for that- it wears faster than most buggies due to the extreme angle of the shaft.)

For a comparative price for parts, here is a good example:

I have a front top plate that cracked around the screw hole from over-tightening a screw. The replacement for that and the chassis brace (they come as a set) was about $5. I haven't put it on, as it hasn't failed yet... the parts are sitting in my toolbox waiting to see how long it takes to get worse.

On my old Mugen MBX5 Prospec, the front top plate alone was about $16... and I managed to break 2 of those.

Although the flex chassis is nice, the car is competitive without it of course. On the RC8, everyone I know that runs one adds Jammin "super big bore" shocks to get it to handle the rough stuff better. (But then again, in Europe you don't have the "supercross" style tracks with the huge jumps and rutted, blown-out surfaces that we run on here in the US, so that may not be an issue.) The Losi of course comes with the big bore shocks to begin with (and now everyone is copying them...)

One other area to consider on cost is tools: The Losi uses SAE sizes for hardware, in other words, fractions of an inch, instead of Metric like virtually every other manufacturer.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to IanWright

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
...to handle the rough stuff better.(But then again, in Europe you don't have the "supercross" style tracks with the huge jumps and rutted, blown-out surfaces that we run on here in the US, so that may not be an issue.)
That's not a strictly true cliche, all dirt tracks rut out and although not every track has super cross style jumps going on they do exist and, rough sections are more common than you would think given the comments thrown out on more U.S based forums. If anything there is a larger variety... grass tracks, Astro tracks, multi surface tracks (Wood, concrete, grass, astro and dirt in one lap). True in that i haven't seen anything that matches what i have seen in the states as far as air time goes barring the NEO event, but shocks still well and truly get put through their paces... and rythm sections are not unheard of
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Domit, now I know why you asked that question......

Anyway, I have owned/raced both and must say they are both great cars, but suit different driving styles.

RC8: More planted car that likes to be driven smoothly. Initially the car seems to wear a lot in the first 1-2 gallons, but then doesn't seem to wear at all. The wear at 5 gallons seemed to be the same as when it had 2 gallons on it. Can be setup to be a bit looser, but loses some predictability in doing so. Parts are relatively cheap, but I hardly had to replace anything after adding the service kit (Included updated hinge pin plates with longer diff screws and top plate). Relatively low maintenance

Losi 8: Car is generally loose and likes to be driven that way. Car can be pushed without loosing it's composure. If you take the time to find the setup that works for you (i.e. not just a team drivers posted setup) can be faster. Parts wear is a much bigger issue, so if you are not big on maintenance I would stay away from the losi. Parts are cheap, which is good. Not that it breaks a lot, but you have to keep up with the diffs making sure they are shimed right and greased, checking camber link ends, etc.

Between the 2, I am faster with the Losi, so I have sold the RC8. I am not big on maintenance, but do it because the car seems to suit me well. Part of it, is that if I get behind or mess up, I can push the losi harder to make up time.
jsmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Forgot to add, if you get the RC8, do yourself a favor and ditch the stock caps and baldders up front. Use Xray or Mugen caps and bladders and the shocks are considerably better. Still not big bores, but work well. Or you can go the the 1/10 emulsion style using the stock shocks and the RTR plastic caps and no bladder (actually the bladder is cut around the ring as you still have to have it to seal).
jsmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Had both, RC8 is almost like a cheap RTR made in farrrr east! Yes, it does drive well,but old tech, nothing special.In the beginning you think it is an awesome buggy, but soon you will find that youre not as fast as you thought.
No need to make an issue of something just because its American, it's not!!!!
Losi..... Maybe thats why other manufacturers are looking for ideas there.Easy to maintain,clean, drives very well, respond to setup changes and best of all,you dont have to drive it hard to be quick!
Mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think once you put the team setup on it helps out a ton on rough track, I am sure the 16mm big bores would be even better. But I also feel that is kind of like the flex chassis on the losi, it may be a little better but not a must have. The rtr plastic shock caps with the 1.4 pistons and 2 additional holes drilled to 1.1mm and 50wt to 55wt front and rear. as far as money for the additional stuff the caps are very cheap like 5 bucks or something. I also made a piece for my steering knuckles to help strenthen them, and also cut my front shocktower so it would be 2 pieces. you can then take the tower off with only taking the 4 screws out instead of messing with the 2 in the diff housing. I will admit there was a decent amount of time changing everything over to the team setup, but it was very cheap and well worth it in my opinion. but back to the point. I am not aruging AE over Losi in any way. I Think both cars are very very good. As a matter of fact I feel the Jammin, kyosho, AE, and Losi are all very good cars. I didnt care alot for my Mbx5r but im sure the next one will be very good as well. Oh and Not to leave Xray out. As far as prices go Losi and AE are ahead of all in my books.
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote