R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Byrons Gen 2 or Odonnell race blend (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/219443-byrons-gen-2-odonnell-race-blend.html)

MJ86GT 04-28-2008 04:38 PM

Byrons Gen 2 or Odonnell race blend

I'm at a point to where I need more fuel to run the buggy with RB S7 and the CRT .5 with a Picco 12. I've been running Odonnell Race blend but my local shop doesnt carry it anymore. They are now carrying Byrons Gen 2. Any opinions on fuels?

Also, what percents should be run?

rcrevolution 04-28-2008 04:55 PM

Byrons Gen2, it doesnt leave behind any ornage residue like O'Donnell's

MadRussian 04-28-2008 05:06 PM

I run Byrons Gen 2 and love it

OTE_TheMissile 04-28-2008 05:12 PM

I ran O'Donnell's in my O.S. 12CV powered GT2 all last year and liked it, then made the switch to Byrons this spring. I'm liking the Byrons

chris c 04-28-2008 07:37 PM

BYRONS gen 2 is the only thing i will run.....I have tried quite a few different fuels and always back to byrons!!!

Furadi 04-28-2008 07:54 PM

Just switched from OD 30% to Gen 2 25% race, tonight actually. I LOVE IT, I had to lean it out a bit to even get it up to temp. Even at 230 im blowing lots of smoke so I can probably stand to lean it out a bit.

UN4RACING 04-28-2008 08:47 PM

Can any one tell me why one is better than the other? I would think to much lubricant would get less mileage and more burning causing it to run hotter and the thicker fuel would be bad in the extreme heat wouldn't it?

I am running O'Donnel and get awesome mileage and it burn cleaner I think. I prefer less additives when racing.

huskerfreak 04-28-2008 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by UN4RACING (Post 4397668)
Can any one tell me why one is better than the other? I would think to much lubricant would get less mileage and more burning causing it to run hotter and the thicker fuel would be bad in the extreme heat wouldn't it?

I am running O'Donnel and get awesome mileage and it burn cleaner I think. I prefer less additives when racing.

The race blend fuel has 9% oil content. This not any more than any other race blend fuel. It is actually the type of oil they used. It is also the way they blend the fuel. I have gotten close to 9 minutes of run time on Jammin .21

All i have to say is that with this fuel you can run gallon or more take your engine apart and if tuned correctly you will not be able to tell that the engine has ever been ran. When I say tuned correctly I mean on running it to lean and a causing over heating.

You can leave Byron's in the tank of your vehicle and have know worries of your engine rusting. The fuel is superior to Odonell by far.

The on road guys have been running Byron's for years and it is good to see that the off road guys are finally seeing how good this fuel really is.

Everyone knows how much more the on road guys try to get out of there motors so you need a good fuel to get those engines to wine.

UN4RACING 04-28-2008 09:26 PM

Thanks for the input. I plan to try some so I guess now would be as good as any time.
I have a new O.S. .28 so I will run it from the break in and try it out.

paulj2 04-29-2008 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by huskerfreak (Post 4397724)
The race blend fuel has 9% oil content.

Race blend has 11% oil and Pro blend has 9%.

topcat-lll 04-29-2008 09:54 AM

Byron's has a color dye in it, Odonell is naturally clear= 100% racer blend.
Plus Odonell has a white UV ray blocking container unlike Byron's clear
bottle that shows off it's orange dye.Dyes are gimmicky and do not improve
performance.

UN4RACING 04-29-2008 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by topcat-lll (Post 4399239)
Byron's has a color dye in it, Odonell is naturally clear= 100% racer blend.
Plus Odonell has a white UV ray blocking container unlike Byron's clear
bottle that shows off it's orange dye.Dyes are gimmicky and do not improve
performance.

This is on the line of my thinking when it comes to racing. I guess the split between the 2 are the Pro and race blends.?
I may just stick to it, its great about a consistent tune and I would say in part to its purity. While fuels with a mixture would be more subject to inconsistent tuning.?
And fuel does spoil. So the container is important in that aspect. The only thing is to maintain after run oil when not using the motor. I think I may have just talked myself into sticking with the O'Donnel.

rcdude69 04-29-2008 11:14 AM

Byrons has more experience making fuel, and makes more fuel, than most of the other brands put together. Their mixing facilities are computer controlled and were built specificially for blending fuel.
It takes long term exposure to UV rays to break down nitro molecules. Most people use their fuel quick enough that UV exposure is not even an issue. Whats more common and causes fuel to go bad quicker than anything else, is the methanol absorbing moisture from the air. How well does that "White" bottle keep moisture out of the fuel??......yes moisture can pass thru the plastic bottle. As far as the dyes go, I couldn't say wheather Byrons adds dyes or not, but I highly doubt it. I really don't care what color my fuel is, as long as it works like it's supposed too.
I know what your thinking..."your just pushing Byrons because your sponsored by them"......Well, I would push Byrons regardless if I was sponsored by them or not. I've used Byrons fuel in airplanes and helicopters as far back as 1990, and I never gave it a second thought as to what fuel I was going to run in my nitro cars and trucks. The GEN2 fuel does everthing Byrons says it will do. I have leaned my engines as much as 3 hours and the engines still run cooler than they did before.....and thats with 2% less oil. And, in addition, the less oil thats in the fuel, the more completely and efficiently the fuel will burn in the combustion chamber, effectively gaining better fuel mileage.

UN4RACING 04-29-2008 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by rcdude69 (Post 4399437)
Byrons has more experience making fuel, and makes more fuel, than most of the other brands put together. Their mixing facilities are computer controlled and were built specificially for blending fuel.
It takes long term exposure to UV rays to break down nitro molecules. Most people use their fuel quick enough that UV exposure is not even an issue. Whats more common and causes fuel to go bad quicker than anything else, is the methanol absorbing moisture from the air. How well does that "White" bottle keep moisture out of the fuel??......yes moisture can pass thru the plastic bottle. As far as the dyes go, I couldn't say wheather Byrons adds dyes or not, but I highly doubt it. I really don't care what color my fuel is, as long as it works like it's supposed too.
I know what your thinking..."your just pushing Byrons because your sponsored by them"......Well, I would push Byrons regardless if I was sponsored by them or not. I've used Byrons fuel in airplanes and helicopters as far back as 1990, and I never gave it a second thought as to what fuel I was going to run in my nitro cars and trucks. The GEN2 fuel does everthing Byrons says it will do. I have leaned my engines as much as 3 hours and the engines still run cooler than they did before.....and thats with 2% less oil. And, in addition, the less oil thats in the fuel, the more completely and efficiently the fuel will burn in the combustion chamber, effectively gaining better fuel mileage.

Ok well I'm sold again I was hoping to here from a sponsored or representative. I'll give it a try and get back after my 1st gallon is gone. Later.

Revo-lution 04-29-2008 11:51 AM

I've always had excellent results from Odonnels. They have been winning championships for a looooooong time. One of the posters above acts like byrons is the only fuel people that use a computer. I heard they quit mixing it by guessing years ago at odonnels. ;) C'mon, Odonnels is pure bred racing fuel and and always keeps my engines running to 8 gallons.