Wiki Posts
Search

Byrons Gen 2 or Odonnell race blend

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cherokee180c
I just tried Byrons 30% Race Gen2 tonight and my car really screams with it. Quick question though, the motor showed good smoke while accelerating, but it was hard to see any smoke at full throttle. It came right back down to idle consistently, but my temperatures were really low at 180deg. F. I leaned it out a bit more and the same thing happened, but my temps were around 200 deg. F. I normally run around 230deg. F. Are you fine to keep leaning it out if the temps stay low and there is no lean bog, or should I be seeing smoke at full throttle? I love this fuel so far, but it runs way different than normal fuels! I don't know if using a turbo head makes any difference or not as far as seeing the smoke, but I just installed that tonight for the first time, which is why I was doing a rough tune on the engine in the first place. Thanks for any help.
The Gen2 does seem to show less smoke to me, most likely the new lubrication package over the Gen1. We have leaned ours slightly to get temp back up and I like to see just a wisper of smoke at the end of a long straight. If I see a large puff, then I know I'm usually to rich on the bottom and will not be as crisp and not excellerate as fast as it is trying to clear all that excess fuel out of the crackcase when you get on the throttle.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

IMO I would not tune your engine to temp alone. Tune it to where you get the best performance while still seeing a little smoke. Although you are seeing cooler temps, this dosn't mean that the motor is getting enough fuel to provide proper lubrication. Personally, I don't mind giving up a tad bit of performance to insure the motor is getting proper lubrication. Running a motor at it's maximum performance won't help a bit if it burns up 1/2 way thru a main. Most race motors put out more power than you can get to the ground, effectively, anyway.