R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo-lution View Post
I've always had excellent results from Odonnels. They have been winning championships for a looooooong time. One of the posters above acts like byrons is the only fuel people that use a computer. I heard they quit mixing it by guessing years ago at odonnels. C'mon, Odonnels is pure bred racing fuel and and always keeps my engines running to 8 gallons.
Have you tried Gen 2? Not going to hurt to try it right? With Od I can only run up to about 230 before performance starts to go.. With Gen 2 Im at 240ish and I need to lean it out a bit more. So my run times are going to better. and the Gen 2 25% gives much more power than Od 30%.
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #17
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat-lll View Post
Byron's has a color dye in it, Odonell is naturally clear= 100% racer blend.
Plus Odonell has a white UV ray blocking container unlike Byron's clear
bottle that shows off it's orange dye.Dyes are gimmicky and do not improve
performance.
I love OD fuel, it runs great, tunes great and makes really good power ( Nitrotane makes more HP tho) but regardless OD is what I have been running for a while....... But I will no longer be running OD fuel, I run at indoor events int he winter time and I find it impossible to tell how much fuel is in my tank using OD fuel... with all the smoke at an indoor event visibility is very poor, and trying to deal with invisible fuel is a nightmare..This year at the Canadian Winter Nats I was unable to tell how much fuel was in tanks, which sucked for both gauging run time as well as when refueling... I will never again run a clear fuel ....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Odonnel fuel SUCKS!

lol. It's true though, it does. Have you ever held a car, or pitted for a driver who uses Odonnel fuel? Have you ever wanted to rip your own eyes out of your head because the fumes BURN them so badly? Well, if you use Odonnels, you will be litterelly crying from the pain.

Use Byrons, it's better...for your health.

And before people flame me for my opinion, think to yourself, "is he wrong about the burning sensation in my eyes"...the answer you will come up with is "no".
Crim3Wav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim3Wav3 View Post
Odonnel fuel SUCKS!

lol. It's true though, it does. Have you ever held a car, or pitted for a driver who uses Odonnel fuel? Have you ever wanted to rip your own eyes out of your head because the fumes BURN them so badly? Well, if you use Odonnels, you will be litterelly crying from the pain.

Use Byrons, it's better...for your health.

And before people flame me for my opinion, think to yourself, "is he wrong about the burning sensation in my eyes"...the answer you will come up with is "no".
Actually, for me, Byrons Gen 2 hurts my eyes way more than Od. But I still prefer Gen 2
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

really??? That's the first time i've EVER heard that...I'm serious.
Crim3Wav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #21
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I did a little browsing research and found based on there web sites and on there info offered that the most transparent was the Byrons fuel. Its proof they are proud and confident that there fuel is of the best quality. If you have a Q about there fuel its there for the reading. Bravo.
http://www.byronfuels.com/pages/race_gen2.html

Now the O'Donnel is very mysterious on there site as to there top secret formula. I couldn't find any data. Even though right now I run there fuel and have no complaints, if I were new I would run the Byrons just on the knowledge of what I'm running.
http://www.odonnellracing.com/index.html

I'll look forward to trying this Byrons.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

DONT NO IF THIS IS TRUE BUT A COUPLE OF PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME THAT A NEW GUY IS DOING THE OD FUEL AND THAT A FEW PEOPLE HAVE HAD RUST ISSUES
mxnut273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo-lution View Post
I've always had excellent results from Odonnels. They have been winning championships for a looooooong time. One of the posters above acts like byrons is the only fuel people that use a computer. I heard they quit mixing it by guessing years ago at odonnels. C'mon, Odonnels is pure bred racing fuel and and always keeps my engines running to 8 gallons.
I'm sure O'Donnell fuel is fine for you and no one is telling you not to run it. Sorry your missing out on running a superior fuel. As far as championships go......the guys that win those championships get their motors for free, so it's no big deal if they don't last. Not a very good option if you have to pay for them.
UN4RACING, you're right, they are transparent. Thats because they have the knowledge and experience and don't have to hide anything. Their site gives you lots of info and is a far cry better than a just paragraph on nitro fuel.
rcdude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

this is gonna sound crazy but here goes. I run 1/8 offroad and 1/10 nitro on road. I usually run 25% maxys in my 1/10 on road and 30% tq fuel in my 1/8 offroad. So I bought a gallon of 25% byrons gen 2 fuel, the 11% oil one because Im tired of using 2 different fuels. My ninja .12 in my mtx4r runs awesome on the new gen 2 fuel. But my rb s7 Im having a hard time tuning with the gen 2 fuel. But when I went back to tq fuel in my rb it would run consistent agian. I did break the rb in with tq fuel and the ninja on maxys. Not sure what to think
Old 04-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #25
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
this is gonna sound crazy but here goes. I run 1/8 offroad and 1/10 nitro on road. I usually run 25% maxys in my 1/10 on road and 30% tq fuel in my 1/8 offroad. So I bought a gallon of 25% byrons gen 2 fuel, the 11% oil one because Im tired of using 2 different fuels. My ninja .12 in my mtx4r runs awesome on the new gen 2 fuel. But my rb s7 Im having a hard time tuning with the gen 2 fuel. But when I went back to tq fuel in my rb it would run consistent agian. I did break the rb in with tq fuel and the ninja on maxys. Not sure what to think
The oil could be the difference. The Byrons is synthetic. I would try a hotter plug.? Or colder?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #26
Tech Initiate

Send a message via Yahoo to nitro stan

i ran OD for a while, tried the gen2 and WON'T be going back
i think byrons has some caster oil in it to, and byrons smells better
nitro stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

try TQ fuel, u wont be disappointed..
xxx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #28
Tech Master

Run 2 gallons of OD & look inside your motor. Clean all the gunk out. Run 2 gallons of gen2, no gunk.
-ROAR 4 cell rule Blows
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice

I just tried Byrons 30% Race Gen2 tonight and my car really screams with it. Quick question though, the motor showed good smoke while accelerating, but it was hard to see any smoke at full throttle. It came right back down to idle consistently, but my temperatures were really low at 180deg. F. I leaned it out a bit more and the same thing happened, but my temps were around 200 deg. F. I normally run around 230deg. F. Are you fine to keep leaning it out if the temps stay low and there is no lean bog, or should I be seeing smoke at full throttle? I love this fuel so far, but it runs way different than normal fuels! I don't know if using a turbo head makes any difference or not as far as seeing the smoke, but I just installed that tonight for the first time, which is why I was doing a rough tune on the engine in the first place. Thanks for any help.
cherokee180c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Odonnell is great fuel. Why bash it. It burns well and leaves everything well lubed. There is no crud from running it. I've run it for 10+ years. I've also raced Sidewinder, Byron, Blue Thunder, Trinity and they all were a little different. They are all very good. Everyone has there preference. If you want to recommend it or try it. That's fine. Then post your results. If I wasn't running something else it would be my choice. Best of Luck to Byron's and everyone that uses it.

There is a very good reason your engine needs to be leaned out with this fuel.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote