R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-29-2008, 01:23 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

Car set up means nothing without the right tyres, they are the biggest tuning aid you have.

Last edited by IanWright; 04-29-2008 at 01:38 AM.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:10 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Nobody is arguing differently. It is just that the stock losi's are no where near as bad as he is describing and there is no way buying new tires is going to shave those kinds of seconds off his lap times. Reading a driving theory book and planning out the lines through the entire course to maximize straight away and cornering speed will drop seconds off his lap times when he adds throttle management and handling adjustments into the mix. Furadi has a great suggestion. Too many people blame the hardware and buy the latest upgrade to try and make the Amain. What it normally does is get them a car that is a overweight and a wallet that is underweight in the Cmain.
cherokee180c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:29 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Hmmm... how do I say this?

No matter what tires or setup I run, I'm still a crappy driver... but... having the right tires for the track conditions will be the difference between having a good time and being more confortable with the car, or an exercise in frustration. The biggest single change you can make to a car is the tires... but note that all tires don't work on all tracks. You have to pick the proper tire for the track you are running on. That being said... there are some pretty good all-around tires out there, the "fallback" tires when nothing seems to work especially well. Proline Bowties, Panther Komodo Dragons, Werks Lugs... I say Bowties rather than Crimefighters because they're not as good on a good track surface, but less likely to give you problems on a rutted track due to a more rounded profile.

Also check out the soon-to-be-available Team Cobra tires.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For racing?.....Tires are 90% of the setup. The other 10% is setup and driving skill.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Then why do I see a lot of guys with great tires that can't drive worth a damn?
cherokee180c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know a guy who has the top of the line everything, Mugen mbx5r, Top radio gear, new tires every weekend, top motor. This weekend was my second offroad race ever. I have a second hand hyper 7, complete with second hand RB S5, JP-3 pipe, and basic radio gear, JR 590 steering and throttle servos. i ended up winning the a-main in sportsman class. It shocked me, but it flat pist him off. When it comes down to it, it doesnt matter how much you spend on the equipment if you cant drive the car.

(P.S i know my sig says it has a 357 servo in it, that is a new addition that actually isnt even in the car yet but. shhhhh dont tell nobody.)

Kyosho 777 WC w/ big bores, RB S5, ACE 1313 s., Air 357 t., JP-3
HPI Savage X SS, Axial .28, Hitec 5645 Steering servo
Nitro TC3, O.S. .18 CV-R
Associated RC18T, Brushless, Lipo
wes95_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Lets see if we can narrow this down a bit, Cannondale what track are you racing on?

Perhaps one of us has raced there or one of us knows of someone who has raced there and can give a even better tire answer.
RC10GT2-E, SC5M, RC10T2, Spec-R S2, FX10
tmail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmail55 View Post
Lets see if we can narrow this down a bit, Cannondale what track are you racing on?

Perhaps one of us has raced there or one of us knows of someone who has raced there and can give a even better tire answer.

I sort of doubt you've raced this track, it's in good ol' Kentucky. Very nice track though, great fun.
Cannondale1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Ok, soooo tell me how I did. I bought some Panther Gators today in the med-soft compound. Decent tire? (again, not expecting to win A main, just want to have fun and be decently competitive)
Cannondale1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Panther makes great tires. But, will they be great for the track surface you run on? It's hard to tell without seeing the track in person.

Panther Gators are very similar in tread patter to the PL Crimefighters which is usually a "go to" tire when trying to figure out which tire will work best. So I bet the Gators will work great for you.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote