Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First couple runs with the Savage XSS

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Default First couple runs with the Savage XSS

I just did my first couple runs yesterday, the truck runs well. I had the truck broken in by my LHS (I am a noob, this is my first nitro). The truck runs great and I was having alot of fun with it. I do have a couple of questions though:

1. My fuel line was rubbing against the exhaust manifold, even though before running it I moved it away (kind of) will the tubing melt? Because honestly if I'm going to be doing jumps and stuff it will obviously bounce around...Is this a huge worry?

2. I noticed my run time was good (15 or 20 minutes maybe) on a full tank, when I lean out the high speed needle will it make a huge difference in fuel consumption or will the difference not really show (I'm only bashing so I don't really care if it runs rich, in fact I'd rather leave it how it is than screw it up.)

3. I ran it for a couple tanks in my street yesterday, doing some full speed runs and stuff, and my air filter didn't look to get too dirty, so is it safe to clean it every couple of runs if I'm running it on tarmac? (the manual says every run, but that seems to be too often UNLESS I am running in a dirty/muddy/sandy environment.

4. Is a hump pack for the electronics recommended? ATM I am only using double A's and I don't know how long they will last...I just check for servo responsiveness before I run it and if the servos operate quickly then I assume that the batteries are still good...but either way I am probably going to want to buy a hump pack.

5. My XSS has the throttle return spring, I'm guessing that performs the same duty as an electronic failsafe? Before I ran the truck I tested it and when I removed the batteries or unplugged the battery pack from the receiver the spring pulled it back to neutral, so I am guessing the TRS is good enough. It seems like another failsafe is a waste of money, but if it is necessary then I want it, but again the spring looks like it does the same thing.

6. I can't think of anything else except maybe a fuel filter...which I can get anytime I guess..also I have a cheapo futaba AM radio which works OK, but sometimes the throttle servo twitches when i push it to 3/4 throttle. I have switched around the servos and the same happens to steering, so it's not the servos that are messed up, I have tried a different crystal set which gave more interference and less distance so I took them out, and I tried them in my other receiver which also gives the same twitch. I'm guessing this is just interference...and I don't think I need to worry all too much...but would an upgrade to an FM radio be a good idea? Like a Futaba 2PL? ( I don't need anything fancy, just to have an FM radio would be great)...

Aside from that I can't think of anything else and I have had a blast for the first couple tanks of fuel....Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by th3ha1og0d
I just did my first couple runs yesterday, the truck runs well. I had the truck broken in by my LHS (I am a noob, this is my first nitro). The truck runs great and I was having alot of fun with it. I do have a couple of questions though:

1. My fuel line was rubbing against the exhaust manifold, even though before running it I moved it away (kind of) will the tubing melt? Because honestly if I'm going to be doing jumps and stuff it will obviously bounce around...Is this a huge worry?

2. I noticed my run time was good (15 or 20 minutes maybe) on a full tank, when I lean out the high speed needle will it make a huge difference in fuel consumption or will the difference not really show (I'm only bashing so I don't really care if it runs rich, in fact I'd rather leave it how it is than screw it up.)

3. I ran it for a couple tanks in my street yesterday, doing some full speed runs and stuff, and my air filter didn't look to get too dirty, so is it safe to clean it every couple of runs if I'm running it on tarmac? (the manual says every run, but that seems to be too often UNLESS I am running in a dirty/muddy/sandy environment.

4. Is a hump pack for the electronics recommended? ATM I am only using double A's and I don't know how long they will last...I just check for servo responsiveness before I run it and if the servos operate quickly then I assume that the batteries are still good...but either way I am probably going to want to buy a hump pack.

5. My XSS has the throttle return spring, I'm guessing that performs the same duty as an electronic failsafe? Before I ran the truck I tested it and when I removed the batteries or unplugged the battery pack from the receiver the spring pulled it back to neutral, so I am guessing the TRS is good enough. It seems like another failsafe is a waste of money, but if it is necessary then I want it, but again the spring looks like it does the same thing.

6. I can't think of anything else except maybe a fuel filter...which I can get anytime I guess..also I have a cheapo futaba AM radio which works OK, but sometimes the throttle servo twitches when i push it to 3/4 throttle. I have switched around the servos and the same happens to steering, so it's not the servos that are messed up, I have tried a different crystal set which gave more interference and less distance so I took them out, and I tried them in my other receiver which also gives the same twitch. I'm guessing this is just interference...and I don't think I need to worry all too much...but would an upgrade to an FM radio be a good idea? Like a Futaba 2PL? ( I don't need anything fancy, just to have an FM radio would be great)...

Aside from that I can't think of anything else and I have had a blast for the first couple tanks of fuel....Thanks in advance everyone.

1-No, fuel line is heat resistant.
2-Leaning out will give longer run times.. if its runnin finr dont touch it..
3-Clean when needed, if ur just bashin.
4- hump pack is much better for servo perfomance.
5-fail safe 20$$$ ur model exploding into a curb 500+$$
6-Get urself a spektrum DX2.. with built in fail safe....alot less glitching.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Everything ^ he said. +1.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for your input. I will look into that Spektrum radio.