R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Use WD-40 to clean your car or not?

Quick question: Will WD-40 attract dirt if I spray the entire chassis down? Good idea/bad idea/any opinions?
Thank you!
Cannondale1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i pull out all of the electronics and the motor(you can clean the motor with simple green as long as it is all plugged up). then spray the whole car down with simple green, scrub it around then blow it off with an air compressor.

you can do the same with wd-40 but it takes a little more effort with the compressor
hope this helps
wallnutz684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88
Default 8

I recently heard from a guy that uses it that it does attract dust but it makes it easier to clean that dust off. I have been using air and simplegreen for as long as I can remember and it has done well for me and smells nice.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I posted a thread about what to clean your car with and some suggested WD40. I think it attracts dirt, but does cut the crud well. Denatured Alcohol is the standard. One suggested mixing in some Simple Green in with the alcohol, this works but I'd only put in about 4 cap fulls of simple green, too much leaves slime that does not evaporate quickly.

What I have found that I like and is not expensive is the $1.78 can of Brake Parts Cleaner from Wally World.

A gallon of Denatured Alchol is $15.67 at Home Depot (128 ounces) = $.1224 per ounce.

$1.78 can of parts cleaner at 14.5 ounces a can is $.1228 per ounce.

Parts cleaner comes pressurized and cleans bearings well. No fuss about it at all.

It will make plastic look dried out, but what I have found is you can coat plastic in WD40 then lightly spray off the excess with the parts cleaner. Looks brand new...
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

^+1
Old 04-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

I have used WD40 for a few years on a few different cars with good results. For on-road, I did use denatured alcohol and simple green mixed, it worked very well. For off-road, WD40 just works well.

After racing or practicing, pull the motor and tires, then hit the buggy with air first. Next wet down the car except around the servos with WD40. If you get some on the servos just hit them with air really quick. Let the car soak for 5 minutes, this helps the WD40 get through the dirt to the plastics, and allows for dirt to drip from the hinge pins and moving parts. Then spend a little time really going over the car with air, re-apply a little WD if needed. Be sure to blow out pin and ball areas well. after your car sits for a day the WD40 drys out except in the pins, or were air cant reach as well. This will keep your cars moving parts lightly coated with a thin lube while everything else drys up. Your plastics will look new and will shed heavy dirt better next time you run. Thin dust may collect a little bit, but it will easily come off with air alone.
For mud and tough clay, Simple Green/mix does a better job taking the heavy layer off first. Then start the process above, the WD40 will displace any unwanted simple green or moister thats touching your metal parts.

Thats just one way, I'm sure a million people could tell you another way. But it works, and works very well for me.

Things to avoid:
- De-greaser on your bearings is bad if done all the time.
- Liquids of any kind on the seals of your servos is bad.
- Prolonged exposer of De-greaser on your metal parts is bad.
- Water in general is bad for RC cars, but "Water Displacement 40" (WD40) will help get the water out/off your car if you have to use water for cleaning purposes, or run it wet conditions.

So in general I recommend always have your WD on hand. It also does really well for flushing motors that pull dirt in.
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

There a lot of ways to clean your car safely. I rely more on compressed air and brushes than I do on degreasers or penetrates.

But no matter how you clean, theres no substitute for thorough dismanteling your car every 4-6 weekends (depending on use).

I've avoided many potential failures and complications by finding weak and binding parts during the process dismatiling my car.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I always blow the car off with an air compressor first. Then use non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Hose that off with the compressor. Now the plastics look old and gray. Hose the whole damn car down with WD-40 and hose off with compressor again. Car looks brand new. Now if i can just find a way to keep the body looking that new.

Kyosho 777 WC w/ big bores, RB S5, ACE 1313 s., Air 357 t., JP-3
HPI Savage X SS, Axial .28, Hitec 5645 Steering servo
Nitro TC3, O.S. .18 CV-R
Associated RC18T, Brushless, Lipo
wes95_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Default O'Donnell Cleaner

The O'Donnell cleaner is second to none! It cleans better than Simple green, but doesn't leave the residue. Try it out.

Kraig
Old 04-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
Tech Legend

WD is Dailed !!!

After a dust off just spray all over car with a lite coat, then use tooth brush & rag to clean excess...

Will dry in a bout 20 min and the your car will look like new.....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #11
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

denatured alcohol / air compressor / lemon pledge !!! dirt comes off super easy the choice of the pros
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

simple green + garden hose + wd40 = clean and shiny!! lol
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DirtyDezPirate
Default wd40

I use the wd40 lightly on metal parts after you clean the buggy throughly with simple green, brush, and light on water.. but make sure you air compress dry it right after you use little water to flush out the dirt and simple green, then use wd40 on the metal parts so it doesnt rust.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DirtyDezPirate
Default wd40

and yeah make sure you take the eletronics out first before you do all the simple green, and rinse out.. otherwise theyre fried.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Thanks everyone for the reply's. Great information.

Quick question: Will Simply Green fade plastic parts or the anodized chassis? I've heard this can happen when using on (full size) cars when using it to degrease the engine.

Thanks again.
Cannondale1974 is offline   Reply With Quote