R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boise
Posts: 320
Default What would you guys recommend for practice/play tires?

I can't afford to go through tires every weekend so im looking to get some meatier tires that will last a while. Its either between badlands or knuckles 2.0's. I know from expierence that badlands last forever.. But the kunckles look like they would be closer to race tires in terms of grip and performance... Anyone have any first hand expierence with the knuckles 2.0's? Oh and for a refrence, my track will eat through a set of bowtie XTR's in half a gallon.
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 28,524
Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)
Default

Depends on what you primarly purpose is. If you are just wanting some play tires, badlands work well.

But if you need something that can be raced, you may want to ask around and see what other tires work on your track from different manufacturers.

I run a set of knockoff badlands that are sold on ebay. The hard compound comes premounted for about $22 shipped for a set of 4 tires.

I also ran there crimefighter hard compound tire (they are called medium I believe) and I was suprised how well they hooked up and how well they lasted. Also for about $22 shipped. he also gives discounts on shipping for multiple purchases.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boise
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Depends on what you primarly purpose is. If you are just wanting some play tires, badlands work well.

But if you need something that can be raced, you may want to ask around and see what other tires work on your track from different manufacturers.

I run a set of knockoff badlands that are sold on ebay. The hard compound comes premounted for about $22 shipped for a set of 4 tires.

I also ran there crimefighter hard compound tire (they are called medium I believe) and I was suprised how well they hooked up and how well they lasted. Also for about $22 shipped. he also gives discounts on shipping for multiple purchases.
Yea you must be talking about suprasales. Thats still an option if I just go with badlands type tires.
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
DOMIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Posts: 4,034
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furadi View Post
I can't afford to go through tires every weekend so im looking to get some meatier tires that will last a while. Its either between badlands or knuckles 2.0's. I know from expierence that badlands last forever.. But the kunckles look like they would be closer to race tires in terms of grip and performance... Anyone have any first hand expierence with the knuckles 2.0's? Oh and for a refrence, my track will eat through a set of bowtie XTR's in half a gallon.
Half a gallon? I only wish we could get that good of runtime out of a set of tires.

1 main on new tires, a couple heats after that... they're pretty much done. Ok for practice for a while, that's it. (on ANY tires I've used except Werks... haven't got to use the Cobra tires on that track yet, so we'll see.)
__________________
Brad "DOMIT" Smith - I'm not fast, but at least I wreck a lot.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,176
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Black
Default

Furadi- Of course I am going to be bias because I am sponsored by them, however the Werks tires last forever. My local track has a big annual race every year and the track gets EXTREMElY blue grooved and I got about 15 tanks on a set of stubs (they look like holeshots) before they started to wear. That was also in the soft compound. You should really give them a shot. We also have lugs which look like crimefighters, and or the W's which is a hybrid of crimefighters and bowties.
__________________
JConcepts/Werks Racing Engines/Ironman Bearings/PowerMaster Fuel/VP Racing
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
DOMIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Posts: 4,034
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Furadi- Of course I am going to be bias because I am sponsored by them, however the Werks tires last forever. My local track has a big annual race every year and the track gets EXTREMElY blue grooved and I got about 15 tanks on a set of stubs (they look like holeshots) before they started to wear. That was also in the soft compound. You should really give them a shot. We also have lugs which look like crimefighters, and or the W's which is a hybrid of crimefighters and bowties.
I don't know that I would describe them like he did (Lugs have a higher pin count than most tires, and the carcass is flatter than a bowtie, but not as flat as a crimefighter,) but I did put 4 races on a set before they showed much wear. Traction is decent too. I've seen guys clip the outer and inner row of pins like they do with Crimefighters, they say it works well, but I haven't tried it.
__________________
Brad "DOMIT" Smith - I'm not fast, but at least I wreck a lot.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boise
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Furadi- Of course I am going to be bias because I am sponsored by them, however the Werks tires last forever. My local track has a big annual race every year and the track gets EXTREMElY blue grooved and I got about 15 tanks on a set of stubs (they look like holeshots) before they started to wear. That was also in the soft compound. You should really give them a shot. We also have lugs which look like crimefighters, and or the W's which is a hybrid of crimefighters and bowties.
I'm really looking for something that will last like a whole season. Like badlands.
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 10,180
Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)
Default

In 2006 when I got back into 1/8 racing I picked up a set of K2 Medium Soft's and I ran them for about 6 races and they still showed hardly any wear. They seem to work well on a variety of track surfaces as well.......
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
imaxx21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 2,725
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furadi View Post
I'm really looking for something that will last like a whole season. Like badlands.
so you arent interested in being competitive??
__________________
-Crash
Upgrade RC www.upgrade-rc.com
imaxx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
MadRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SE USA
Posts: 2,378
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaxx21 View Post
so you arent interested in being competitive??
In the title he says for practice or play?
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
imaxx21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 2,725
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21
Default

then why does it matter how long they last?
__________________
-Crash
Upgrade RC www.upgrade-rc.com
imaxx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boise
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaxx21 View Post
then why does it matter how long they last?
Wow, how do you miss such a blatant point? On non-race weekends, us locals get together at the track and dice. Sometimes all day long, So, Im not going to use my race tires because they will get eaten up. But, on race day, I will use my race tires.

So lets recap, on non race weekends, I want a tire that will last long so I can dice with my buddys. On race days, I'll stick to race tires. That make more sense?
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
Tech Lord
 
UN4RACING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MODIFIED!
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Proline Knuckles. M2
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #14
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boise
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
Proline Knuckles. M2
Is that what you have? Hows the wear?
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:30 PM   #15
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: illinois
Posts: 1,672
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cheesecake
Default

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Big-Blocks-B...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Racingspike-...QQcmdZViewItem


i use those for driving around my yard those and there fake crimefighters they seem to work well
cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Practice rubber tires, practice 3000 batts, Novak smart tray, Orion Lap counter grazianos R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 03-26-2005 03:22 AM
What do you guys recommend? Vegetto Nitro On-Road 24 10-11-2003 11:22 AM
What peak charger do you guys recommend? EnzoFerrari Nitro On-Road 10 09-09-2003 12:44 AM
what would U guys recommend rccraze Nitro On-Road 4 12-21-2002 05:47 PM
Serpent Vector front/rear 20 pairs play tires boom R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 04-30-2002 06:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:15 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net