R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default RTR:Hyper 8 vs Kyosho GP Inferno US Sport

Hello everone,

I need some advise. After playing with EP/GP touring cars, i would like to go into 1:8 buggies. As it is only intended for week-end bashing I prefer RTR buggy. With an initial budget of $800, which one should i be getting? Any comment on the .28 class pull starter engine that powers them? There are few areas of concern: ease of maintainence/engine tuning, parts durability & cost effectiveness of upgrading (even Kyosho may cost abit more). Does the Kyosho offering has any advantage over the Hobao Hyper 8? Your opinion will be well appreciated. Thank you & have a nice day.
Kiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Hands down the Hyper 8. It now comes with the conversion to the Hyper 8.5. Awesome and easy to upgrade to the pro. And for the cost it's not a bad motor. The radio on the other hand may be something you want to change right away.
Bad Dog Rc
www.baddogrc.com
www.speedtechrc.com
My rides

Jammin CRT.5 w/ OS .12 TZP 5
Team Losi 8ight-T w/ Ninja JX .21
stiffler297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The Hyper 8 is definitely the better car out of the box when it comes to RTRs.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the response. I am tilting towards the Hyper 8. Does the engine that comes with it requires constant tuning? I know of some engines like OS12 TZ which once properly tuned, no longer requires much if any 'tweaking' at all. Is there any hobby shop (value for $ & good service)that you can recommend? Do you guys use the Proline Crimefighter tyres for it? Because of the terrain my local track is known as "truggy killer". Certain part of my local track is soft; i mean the tyres can easily sinks in and the buggy is stuck. Is there any other makes you can recommend?
Kiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:23 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 8.5 RTR

I have a friend that got one, the Hyper, about 3 weeks ago. It holds it's tune real well and nothing has broke yet. As for getting stuck, try to run tires with less pin or nobs. The OFNA Bones work O.K. and last long. And remember you don't have to W.O.T to every were. Control is everything!
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote