R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Glow plug problem (still!) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/218433-glow-plug-problem-still.html)

mike_dmt 04-22-2008 07:37 PM

Glow plug problem (still!)

Fairly new to rctech boards, but some advice would really be appreciated! Heres the story: stole/borrowed a t-maxx from a buddy, and to say the least, he took bad care of it. The problem lies in the glow plug. I've spent some money on a new clutch bell and a handful of other items that were bad, and finally ran it for about a minute, then, blown glow plug. OK, no big deal, loaded in a new one, ran it for five minutes, stalled, blown plug. So I then proceeded to tear the engine down, thinking a bearing had puked or something, and to look for signs of debris, crap, or whatever in the case etc. Nothing, clean as the day is new. So I consulted the traxxas site to see what was up, and noticed the motor was without any sort of head gaskets or shims, so I figured the compression was killing the plug. Ordered new head gaskets, assembled, and before it even started, blown plug. And, by blown, I mean a broken element. Not burned, not discolored, just blown. These are medium, heavy-duty traxas plugs, by the way. Im running 20% traxxas fuel, just for the record. So, WTF??? So far I've worked on this thing a thousand times longer than actually running it. What gives? Any ideas?

petevette 04-22-2008 07:51 PM

Are you using an igniter that is adjustable?

mike_dmt 04-22-2008 08:41 PM

No, Im using the standard issue ez start that traxxas inludes with the truck. But, that was one of my next questions. Is there another way to heat the glow plug? Im curious about what amount of juice my ez start is giving the plug. Does anyone know how many volts a plug needs? What kind of igniter can I use? Im about to give up on this P.O.S.......Help!

wes95_z28 04-22-2008 09:10 PM

Glow plugs are only meant to handle about 1.2-1.5 volts. Simply unplug the wire that clips onto the glow plug and use a regular glow ignitor. If you don't already have one you can get the cheapo ones for under $10. See if that doesn't fix your problem.

I am kinda thinking that it is your tune though, like it maybe way to lean simply because of the fact you said it ran for about a minute before blowing the first time. And yes not having any shims in the head would only make a slightly lean situation even worse.

mike_dmt 04-22-2008 09:14 PM

Yeah, I thought that too(about running lean) so, I referred to the manual, and actually richened it up by a bit. At this point I can worry about tuning it later, I just want it to run. But, Ill check my ez start and see what kind of juice its putting to the plug.. Ill let you know in a few!

imaxx21 04-22-2008 09:18 PM

have you tried a glow igniter?

like this one

http://www.rccompound.com/ProductDet...Code=RCE10561R

mike_dmt 04-22-2008 09:19 PM

Well, Wes,, guess what. I see the problem is in the ez start. Its pushing 8+ volts to the plug. Only 6.5 too many! So, Ill try a manual igniter and see what happens.

mike_dmt 04-22-2008 09:25 PM

I had some previous problems with the ez start control box. Mostly, solder joints had come loose. So after looking really close, I see that whoever worked on it last got solder all over the place and probably joined a couple connections together. So, Ill simply order a new control box (for about the same $$ as a stand alone igniter. Thanks all for the advice!!

wes95_z28 04-22-2008 10:09 PM

Yeah i think that kinda voltage would damn sure smoke one lol. Lucky it didnt burn up the starter motor on the system.

new to rc cars 04-23-2008 04:57 AM

STUPID GLOWPLUG QUESTIONS ALERT!!

What should the bottom of the glow plug look when youre lighting it? My whole wire doesnt glow, the last 1/8 inch doesnt glow, is that normal?

What should a glow plug look like if its too rich/lean etc... I remember seeing a nice site or something with pics that showed you exactly and with a good description on how to fix it. My guess: if its grey and dry, too lean. if its wet, too rich?

Whats the diff between cold, med, hot, super hot, turbo glow plugs?

wes95_z28 04-23-2008 04:47 PM

This website has all the info. you could ever want to know about glow plugs.

http://www.osengines.com/accys/glowplugs.html

new to rc cars 04-24-2008 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by wes95_z28 (Post 4382115)
This website has all the info. you could ever want to know about glow plugs.

http://www.osengines.com/accys/glowplugs.html

Thats an awesome site, Im ordering OS glow plugs from now on beccuse of that site.

Do the types of glow plugs make a huge difference?

Im thinking of getting one of these onee, because they sound like my driving style.

R5 OSMG2694 A racing plug so durable it can survive leaner needle settings and high-nitro/high-rpm 1/8 scale racing.

A5 OSMG2693 Slightly "cooler" than the #8 and ideal for the constant "on/off" throttle action in 1/10 and 1/8 scale racing.

wes95_z28 04-24-2008 04:22 PM

Price of the plugs indicate quality, you never want to run the cheapest plugs you can last thing you want to happen is the coil to fall out of the plug and into the cumbustion chamber.

Most of your big names are all the same though it doesnt matter which one you go with.

I tend to run dynamite plugs simply because they are what my LHS carries, but the track i race at does carry a small selection of O.S. plugs

These are all good plug Manufactuers

O.S.
O'donnell
Dynamite

Im sure there are many more but i have kinda drawn a blank.

Cory living up in canada i would suggest you run a #8 medium or even a #9 hot plug, unless you are running 30% nitro and like running on the lean side #5 would be the safe route.

The motor will run just fine on any of those three though.

new to rc cars 04-25-2008 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by wes95_z28 (Post 4385362)
Price of the plugs indicate quality, you never want to run the cheapest plugs you can last thing you want to happen is the coil to fall out of the plug and into the cumbustion chamber.

Most of your big names are all the same though it doesnt matter which one you go with.

I tend to run dynamite plugs simply because they are what my LHS carries, but the track i race at does carry a small selection of O.S. plugs

These are all good plug Manufactuers

O.S.
O'donnell
Dynamite

Im sure there are many more but i have kinda drawn a blank.
Carl living up in canada i would suggest you run a #8 medium or even a #9 hot plug, unless you are running 30% nitro and like running on the lean side #5 would be the safe route.

The motor will run just fine on any of those three though.

Do the type of glow plug make a huge difference?

Why would you want to run on the lean side?

I am running 30% nitro.. what does that mean? I need a hotter plug because theres more nitro to burn?

So far ive been really impressed with OS, Im going to stick with them ;)

Thanks

fasteddie2 04-25-2008 07:52 AM

you want to run a cooler plug with more nitro.

take a look @ www.rbproducts.com