R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Brushless conversion for 1/8 nitro buggy

I am searching for some brushless conversion kits for 1/8 scale buggy. I have an old mugen mbx5 buggy that i want to convert to electric (lipo / brushless). I have seen some truggy conversions and some buggy conversions here and there but does anyone know of an actual kit that I can purchase for my application?
HookaMega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Like this:

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...its/index.html

R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

I just sold an MBX5 conversion. I would give the RC Product Designs Conversion a look. Also, contact TonyScrews for more info, he runs a converted MBX5R.

If you do the 46T spur gear option, you will need a hotbodies or kyosho center diff. If you do tony's method, you will need the MSR adapter and a 51T ofna spur.

Dans (RC Product Designs owner) conversion is fully bolt on. No special work really, other than cutting your servo tray.

He is in the process of doing a different battery tray for the longer Enerland packs.

If you are in a rush, you can buy stuff from RC Monster for your conversion, you will just need to bolt on your tray yourself as RC Monsters tray is more of a universal setup.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Tech Champion

I'm looking into a conversion as well. But I have a big problem, I plan to retain the stock, mechanical brakes. Without adjustable brake bias, an 8th scale racing buggy is useless to me. So far, there's been one guy online to pull it off. I may get the Novak system, and use that guy's setup to get the brakes I need.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You really think you need the mechanical brakes?

The motor braking seems to be pretty substantial.

550 Mafia.
Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Yes, I run my brakes about 85% rear, 15% front. You can't do that with electric motor brakes. You'd have to put such an odd combo of diff fluids in, that the handling would be a mess. I know there are people saying they get all the brakes they need from the motor, but they aren't me.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There have been several conversions done with mechanical brakes.. going back 3-4 years ago.

You don't need them... it's all about driving technique and what you are used to. I have both nitro and electric 1/8 and both work fine. Mechanical brakes are an advantage in some situations, but it's not a big deal. On very tight tracks (lots of 180 turns etc) it's nice to have a rear bias brake setup, but most 1/8 tracks are big and wide. Brakes are overrated you should be rolling corners and barely using brakes.

But then I'm an old school electric racer and didn't learn on WOT style 1/8 racing.

Check out the new factory electric car here. you might be able to get parts to fit your Mugen. But if were me, I would just buy the car. You could sell the Mugen or maybe swap some parts etc.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
Check out the new factory electric car here. you might be able to get parts to fit your Mugen. But if were me, I would just buy the car. You could sell the Mugen or maybe swap some parts etc.

You got a link? to the factory electric car?
HookaMega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookaMega View Post
You got a link? to the factory electric car?
http://casterracingusa.com/home.php

Few pics.

550 Mafia.
Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Quote:
You don't need them... it's all about driving technique and what you are used to. I have both nitro and electric 1/8 and both work fine. Mechanical brakes are an advantage in some situations, but it's not a big deal. On very tight tracks (lots of 180 turns etc) it's nice to have a rear bias brake setup, but most 1/8 tracks are big and wide. Brakes are overrated you should be rolling corners and barely using brakes.
Actually, as I stated before, I DO need them. I race on a Tight, Technical track, with several tight turns. So the kit for big open 8th scale tracks, won't work FOR ME. I'm not alone, that's why several people are building them with mechanical brakes. I understand that it works for some people, and that's cool. It won't work FOR ME. Besides, I race a Losi 8ight... I know how to roll through the corners...that's how I keep placing in the top 5 at my local track. You can't roll fast enough through a tight 180, you have to "Turn and Burn" to hang with the guys at my tack.

An 8th scale buggy without adjustable brake bias is ill equipped for racing. I want the brushless system to act almost exactly like a nitro motor. Free wheeling when off the throttle. The brakes must be mechanical, and biased to the rear.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #11
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

Curious, did you come to this conclusion when testing a 1/8 scale brushless conversion on your track? If so, what conversion was it?

When running my MBX5 with R parts I had too much steering it felt. No problem with 180s and the such.

You probably can get the RCMonster AE conversion. i think it has the option for mechanical braking.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Why can't you keep the center diff assembly, slap in a BL motor and electronics and disable the ESC braking? I know that heli ESC's are programmable not sure about car ESC's but maybe you could find an ESC that would allow you to do that.
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote