R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
Tech Master
 
vti-chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Diff-Inner gear shimming

How can i know whether the inner diff gears are shimmed correctly?
Is there a way to find out.
I had trouble with one of my diffs...it was working freely but sometimes it was locking and found out that the teeth were barely meshing.
So i removed two thick gaskets and left one thin one to seal the diff...this did bring the gears closer but how can i know i'm at the right spot?
I tried holding the crown gear and one of the diff cups while trying to turn the opposite cup and see the movement...should it be just like the spur and clutch bell movement or more...and how much?
__________________
Xray/OS/Savox/Sanwa
Axial XR10
Sakura Zero S/Castlecreations
RCO
vti-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:41 PM   #2
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vti-chris View Post
How can i know whether the inner diff gears are shimmed correctly?
Is there a way to find out.
I had trouble with one of my diffs...it was working freely but sometimes it was locking and found out that the teeth were barely meshing.
So i removed two thick gaskets and left one thin one to seal the diff...this did bring the gears closer but how can i know i'm at the right spot?
I tried holding the crown gear and one of the diff cups while trying to turn the opposite cup and see the movement...should it be just like the spur and clutch bell movement or more...and how much?

Keep adding shims ( usually 1 more, or 2 more max ).

How do you know when the gear meshing become too tight ? The gear meshing become too tight when you feel gritty on diff action.

I use more shims in my hyper8 and xray xt8.
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
vti-chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Do we add shims only on the 4 small gears or we can add the bigger shims behind the two large gears?
__________________
Xray/OS/Savox/Sanwa
Axial XR10
Sakura Zero S/Castlecreations
RCO
vti-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vti-chris View Post
Do we add shims only on the 4 small gears or we can add the bigger shims behind the two large gears?
I prefer the large gear get the shim(s) first.
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
vti-chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Some diffs don't use a large shim...some do use but don't allow more than one...
__________________
Xray/OS/Savox/Sanwa
Axial XR10
Sakura Zero S/Castlecreations
RCO
vti-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:19 AM   #6
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vti-chris View Post
Some diffs don't use a large shim...some do use but don't allow more than one...
then stop.

in my hyper 8, I can only install 1 more ( 1 side only )

in my xt8, I can install 2 more ( both side ).
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
vti-chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

So as long as the pin goes freely through the diff cup then it should be OK and the diff working fine of course i can add shims???!!!
__________________
Xray/OS/Savox/Sanwa
Axial XR10
Sakura Zero S/Castlecreations
RCO
vti-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vti-chris View Post
So as long as the pin goes freely through the diff cup then it should be OK and the diff working fine of course i can add shims???!!!
YES.
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gear Diff VS Ball DIff NOVICE4EVER Singapore R/C Racers 23 08-29-2012 09:03 PM
Diff gear oil catkchun Malaysian R/C Racers 2 08-29-2007 08:24 PM
Square diff lock hub and gear diff oil for TT-01/R/D Drift Demon Australia For Sale/Trade 0 12-12-2006 09:34 PM
kyosho 777 STR diff shimming TENCHO Electric Off-Road 2 10-30-2006 08:16 AM
front lock diff vs gear diff rhed Nitro On-Road 4 11-29-2005 01:20 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:14 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net