R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Lap counters ?

I am installing a new off-road track and need to make a decision on a lap counting system. I know AMB has been the standard but need to know if anyone uses the I-lapRC and if so your opinions. Any input from those that actually use these systems would be appreciated.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I am installing a new off-road track and need to make a decision on a lap counting system. I know AMB has been the standard but need to know if anyone uses the I-lapRC and if so your opinions. Any input from those that actually use these systems would be appreciated.

lazaus....I use the AMB system its a great unit,if your plan on pulling racers from other towns,citys or states....the way to go is the AMB system,chances are most racers will have a personal AMB transponder in their cars ready to race.....

Race you later....
Old 04-29-2008, 03:47 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

AMB is pretty much the standard. I have no experience with I-lapRC, but I am 99% that it will not accept AMB personal transponders. Like NIXFIX NITRO indicated, if you are planning on having races and want to draw more people, an AMBrc or AMBrc3 system is the way to go. The initial purchase price is high, but the AMB systems work excellent! Plus all the different lap counting software packages support the AMB systems. If you want to start off a little more budget oriented, you can find used AMB systems on eBay, including the AMB20 that does not accept personals, for fairly decent prices. I went through this same process for a track here in MI and we were able to buy an AMB20 system with house transponders for under $1000.
ehartman_49348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The I-LapRC doesn't accept personal transponder and the same applies for the AMB20 system.
You got a NEW system with the I-LapRC while having a used AMB20 for the same price. You also need to take into account the degraded rechargeable battery in the used "in house transponder".

AMB is great, but way too expensive for a small club!

I-LapRC is based on infra red technology with a timing bridge instead of a loop under the ground. The transponders need its own power supply (auxiliary from the receiver battery) and will fit even on the mini z.
Thunder Power, Silverback
OS Speed, Novarossi
Mister-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

One small snafu that I see is with handout transponders. They are not self-powered. So if you have to share with others, that can be a pain having to dig into your receiver box after every heat. I think they actually make little batteries for 'em so they're more portable. Another issue is with new guys that come to the track with the bare bones stuff. If they only have a 2-channel receiver, they'd need a splitter to power the transponder.

If I'm not mistaken, these operate on infrared, which means the transponder has to be exposed or at least be placed in a transparent window. And I think on really sunny days, it could cause interference problems, but I don't know that as fact.

Their site also states that AMB transponders are not compatible with their system.

It's a real bugger that AMB has a monopoly on the technology they use. So they can charge whatever they want. And because it's manufactured in Europe, the falling US dollar is making it even more expensive.

Our club just went through this when our equipment got stolen. Like was said, you can find AMB systems on Ebay or even on here. I've actually run into some VERY helpful guys on here in my search for a system. I ended up getting an AMBrc system (no transponders though) for $1000 from someone on here. I also managed to get a charging rack for cheap from another helpful member on here.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote