R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Can Novarossi N21B be competitive outdoors? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/217977-can-novarossi-n21b-competitive-outdoors.html)

brianr34 04-20-2008 10:18 AM

Can Novarossi N21B be competitive outdoors?

I am currently running a N21B 3 port engine indoors. Overall, I really like the engine and would like to continue running it year around. I may run a few outdoor races this summer and wanted to receive feedback on if this motor can be competitive.

My main concern is, since this motor is not know for top end power, will I get blown away on the straight aways with higher end motors?

I am running a Dynamite 086 pipe, which should give it some top end. I currently run a 13t clutchbell, but I was thinking of changing to a 14t also.

If anyone has run the N21B on bigger outdoor tracks, I would appreciate your feedback on the overall performance.

ccm399 04-20-2008 10:26 AM

You should be just fine!!!! We had a couple guys running them last season on our track (165x80) and they had NO problems. Let them big ol' high dollar engines have the end of the straight.....just get 'em back in the infield!

Seriously though you'll be just fine.

jbrow1 04-20-2008 10:36 AM

I agree, if you can drive you will be fine. I seem to prefer lower powered engines in my buggy b/c I think they are simply easier to control and make me drive smarter. With powerful engines it was to easy to drive over my head and end up flopping all over the track.

mugenlife 04-20-2008 10:50 AM

slower and smooth usually is faster than fast and choppy...thaose nova 3 ports are fine.

tex1 04-20-2008 11:03 AM

3 port, 5 port or 7 port... It is still a .21. Tune it for the power you are looking for. IE - An 086 pipe with a little longer header or a JP-2 and you will be fine out doors. If it is still pulling hard on the torque side you can go down on your spur or up on your clutch bell. Let it pull a good alum clutch if you have the bite.
OS Vspec... that's a three port.
Yours may not be quite as fuel efficient as the others but I'm sure you will be fine.
Mileage wins! Not horsepower.
TEX

clarksib 04-20-2008 11:34 AM

I thought the v-spec was a 4-port. no?

IanWright 04-20-2008 12:04 PM

I have run one for a couple of races while i figure what engine i want, scored me a second and fith overall at club level with it. Really came into it's own on wet and slippery conditions. Took a fith today in the dry and grippy and felt like i was being let down on power a little, although i totally agree with the above comments about smooth beating choppy - i was able to run real aggressive tyres. If you are in the middle of a learning curve it may help as they are not a slow engine, just not silly fast - as said previously, you will be forced to get your lines nice and tight to keep up with the point and squirt guys. I am going to put it in my box for wet days and small tight tracks where i want to cut fuel consumption. 10 minutes is not unrealistic with a good tune.

I run it with a JP-1, seems pretty sweet.

air8 04-20-2008 01:37 PM

Great engine. I've been pushing the run time on mine and I've been telling the pit guy to call me in once the 9 minute mark is past. That way I have time to get to the pits, where ever I'm at on the track. I use a JP-3 pipe on mine and it flat screams. A couple of people were conviced to get them after seeing how well mine gets around the track. You won't be disappointed with the results.

brianr34 04-20-2008 03:48 PM

Have any of you running the N21B, had any issues with it running hot? I was just curious, since the head on it seems a little smaller than normal. I thought maybe on hotter summer days, the engine may have a hard time running cooler. What is a reasonable target temp to run at during the summer?

Is anyone running an aftermarket head? If so, which one? I was considering OSRocket or NovaRC head.

brianr34 04-20-2008 03:50 PM

Also, what pipe would be good on the bigger outdoor tracks? I am currently running a Dynamite 086. Would there be a better pipe to run outdoors?

keithw11 04-21-2008 06:59 AM

i have 1 in may box thats moded and it is great very fast and smooth great for med to smal and tech tracks

CHogle 04-21-2008 02:32 PM

im running one right now outside, i run a little bit cooler glow plug on warmer days it keeps the temps down a little and it allows for 15 to 20 seconds of run time. im running your standard 3 shoe alm. clutch and im having no problems with gitting pulled on the straight nor out of the corner. im also running the O.S 2050 pipe, works fine for me.

Garrison 04-21-2008 03:26 PM

a guy i race with just put on in the a main at the pleasant hill proseries race and finshed 4th,,, he had a jp3 and got like 6.5 to 7 min or run time

Jmnay_83 04-21-2008 08:00 PM

Nova 3 port

My Nova n21bf is tuned to run about 8-8:30 minutes. I use a jp-2 or 3 and an all alluminum clutch. It temps about 260 when it comes off of the track. It is a very reliable motor and easy to tune. I would suggest it to anyone.

Chris Jarosz 04-21-2008 08:55 PM

run a 21-5 carb and its dialed