R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Questions?? Help me choose an Engine!

Hi All,

I really need some help here. Going to race and I'm in the process of buying all my gear. I'm a decent driver with experiance in Electric, but not Nitro and expecting good performance from the engine.

Can someone tell me what the difference between these are?

What I am looking for is comments about, top end, bottom end, maintenance, power curve, any personal experience with these brands or models and maybe other suggestions.

Aside from the price and the fact the Novarossi comes with a pipe. I am looking to save a little cash so if I go with the $300 O.S. Max 21VZ-B V-Spec-T am I going to regret it?

Click link for more info...

O.S. Max 21VZ-B V-Spec-T (P) Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine
$300

O.S. Speed 21VZ-B V-Spec Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine (Aluminum Head)
$500

CEO Power Mods Novarossi 367 Off-Road 7 Port Competition Buggy Engine w/EFRA 9901 Tuned Pipe
$445

Thanks for all your help. This community is great.

Last edited by Don Duct; 04-17-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Don Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Powerlink

I have both the v-spec motors that you listed ,You can't go wrong with them.They hold a tune well ,and have great all around power.The difference between the 2 o.s. motors is the SPEED has a hard balanced crank ,rear ceramic bearing updated carb.different timing and head .It feels alot more balanced than the standard v-spec. But not any faster than my stock v-spec.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlink View Post
I have both the v-spec motors that you listed ,You can't go wrong with them.They hold a tune well ,and have great all around power.The difference between the 2 o.s. motors is the SPEED has a hard balanced crank ,rear ceramic bearing updated carb.different timing and head .It feels alot more balanced than the standard v-spec. But not any faster than my stock v-spec.
Sweet, thanks for the feedback.

When you say balanced how does that affect you when racing? And what might I notice?

-Don
Old 04-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

V-Spec! OR if you have extra money to burn, then the Speed. Alu Head for easier tuning.

FYI: If you can shop around you can find the V-Spec for 275.00 all the time. And $250.00 from time to time. (plus shipping)

X-Ray 808 (Active Diff)
BCE 8X8 Pro Chassis
OS Speed (XCustoms Head Mod)
Hitec 5995TG (S&T)
M11 & Spectrum.
Steve Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Powerlink

Balanced as meaning when the buggy or truggy is on the starter box free reving
it won't viberate the chassis as much ,and you can also hear the balance when the motor revs low to high ,its smoother sounding. As far as helping you in a race maybe better fuel mileage ,O.S. motors already get great mileage so I will leave the racing part up to you
Old 04-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.rc-toro.com/product_info....456d8ea33bd577

Get the OS speed Vspec World Champion! It has the Magnesium head, which is even lighter and stronger than the Vspec AI version. (And it is cheaper, too!)

367 has weaker bottom end compare to OS speed Vspec World Champion.
silverM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverM3 View Post
http://www.rc-toro.com/product_info....456d8ea33bd577

Get the OS speed Vspec World Champion! It has the Magnesium head, which is even lighter and stronger than the Vspec AI version. (And it is cheaper, too!)

367 has weaker bottom end compare to OS speed Vspec World Champion.
Stonger the ali head is stronger and cheaper to replace if need be also the mag head is alittle tempremental to tune.

the standard v-spec is not as smooth through the power band (personally I feel the standard v-spec has a more aggersive botom end) as the speed but it is still a smooth engine. the speed gets better milage than the standard v-spec.

the 14.5 mm rear bearing in the nova 367 has some problems don't know if they've sorted that out yet but mine lost a rear bearing at less than 2 gallons so now I have a very expensive paper weight

I'm running Go Tech engines now and for the price you'll be amazed at how good these motors really are

Adrian

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Don,

Any of those you listed will work. There are plenty of OS drivers at the Pit to help you tune them. My OS speed w/aluminum head is the fastest engine I have. I run a GoTech 5 port with a turbo head for my practice buggy and the thing rocks. Breakin is a b*tch though on them and you will not be able to turn it over without a heat gun. I just purchased a Sirio CL7B STI and this is supposed to be the most powerful .21 out there out of the box. We will see.

Take care,
See you soon,
Tom
nta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up

If you are just getting into nitro, go with the regular VSpec. These carbs are the easiest to live with and hold a tune better than anything in the industry.
The Vspec will not be out powered but they are peaky.
You might try a pipe that will smooth out the response to make it drivable and give you max fuel mileage. Powerful motors are cool but they are no match for the guy that skips fuel stops on you in the long mains. The Vspec has this in spades.
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
Tech Adept

I decided to go with the O.S. Max 21VZ-B V-Spec-T (P) Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine. Partly because I needed to budget with all my gear. From most of the feedback it tunes well plus has decent performance and fuel economy. Finally because I am new to nitro engines if I trash this one by mistake it won't be as big of a loss.

Thanks to everyone for helping me choose! I'll be ready to race sometime in May!
_____
__\_\__
/| /|

-Don
Old 04-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
Tech Regular

I run the V spec VZB year round except for extremely large races like the World Championships where I install the O.S. Speed. But the VZB is extremely competetive and you will be very satisfied.
Andrew Smolnik is offline   Reply With Quote