Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redcat Racing Tornado BB Rocket Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Redcat Racing Tornado BB Rocket Car

Well this all started as just a crazy idea and with the help of some good friends we made it happen. We built a very functional rocket assist pack for a Tornado BB and so far we have had nothing but successful launches.

We started with building the rocket tube out of stainless steel and came up with a very simple mounting system. We proceeded to do a few test runs by using a normal rocket igniter pack and just letting the wires drag behind the car. We quickly realized that it was a big hassle to time the rocket ignition with this method. After a bit of brainstorming we came up with the concept of an on board ignition system for it. The ignition system is comprised of a 9 volt power source and a micro pressure switch that is activated when the throttle servo hits full throttle. It also features an on/off switch so the rocket can be hooked up without the system being "hot".

I had a lot of fun putting this project together and I hope you guys enjoy![sm=biggrin.gif]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_7ckJ6ffYM&fmt=6

Old 04-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thats pretty damn cool, how much does it cost to run it?

And that cant be too good for your cars engine... having it going top speed, then doubling that speed! damn!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Man, that is sick! Never seen anything like that.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Totally useless... yet I find myself looking at an old Ofna ultra comp GT 1/8th scale buggy thinking, damn i could do that. lol I think i just might, i may even try to stick one of those huge like G rocket engines in it. It will either be the new fastest nitro car, or somewhere in orbit lol.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wes95_z28
Totally useless... yet I find myself looking at an old Ofna ultra comp GT 1/8th scale buggy thinking, damn i could do that. lol I think i just might, i may even try to stick one of those huge like G rocket engines in it. It will either be the new fastest nitro car, or somewhere in orbit lol.
why is it useless?

Im surprised it didnt rip that car apart. No offense, but I had one of those himoto/redcat cars and they're complete garbage, yours looks a bit stronger than mine though.

Thats pretty damn smart.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Tech Addict

Lol cause its like putting nitrous on an RC car. It is useless. But like i said in my post it doesnt mean i wouldnt do it. Hell kinda looks like fun. But gauranteed you will ruin a car doing this to it.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Useless....yes, fun as hell...... absolutely!!!

I started this project just to have some fun and see what happens. I think the video turned out pretty kickass if you ask me. How many other rocket cars have you seen with on-board footage??

-Derek
Old 04-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by xjedix
Useless....yes, fun as hell...... absolutely!!!

I started this project just to have some fun and see what happens. I think the video turned out pretty kickass if you ask me. How many other rocket cars have you seen with on-board footage??

-Derek

Thats what it is all about, having fun. lol till someone gets pegged in the head by a 8 pound 60 MPH airborn rocket propelled buggy. Lol, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Initiate

LMAO, Lets hope we don't cross that bridge.

Stay tuned, I am working on another project that will be bigger and better!

-Derek
Old 04-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (97%+)

I can't wait to get home from work so I check out this video. sounds hilarious
Old 04-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

You didn't even remove the charge at the end for the parachute? Nice...doesn't that kind of mess up inside the car though?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Initiate

No I did not remove the parachute charge, it is basically used as a rocket ejection system lol. The back side of the rocket tube is closed off so nothing can touch the inside of the car. When the parachute charge goes off it just shoots the rocket out of the rocket tube. Besides, I figured the parachute charge just adds to the pyrotechnics show.

-Derek