R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default First impression of the RC8.

So my buddy just got the first RC8 on the track in this area. Its also his first 8 scale. He let me drive it a few laps and this how I feel it compares to my 8ight...

Right out of the box with a stock setup, the car is FAST. A lot of this depends on driving style but for me, it was perfect. It's easily as fast for me as my 8ight if not faster. and I had to work on my 8ight to get it fast.

Its smooth, doesn't traction roll and just turns on a dime. It doesn't require as much finesse as the Losi so that also makes it much faster.

The owner probably ran close to a gallon through it today and like I said, its his first 8 scale, so he wrecked a lot! and nothing broke.. I suppose I should mention that its a first gen car that didn't come with the service pack.

All in all I think AE did a great job with the car and I would consider owning one. Maybe when we get our rebates..
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Powerlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furadi View Post
So my buddy just got the first RC8 on the track in this area. Its also his first 8 scale. He let me drive it a few laps and this how I feel it compares to my 8ight...

Right out of the box with a stock setup, the car is FAST. A lot of this depends on driving style but for me, it was perfect. It's easily as fast for me as my 8ight if not faster. and I had to work on my 8ight to get it fast.

Its smooth, doesn't traction roll and just turns on a dime. It doesn't require as much finesse as the Losi so that also makes it much faster.

The owner probably ran close to a gallon through it today and like I said, its his first 8 scale, so he wrecked a lot! and nothing broke.. I suppose I should mention that its a first gen car that didn't come with the service pack.

All in all I think AE did a great job with the car and I would consider owning one. Maybe when we get our rebates..
+1 I felt the same way about it , Then when I went to there web site for info it got even better with all of the set ups and support .They have there drivers giving up there time and setups and asking us to tell them how we felt about it after we ran it.There drivers would explain why they did the changes to there set up and what it did . Very cool
Old 04-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ya I've check the RC8 out at te LHS and they are pretty nice. I wouldn't mind having one sitting next to my 8ight.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Admittedly, though I wasn't impressed with the car initially, I'm starting to warm-up to the RC8. In spite of its initial teething troubles, I think that the overall design, while not outwardly radical, is much better than I initially gave it credit for.

I mean sure, I'm still irked that it's not a proper kit, but I also can't deny that it has many features that I just find... Practical. The EZ access center diff, radio tray, CVA boots, quick-release fuel tank; little things that make maintenance less tedious. I'll have to test drive one myself eventually.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

I beg to differ. The car will get sloppy after a few races and will get inconsistent if you don't keep up on it. If you run a Losi, then the wear doesn't seem to be an issue, but if your a Kyosho, Mugen or Jammin person, you'll notice it. The small caster bushings in the knuckles and rear hubs get hammered out. The shock bladders blow out on rough tracks. There are still some they fall in love at first, then afetr a while, they really start to see the big picture.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
I beg to differ. The car will get sloppy after a few races and will get inconsistent if you don't keep up on it. If you run a Losi, then the wear doesn't seem to be an issue, but if your a Kyosho, Mugen or Jammin person, you'll notice it. The small caster bushings in the knuckles and rear hubs get hammered out. The shock bladders blow out on rough tracks. There are still some they fall in love at first, then afetr a while, they really start to see the big picture.
You can't beg to differ when your not even on the same subject. Your talking about longevity. I simply said the car is fast. and it is.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furadi View Post
You can't beg to differ when your not even on the same subject. Your talking about longevity. I simply said the car is fast. and it is.
OK, so when you run it on the second & third weekend and its not as fast as you thought, what will you do? What will your secong and third impression be? Would this first impression thread be better off in the RC8 thread instead?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
OK, so when you run it on the second & third weekend and its not as fast as you thought, what will you do? What will your secong and third impression be? Would this first impression thread be better off in the RC8 thread instead?
Are you thick? What part about, 'The car is fast out of the box' did you not understand? Did I ever once say 'I' own one and plan on racing it this year? Your posts are moot because I never said anything about its long term performance.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Out of the box means squat! Like I said, will this thread be better off in the RC8 thread!? Are you trying drum up sales or something!
Old 04-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain america View Post
Admittedly, though I wasn't impressed with the car initially, I'm starting to warm-up to the RC8. In spite of its initial teething troubles, I think that the overall design, while not outwardly radical, is much better than I initially gave it credit for.

I mean sure, I'm still irked that it's not a proper kit, but I also can't deny that it has many features that I just find... Practical. The EZ access center diff, radio tray, CVA boots, quick-release fuel tank; little things that make maintenance less tedious. I'll have to test drive one myself eventually.
Yea, jump at it if you get the chance. The car is a pleasure to drive. The guy that bought it who has never run an 8 scale was actually pulling decent laps by the end of the day if that tells you anything about how easy they are to drive.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:59 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Out of the box means squat! Like I said, will this thread be better off in the RC8 thread!? Are you trying drum up sales or something!

I love how everyone thinks what buggy they drive is the best in the world.

Kyosho is a more incomplete kit than the RC8 and way over priced.

Xray is just now trying to build their buggys to perform on the U.S. tracks instead of the jumpless mild Euro tracks.

They are all good buggys and they ALL have their flaws live with it.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:29 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Whoa, same exact thread over in rc universe. Must be a sales pitch going on.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:03 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Quote:
I beg to differ on this post back at ya. I am still running my first car that I got in September last year. I have only swapped the castor bushings twice, and it was set up change not because wear. The current bushings and shims at the top block have been in the car probably 4 gallons. Sure the red shims at the rear hub need replacing about every gallon, but come on, your talking $2 parts here, not drive train overhauls. The diffs, brakes, dogbones and axles are the originals that came in the kit.

When comparing to other cars, would you rather replace the $2 plastic pieces or the stuff that really breaks the bank.

Why does praise to a car have to be a sales pitch? Maybe he is delightfully surprised that a purchase is considered worth the money and he wants other racers to have feed back.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:40 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

Yup, the RC8 does wear. At about the first 4 gallons of hard use i replaced the bushings, arms, hingepins and tie rod ends. As said above, very inexpensive and part of maintenence through a season anyway. With lightness comes the trade on materials, just a matter of weighing up the options (See what i did there?). If i wanted a car that didn't wear and was as tough as old boots i would have to accept some weight like the Mugan or Kyosho. I want a quick, light agile buggy that turns on a dime... so once every few gallons through the season i spend a few dollars and bring the RC8 up to scratch.

The car is into it's 10th Gallon now and helping my driving get better and better results still while not breaking the budget.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I get faster with my car everytime I drive it. Can't beat the stability and cornering ability of the rc8. As far as slop, maybe I haven't drivin it enough I guess. In the 2 1/2 gallons I've run thru it, it's holding up much better than I had anticipated.
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote