R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   oddonnel glow plug question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/216743-oddonnel-glow-plug-question.html)

zixxer 04-12-2008 06:43 AM

oddonnel glow plug question

hey guys can an oddonnels ODO99OS glow plug be used in place of an OS 8 in any motor ...there web site says its for OS motors only? they seem to be a direct replacement for the os8 ....as long as thread pitch and everything matches up then i think it will be ok .......thanks in advance

houston 04-12-2008 10:01 AM

it will fit any engine as long as it requires a short glow plug .

zixxer 04-12-2008 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by houston (Post 4348825)
it will fit any engine as long as it requires a short glow plug .

reason im asking ....i run gotech motors i have a 5 and a 7 port ....they both came with gotech n-5 plugs ...which are identical in lenght to the threads on an os8 ....i switched to the os8's ...but then on a recommendation tried a standard oddonnels 99....even though it is a touch longer ...it ran great no problems and is a little more durable than the os8 .....a buddy picked me up some oddonnels 99's but they were the os designation ....so it should be fine as ive run the 8's in there before ......but riddle me why the longer oddonnels plug worked so well ...i run all 3 head schims .....i dont take the 3rd out after break in :)

houston 04-12-2008 01:53 PM

its not going to hurt anything or hinder performance that dramatically by running a plug that pokes through the button an extra thread .

Integra 04-12-2008 03:44 PM

i would be careful ramming differnt brand plugs in differnt brand motor's...some Turbo taper's are Totally differnt from other's....some work some dont...and pushing the combustion further into the chamber Will affect performance and could cause the button to leak...i would stick to Known Fact's about what glo plugs work and which dont.

houston 04-12-2008 05:59 PM

its not a turbo !!!! yes there are different tapers in different brands on turbo plugs

Davidka 04-12-2008 06:40 PM

An OD99 plug is a cooler temp plug (med/cold) than an OS8(med.). If you run 20% fuel use the OS8, if you run 30% the OD99 should be better with crisper throttle response.

When you're done with the OD99OS, keep the copper washers that they come with. They are thicker than standard plug washers (this is how the OD99os achievs a short reach) and you can use standard length plugs with a short plug engine like OS or GO Tech.

zixxer 04-12-2008 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 4349318)
i would be careful ramming differnt brand plugs in differnt brand motor's...some Turbo taper's are Totally differnt from other's....some work some dont...and pushing the combustion further into the chamber Will affect performance and could cause the button to leak...i would stick to Known Fact's about what glo plugs work and which dont.

thanks man ya im not ramming plugs blindly into my gotechs ...really i would have just run an a5 or the 8 until i talked with my buddy about it ...logically i had allready comvinced myself that the 99os was a direct slightly colder replacement for the os 8:nod::nod::nod: i just wanted a gut check confirmation :tire::tire::tire:

zixxer 04-12-2008 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Davidka (Post 4349585)
An OD99 plug is a cooler temp plug (med/cold) than an OS8(med.). If you run 20% fuel use the OS8, if you run 30% the OD99 should be better with crisper throttle response.

When you're done with the OD99OS, keep the copper washers that they come with. They are thicker than standard plug washers (this is how the OD99os achievs a short reach) and you can use standard length plugs with a short plug engine like OS or GO Tech.

man great info there ...i had noticed that they do seem a little thicker and had wondered abou that ....it just seems like the od plugs are better lasting and even a bit cheaper sometimes than the os ...thanks buddy

Davidka 04-12-2008 10:23 PM

My pleasure.