Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-MAXX

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Default T-MAXX

I have a T-MAXX truck with a 2.5 engine, 2 speed transmission (all stock, except for exhaust, servos, raido, and header).

I was wondering if I were to upgrade to the 3.5 engine, would it give me a noticeable increase in performance?

Also I'm looking into building one myself out of T-Maxx, any suggestions with other brands, parts, or anything else?
Old 04-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the 3.3 will give you more acceleration and speed
Old 04-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Would it be worth spending the $130 on it? and also, I do need a new transmission (been having problems with it going into reverse.. just doesn't want to engage) and that would be around $80 (2 speed w/reverse)?

any suggestions on websites to shop at for these parts?

-EDIT-

Would it be worth taking apart the engine to clean it with some denatured alcohol?
Old 04-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

well for the tranny i would hit up ebay you can always find good deals on there for any traxxas they have like a million pages of the tmaxx,revo,jato but as far as the motor its up to you i know the 2.5 has plenty of power and the 3.3 will just give you more acceleration and speed but you can do a trade in on the motors with traxxas i think they give you a discount too
Old 04-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Alright, and how much would you say a (new) transmission would cost (on average) just so i don't end up over paying for mine.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

3.3 is a noticeable difference. If you are in the market for a new engine, I would drop the O.S. .18 or the direct drop in .21. They are a lot better engines. I had the .18 in my maxx and I loved it. I utilized the forward only kit for my maxx. If you dont need the reverse, you can lower weight on you truck and possibly solve your transmission problem. They are easy and cheap to work on.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Tech Rookie

One last question... For now.. I'm looking for high end servo. ($50 or less) something that will last, it is for steering my T-Maxx 2.5, my servo's for some reason like to not work after a while (I guess run them a little too hard). any suggestions?
Old 04-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

usually the reason your truck wont engage reverse is 1. either you idle is to high or 2. the throw of the servo is off and not moving the push rod far enough. i would vote for the forward only. i dont think os makes the 18 tm andy more i think they are just making the 21tm. lot more expensive than the 3.3. i use a mg 126 in my boys revo and it works fine. about 36-40 dollars.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

A good cheap servo that I use in my truggy is the Hobbico CS 70 MG. I've been using it for a few months now with no problems. I has about 133 oz/in of torque, plenty for a mt or truggy.