R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Shopping List Help

I'm going to start 1/8 buggy nitro racing and have some past experience, however the Nitro part is new to me. I raced electric in the past. Other then the car (because I know thats the one I want for sure)...

Do you have any suggestions that differ from my list below? Am I missing something I need to have? Perhaps better bang for my buck?

Also is there something I can live without?

I think I need some kind of battery for my starter box. What do people usually have and what do you charge it with?

What charger to you use to charge your battery for the radio gear in your car?

Thanks to all that offered suggestions. Happy racing!

--CAR & ENGINE--
LOSK0800 - Team Losi 8ight 1/8 4WD Competition Buggy Kit

AMN20050 - CEO Power Mods Novarossi 367 Off-Road 7 Port Competition Buggy Engine w/EFRA 9901 Tuned Pipe

--RADIO GEAR--
SPM3100 - Spektrum DX3R DSM2 3 Channel Surface Radio

JRPSZ9100T - JR Z9100T Digital Ultra Hi-Torque Surface Servo (Metal Gear)

JRPSZ9100S - JR Z9100S Digital Ultra Hi-Speed Surface Servo (Metal Gear)

SPMB1650NM - Spektrum 5-Cell NiMH Receiver Battery Pack (6V/1650mAh)

--PIT GEAR--
ODOP9000 - O'Donnell TGX1 Temp Gauge Stopwatch

LOSA99061 - Team Losi 8ight/8ight-T Starter Box

HCAP2528 - Hobbico Super Hot-Shot

PRO603500 - Pro-Line "The Straight Shooter" Fuel Gun

--SETUP--
LOSA4430 - Team Losi 8ight Aluminum Rear Gearbox Bearing Inserts: 8B/8T

ASC1596 - Team Associated Blue Thread Locking Adhesive

--MAINTAINCE--
COOSWC30_SPU - Sidewinder World Champ 30% Nitro Fuel (One Gallon)
Note: This item is only available for In Store Pickup

LOSA9151 - Team Losi Air Filter Foams Pre-oiled (4): 8B/8T

LOSA5242 - Team Losi Silicone Shock Oil Six Pack (17.5,22.5,27.5,32.5,37.5,42.5wt) (2oz)

Last edited by Don Duct; 04-10-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Don Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to playboy Send a message via Skype™ to playboy

that is prety good but if you could go lipo on the reciever pack you will be more happy in the long run. But other than that everything else looks great!!

good luck with everything
playboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Thanks for the reply Playboy,

Lipo... I hear that term used a lot. Being an electric racer we didn't have a separate battery for our radio gear. Can someone define what Lipo means? Is that a brand? I think a type? What do I look for when I shop for one and what charger do I need?
Old 04-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You might want to start looking into the different options of tires you will need for the tracks you will be running. The Team Cobra (http://www.teamcobraracing.info) tires are pretty good!

An extra body or two wouldn't hurt either to have.

And some setup tools, like a setup station (you can get a PMB setup station for a pretty decent price) and ride height gauge.

Other than that, the list looks pretty good.

As far as the battery for the starter box, I run a gel pack in mine, but I don't know if those fit in the Team Losi starter boxes. A gel pack has plenty of power and lasts forever!

Charger: Since you raced electric, your current chargers should work just fine, as long is can handle a 5 cell pack.
ehartman_49348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman_49348 View Post
Charger: Since you raced electric, your current chargers should work just fine, as long is can handle a 5 cell pack.
Thanks for the tips!

I have an old Tekin BC 100s peak charger for SCR or SCE pack adjustable to 9 amps... not even sure if it still works but if it does are you talking about charging the 5 cell radio battery? or Lipo as I think people are calling them?

If so what setting should I use on my charger?
Old 04-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

WOW that looks good to me that motor ought to rip in that buggy
superdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

top of the line everything
superdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Do I need a Lipo Regulator w/o Switch?

Oh and I noticed LiPo is short for Li-Polymer battery which is a type of battery. So that question is out of the way....

Can I use my old Tekin BC 100s peak charger for SCR or SCE pack adjustable to 9 amps? If so what setting should I use on my charger?
Old 04-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You MUST have a charger that is capable of charging Li-Po batteries. If you try to charge a Li-Po with your current charger, you will blow your eyebrows off!!

I recommend the Duratrax Ice Charger. It will charge litteraly every kind and type of battery made.

Everything else in your setup looks great, you will love the DX3R and the Losi 8ight!!

Good Luck and welcome back!
AFX Fab
Lancebuilt Hobbies
Cory B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Don, If you are gonna race alot you may want to get a personal transponder, They are nice to have and one less thing to worry about. Also I'm thinking the 9000s is going to be for your throttle, You may wanna go with the "T" for both... sometimes the faster servos make it more difficult to be smooth on the throttle.
Other than that the list and other recomendations look great! You definately picked all the right gear, Hell It almost matches all mine!...Have fun!
SCUBA STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUBA STEVE View Post
You may wanna go with the "T" for both... sometimes the faster servos make it more difficult to be smooth on the throttle.
As for your comment about servos Steve. If I go with both fast servos I should be able to dial them down with that radio if they are too quick?

Also, will the Torque servos last longer then the Speed servos?

Thanks everyone for helping...

-Don
Old 04-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Duct View Post
As for your comment about servos Steve. If I go with both fast servos I should be able to dial them down with that radio if they are too quick?

Also, will the Torque servos last longer then the Speed servos?

Thanks everyone for helping...

-Don
The servos should last the same either way..... I think the Torque servos should be plenty fast.... I would not use the Speed servo for steering because it does not have as much torque as the 9000t.... some people will say it has plenty but I've been there and done that And I really like the feel of having a powerful servo turning the wheels as long as it is still pretty fast as the 9000t is.. As for the throttle, You can slow down servos With your radio but the "action " of the servo just does not seem as smooth.
Remember this is just my opinion!.... Ask around sometimes what works for one racer does'nt work for the other... Just giving ya ideas.
Hope this helps.
SCUBA STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The dx3r is an awsome radio you can dial it up or down or even change the curve of the powerband on the servo. EXp lowering it so you spinout less after taking off from a standstill etc or less steering at high speed. And its soooo light you forget your holding it .

You dont really need a fuel gun, they are nice for quick pits though(Pit Guy required) and they need to be held tip down or they leak fuel. any blue loctite will work I like the gel variety.

You might wanna stay clear of a modified motor until you get used to tuning them. Nothing wrong with novarossi though. I like the Go-tech motors check them out if your willing.

Lipo's are nice, but arent cheap and if you overdischarge them they can start on fire and if they dont you cant ever charge them again. if you still want one I would read up on them they are really great to have if you know how to use them.

Good wrenches will save you alot of headache the Losi uses standard sizes for most of its bolts.