R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Newb question about glow plugs

So I just picked up a TMaxx from a friend who never really took care of it. It happens to be my first Nitro car to boot.(Pretty much my first "real" rc car) So after spending a bunch of time cleaning, replacing bearings, fixing the EZ start, installing a new clutch bell and shoes, so on and so on, I finally got it running and driving. The problem I'm having is with the glow plugs. And I say plugs because it blows/burns them up in about a second flat and I've gone through four of 'em in about 15 minutes of total run time. I have the fuel mixture, as well as idle set as per the Traxxas site. It is a .15 engine. It never seemed to run hot, because I havent really driven it enough to know where it'll run. Im using Traxxas 20% fuel. With a new plug it starts right up and is great, until it stalls, thats when I think the plug goes. The plug itself is clean, and shows no signs of anything wrong except the coil/element is blown apart. Whats the story? I just want to drive this thing without it costing me $5 every time I start it.
mike_dmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You might have some serious engine problems..The piston/sleeve /rod might be coming apart and these little shavings might be tearing the coil out in your plug...Usually when you start going through plugs like this its a sign that the engine is on its last leg
Old 04-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Yeah, I thought about that. So I pulled the head off looking for any debris or signs of damage, and it was really clean, no shavings or anything like that. When it is running, it runs great, no wierd sounds or anything, thats why Im confused about the plugs going bad so quick. The coil appears to all still be there, none of it seems to be going anywhere, its just broken. What else could it be?
Old 04-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

check the crank bearings i had an engine one time that the rear bearing was bad and started comming apart while engine was running and it destroyed my glow plug really fast
shawnp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

before you go tearing your engine apart, turn the high and low speed needle out about a quarter turn( richen the fuel-air mixture) and run the engine again. you may have the needles too lean and burning your plugs up..
hitec 5955tg/steering
ko propo 2367/throttle
m-11
buckeye34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

LOL, too late. I already tore it down. The bearings all look and feel to be in good shape, and I came across no shavings to speak of. However, as I was searching through the forums for some insight, I noticed a lot of guys that go through a lot of plugs shimming their heads, and running a touch cooler plug. During disassembly I noticed I had NO shims or even a head gasket to speak of! Im trying to find the exploded view of a stock .15 to see what gasket they recommend, but I may try shimming it and see what happens then.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Wet and Shiny, with wet base : Too Rich
Dry and Partly Grey, with slightly wet base : Rich, tuning almost optimal
Dry and Grey : Optimal
Dry and Distorted : Lean
Dry and Broken : Too lean

*information courtesy of http://youtube.com/watch?v=1f7YaOXiUJU

Hope that helps
razor_clawzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yea no shim you were porbably leaking air like a mofo and having alot of detonation. Add one shim probably a .02, but dont quote me on that.