R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbine_au View Post
Pullstart motor in an MBX-5 is a no go. I'm pretty sure it just wont plain fit.

Don't try and turn the motor over without a flywheel attached, you'll never turn it over. My fully assembled Nova can only now be barely turned over by hand after almost 3 gallons, I would expect your motor at 1.5 is just pinching up.

Can you at least disconnect the conrod from the crank? If so, then try to spin the crank, if it's fine, then you're just experiencing mega pinch.

Order the collet that matches the flywheel, you need to make sure the taper on the collet is the same as the flywheel. Place a thin shim behind the collet to ensure the clutch nut tightens all the way.

My biggest piece of advice is get to your nearest track and ask someone there, it sounds like you're in the deep end and without actually looking at it, there's only so much people on here can do.
I just had to get a diff backplate to get my PS to fit on the buggy.

How come I shouldnt turn it over with no flywheel?

Thats a good idea taking those pieces apart and trying to spin it like that, Ill do that if I run into more problems.

How do i know which collet matches which flywheel? http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scripts/prodList.asp
is it any of those?

And I dont have a track near me, Im the only kid in canada with one of these damn things!!! haha.
new to rc cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm assuming you're now not using the pullstart because I thought the mugen motor mounts sit the motor too low for a pullstart to clear the chassis.

Without a flywheel, you've got nothing solid to grab onto to turn the motor over. You simply won't have enough torque to turn the motor over by hand.

I honestly think the locking up at TDC is simply pinch. It can feel really wrong at times, but I'm pretty sure that's all it is without actually looking at the motor.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:42 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by new to rc cars View Post
Thank you so much for the answers, its ok you assumed I am a "noob"

It is going on a MBx5 buggy, I sure hope it has a collet because thats all I need!

Ive got the backplate thing sorted out, I think...

1. how do I make it higher, is that clockwise or CC?

2. dont think so, it was running way too lean, so I opened it a full turn (two half turns with tests in between) and it seems to be running fine now, except for the idle part.

3. possibly

4. dont think so, its got new bearings in it.

Thanks Adrian
you increase the idle by turning the screw clockwise IE you tighten the screw

your idle gap should be at between .7mm to 1mm approximately so if you remove the air filter you can check. basically it's all about getting the balance betweem the Idle and the LSN settings to get the right idle and acceleration on the bottom end.

adrian

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:53 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETRO RC View Post
you increase the idle by turning the screw clockwise IE you tighten the screw

your idle gap should be at between .7mm to 1mm approximately so if you remove the air filter you can check. basically it's all about getting the balance betweem the Idle and the LSN settings to get the right idle and acceleration on the bottom end.

adrian
Ok, thanks, Ill have to tune it further when I get some more gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbine_au View Post
I'm assuming you're now not using the pullstart because I thought the mugen motor mounts sit the motor too low for a pullstart to clear the chassis.

Without a flywheel, you've got nothing solid to grab onto to turn the motor over. You simply won't have enough torque to turn the motor over by hand.

I honestly think the locking up at TDC is simply pinch. It can feel really wrong at times, but I'm pretty sure that's all it is without actually looking at the motor.
You know what happens when you assume....

Yes im using a pullstart. And youre right about the Mugen motor mount, but Im not using a Mugen Motor mount.

How I turn it over is I attach like a 13mm to the backplate (the thing the PS spins) and i attach the 13mm socket into a drill and just give it a few spins like that. I dont do that to start it, I was just doing that to test it.

does this sound like normal pinch: getting it from 2 to 1 o clock is very very hard, then it spins very very easy from 1 to 11 with absolutely no resistance, then getting it from 11 to 10 o clock is very very hard.
new to rc cars is offline   Reply With Quote