R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-06-2008, 02:58 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Landing on front end over jumps, any advice please?

Hi guys

I have a Kyosho Inferno with a 21 engine. It has a fair few alloy hopups all over the car but more on the font end. Over alot of jumps i am landing on the front end of the buggy.. I am new to this so i am hoping there is a skill to landing them properly. Over the same jumps my mate's Swift buggy lands fine but all its body is standard and already carbon fibre.

Is there anything i can do or adjust to get the front to come down and even out for the landings?

thankyou!
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to MaTt 93

just give the throtle a quick bleep while in the air. that should keep the front up

SECOND PLACE IS THE FIRST LOOSER !!
MaTt 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
Tech Adept

I will try that but i think its the weight biased in the buggy as my mate who is new to jumping as well was going fine most of the time over the jumps. I may have been applying the brakes without reliasing.

Need a new front shock due to the landings snapping the shock shaft and i'll get back out and do some testing.

whats shocks you guys recommend for a inferno?
Old 04-06-2008, 03:47 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pracy View Post
I will try that but i think its the weight biased in the buggy as my mate who is new to jumping as well was going fine most of the time over the jumps. I may have been applying the brakes without reliasing.

Need a new front shock due to the landings snapping the shock shaft and i'll get back out and do some testing.

try a little stiffer springs and heavier damping for the front shock... i should think that'll do the trick...

2 cents...
HobbyThingzBlk 201-E, Tampines Street 23, #01-118, Singapore 520201. Tel: 65-67828311, HP: 65-97465015. www.hobbythingz.com, team@hobbythingz.com
Regional Sole Distributor for Team Associated, Orbit Electronics, J Concept and PolyButler. Dealer for Tamiya, Kyosho, GS, Proline, Byron, Os Engines, RB, Futaba, Sanwa, KO.....
Please note that we are closed every Tuesday and P.Holiday. Hours are: 12pm-9pm.
Maikaitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:58 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pracy View Post

You could be onto something there....If it continuously noses dives then the pads are dragging on the disc or even just the front brake more than the rear. I use trinity spring things on my 8's and they fit between the pads to keep the pads apart to eliminate drag.
BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
Tech Adept

thankyou for your reply's again. this will al help.

here is the buggy. does it look front heavy? would thick oil in the front effect anything?

Old 04-06-2008, 04:52 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Try taking some of the rpeload in the rear shocks out.
associatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:36 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

When you come to upgrade the car strt with the shock towers when you bend them (I am assuming it's the 7.5 sport, that's what it looks like) then the actual shocks to the 777 shocks.

Do check the brakes are not dragging, if it's not that it's the shocks. The car should not need huge adjustment in the air. Talk to the guys at your local track and ask about springs (A lighter spring in the back is you general start, that wil help the car "Pop" into the air") and oils.

For now, pick the car up and drop it from a few inches onto a surface and look at the distance of the chassis from the surface. If the back is a lot higher than the front, then take some preload out and even the ride height out from front to back and try that.

There is a lot of info on shocks and jumping on the web, Google is also your friend
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
Tech Adept

thankyou for your advice. will check all of these!

what shocks do you guys recommend as i broke 1 front shock?

I thought google was my friend but no yesturday, i tried all different search terms with no luck!

Nitro buggy biased to front while jumping etc...
Nitro buggy landing on front end jump...
I kept going though!
Old 04-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

http://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=42&page=1

Good links here:

http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/r...on-tuning.html

http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/rc-suspension.html

Getting in depth:

http://users.pandora.be/elvo/

I would say just replace the one shock or go out and treat yourself to Kyosho 777 shocks... but thats a money thing, keep spending and at some point you may as well have bought an upgrade in car... i'm still assuming it's the Kyosho 7.5

Google with rc buggy suspension tuning. If you learn how the suspension works then trouble shooting will get easier the more you learn
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:07 AM   #11
Tech Addict

get hold of the xray xb8 manual and their manual for the setup station both contain very useful set up info the set up station a little more
slow coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

It is highly unlikely that the car is nose diving due to excess weight in the front. The most likely culprit is going to be setup of the car as other people have mentioned. The slightly drag brake in the front will cause the nose to come down. make sure there is no brake at all on the front when you let go of the throttle.

Have any other drivers driven your car to see if it does the same to them? Just trying to eliminate that it is something your doing. I doubt it, but it is a good idea to eliminate yourself as part of the problem.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

either your giving it brak while its in the air or there is too much drag brake check those and when your in the air give it gas to tip back and give it brake to nose dive
superdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #14
Tech Adept

thankyou for you good advice everyone. I have the parts to fix my shock now so i'll be testing out tomorrow. cheers!

I will check brake drag but i'm sure they're fine. but i know i was gassing off to early now. thankyou
Old 04-07-2008, 11:19 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Just a tip since you said that your friend was jumping it fine. You may be lifting off the throttle too early in the approach of the jump causing it to nose dive. Try lifting off while your in the middle of the jump face and adjust your timeing from there.
Genius is offline   Reply With Quote