R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Odds of a 'Test Drive'? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/215624-odds-test-drive.html)

D_Lite 04-04-2008 03:40 PM

Odds of a 'Test Drive'?

I would like to get into off-road racing...and in attempts to avoid yet another 'what's the BEST buggy?' thread...I've combed tons of posts that basically say 'it's not so much the machine, but the driver skill and style...' So with that in mind....

1. How do I find out what my driving 'style' is?
2. What are the odds that I could stroll onto a track during practice or club racing and 'test drive' different poeple's buggies to see how they feel?

I think I've narrowed down my choices to either an Xray or MBX5R...but it would be super helpful to be able to try these out in person...is this a crazy notion???

Vigilante212 04-04-2008 04:53 PM

Some people dont mind, but you gotta remember alot of money goes into these machines people arent just going to hand the controller to a complete stranger.

xlgraphicspro 04-04-2008 05:17 PM

One good way to get you on a racers good side is if you volunteer marshall at races. Once you've earned a racers respect as a good guy, you'll most likely be able to test drive anything. We had this guy named Danny who did that exact thing and everyone loved the guy. They'd volunteer to let him test drive their equipment.

K.Copeland 04-04-2008 06:04 PM

The Mugen and Xray will vary slightly in driving characteristics, but like you said, it's the driver. I will say, as others, that the Losi and most likely the new Xray 808 will be somewhat twitchy on the track and will require you to drive "slow" in order to be fast.

With that said, you really dont' know what buggy will suit you until you get some time behind the wheel, something a few laps behind another drivers car won't be able to do.

Either the Mugen or Xray will be just fine and are excellent buggies to start with until you reach the point when you can say, " this buggy just doesn't suit me anymore." I'd say after a few gallons of fuel through a car and you'll start to feel certain things about the car that you do/don't like.

You've read through post after post which is something most people don't do when they start out, so I give you credit for that.

Congrats on your first post, welcome aboard, and keep up the reading, there is a truckload of info on here.

Mugen MBX-5 04-04-2008 06:19 PM

personally, id let anyone drive me car, if you explained you just wanted a test drive to see how it feel, id have absolutely no hesitation.

as long as he didnt look like some crack head who would run off with my remote and try to sell it for 10$.

bushyar15 04-04-2008 06:52 PM

The one thing is even if you get to drive someone's car it may handle different as they may set their car up differently. I know that is the case with my buddy and myself.

We both have an RC8, yet we prefer a different feel to our buggies. So they don't handle the same....

Mugen MBX-5 04-04-2008 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by bushyar15 (Post 4326322)
The one thing is even if you get to drive someone's car it may handle different as they may set their car up differently. I know that is the case with my buddy and myself.

We both have an RC8, yet we prefer a different feel to our buggies. So they don't handle the same....

very very good point.

R40Victim 04-04-2008 07:51 PM

Beat me to it!

As it's been said, both the cars you're looking at are great kits, and either will serve you well. I'd suggest you look at the LHS to see which would have better parts support, should you get caught needing a clutch spring or set of shoes. ;)

On a side note, you might consider this. Have you done other forms of RC racing before? I ask, because your initial statement was you wanted to get into off road. If you came from On road, then the "Twitchy" car will feel a little more natural to you. I came from electric and nitro touring, so the 8ight suited my "style" very well.

D_Lite 04-04-2008 10:06 PM

Thanx...for the positive encouragement!

No...this will be my first attempt at off-road RC...my previous off-road experience is more with 4x4s and mountain bikes! I love the rush of adrenaline + dirt + competition...so I've done some research and I think this is one sport I'd like to try my hand at!

oh, and I'm definately NOT a crack-head....so too bad I'm not in Canada, Mugen MBX-5, or I'd take you up on the offer to try out your buggy! :nod:

and xlgraphicspro, your suggestion on volunteer marshall is a good one...if anyone has recommendations on which track in So. Calif is friendliest to 'strangers'...I'd appreciate it!

Mugen MBX-5 04-04-2008 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by D_Lite (Post 4326716)
No...this will be my first attempt at off-road RC...my previous off-road experience is more with 4x4s and mountain bikes! I love the rush of adrenaline + dirt + competition...so I've done some research and I think this is one sport I'd like to try my hand at!

oh, and I'm definately NOT a crack-head....so too bad I'm not in Canada, Mugen MBX-5, or I'd take you up on the offer to try out your buggy! :nod:

and xlgraphicspro, your suggestion on volunteer marshall is a good one...if anyone has recommendations on which track in So. Calif is friendliest to 'strangers'...I'd appreciate it!

lol, im not calling you one or saying you look like one. im just saying, if some respectable, trustable, guy comes up to me and explains his (your) situation, id let him try my car, id tell him "watch out, its pretty damn fast" because there are some "noobs" that will just floor it straight into a curb like an idiot, so i (they) will probably tell you something along those lines, maybe a "be careful, please dont wreck it". but im sure most people would let you take it for a lap or two. and maybe even volunteer to marshall, i wouldnt mind marshalling a race or two just for fun, ive never even been around another rc car'er let alone marshalling a race :)

and yeah, id let someone drive my car anytime, if they broke it im sure theyd pay for it, and if they didnt, pay for it yourself, it cant be that much damage done.

ps: what kind of mountain biking do you do? what kinda bike do you got? got any pics? heres my bike?

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1375745/

and what do you mean by 4x4? truck or quad? i have a quad too, but we wont go there ;)

rezenclowd3 04-04-2008 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by D_Lite (Post 4326716)

Where about in So Cal are you? So Cal has MANY tracks, but can be quite separated by 2-3 hour drives. Revelation/ Hot Rod/ The Dirt/ ARC/ Ventura Roadrunners/ Santa Barbara...on and on and on.

D_Lite 04-04-2008 11:35 PM

Pasadena, CA...

I'm in the San Gabriel Valley area....so, Santa Barbara is a tad too far, rezencloud3....can you suggest a track closer to LA where people are friendly/helpful and less likely to poke fun at a newbie?

Mugen MBX-5, I used to ride a Stuntjumper, but upgraded to a Giant Reign at the end of last year....I usually ride single track in the Angeles National Forest and adventure racing events whenever a good one shows up!
ps: Your bike's cool! I like the pic with the 'no footer'! :lol:

Just out of curiosity...are there any "must HAVE" tools I should acquire before I tackle a kit? Anyone got a 'I can't live without my....' tool?

cheesecake 04-04-2008 11:38 PM

if you lived by me id hand over the controller. alot of people have let me drive there cars to see how they are and i know its the best way to figure out what you want.

Mugen MBX-5 04-04-2008 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by D_Lite (Post 4326843)
I'm in the San Gabriel Valley area....so, Santa Barbara is a tad too far, rezencloud3....can you suggest a track closer to LA where people are friendly/helpful and less likely to poke fun at a newbie?

Mugen MBX-5, I used to ride a Stuntjumper, but upgraded to a Giant Reign at the end of last year....I usually ride single track in the Angeles National Forest and adventure racing events whenever a good one shows up!
ps: Your bike's cool! I like the pic with the 'no footer'! :lol:

Just out of curiosity...are there any "must HAVE" tools I should acquire before I tackle a kit? Anyone got a 'I can't live without my....' tool?

thank you, see the new 08 giant glory yet? its nice i like it. you should see my new no footers, way cleaner ;)

and i seen a 07 fox 40rc2 in calgary the other day, brand new. mspr 2300$. going for 999.999 brand new from a shop!!!

must haves:

tire bands
clutch tool
2.0 mm allen key wrench
2.5 mm allen key wrench
3.0 mm "
3.5 mm "
(or get a set of keys, but the wrenches are WAY easier to use and at 5$ each, totally worth it)
extra screw kit
rechargeable AA batteries for your remote!

thats about all i can think of, the only one that isint an absolute must are the tire bands, but other than that i use all the other tools i mentioned several times a day. good question to ask.

Mugen MBX-5 04-04-2008 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by cheesecake (Post 4326847)
if you lived by me id hand over the controller. alot of people have let me drive there cars to see how they are and i know its the best way to figure out what you want.

yeah i think most people would, even if it wasnt for a "test drive" and just a "see how these damn things are", once in a lifetime, kind of drive, id still let someone try er out.