Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Engine sealing. >

Engine sealing.

Engine sealing.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Put a blob in a small container...then SOAK it in Nitro...see what happens to ur precious RTV....IT MELTS...cuz its not NItro Proof...Trust me it may appear sealed...but ANY leakage and the bond has been broken....Ive seeen SOO many LEAKY RTV sealed motor's its not even funny....1211 or Racer's edge is the ONLY Stuff ill trust....Ive heard of the GM stuff and YamaLube that yamaha tech's use on there motor's......cheesecake thats a decent write up but with the WRONG Sealant....I wish that thread never existed so someone could do a Proper version with the Right sealant.
Don't have to, as I've said used it for years with excellent results. Where it is sealing the parts we're talking about it is not immersed in nitro or a mist of fuel. I understand what you are saying, but sealing an engine and soaking it in nitro are two different horses. I guess we both agree to disagree, no harm in that.
: )
Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrow1
Don't have to, as I've said used it for years with excellent results. Where it is sealing the parts we're talking about it is not immersed in nitro or a mist of fuel. I understand what you are saying, but sealing an engine and soaking it in nitro are two different horses. I guess we both agree to disagree, no harm in that.
: )
5 bucks for a tube of sealant specificly for nitro engine and last u long time, it's not 500 bucks. i just don't understand y people wanna take the risk. 5 bucks, no big deal man.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

I've never had to seal ANY RB, NovaRossi, Lamberto collari (works), Rex, TOP, Mugen, OS motors EVER. The only motor I have ever owned that needed sealing was a Pico (carb). Buy good motors & the only time they will leak is if an O-ring has been damaged or worn out.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Bought some racers edge air seal. $6.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Just put some regular sealer its red worked no leak but I'm still gonna get the racers edge stuff.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RBMike
I've never had to seal ANY RB, NovaRossi, Lamberto collari (works), Rex, TOP, Mugen, OS motors EVER. The only motor I have ever owned that needed sealing was a Pico (carb). Buy good motors & the only time they will leak is if an O-ring has been damaged or worn out.
I had to seal both my C6 and my OS 28... I find sealant like 1211 makes a better seal then just a o-ring or gasket alone will.. these mills operate on crankcase pressure and the better sealed the engine is the more efficiently it can run..... I know most motors really do not need to be sealed, they will operate quite fine without being sealed... but without a doupt only good can come from sealing an engine.. maybe a o-ring will make a 100% seal, or maybe it will make a 95% seal, i can guarantee sealant will make a 100% seal every single time..its easy to apply. its also easy to cleanup...its a win win situation any way you look at it.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RBMike

HAH...I got proof that Just because u Spend Big $$ on a motor does NOT mean it wont have any leaks....Purfect example....Buddy's BRAND new Os Speed....Leaked like a Siv out at the nats....backplate...carb...pinchbolt.....the motor was Blatently wet compared to the rest of the mills and thats 1 of the most expensive race mills u can buy....Big money Does not = Purfect performance.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

PURRR fect
Old 04-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

whether it makes a difference or not, but I do run and live in a very cold climate... I also run in weather that is sometimes below freezing.. I find i have to seal pretty much every engine I run regardless of manufacturer...
Old 04-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Talking

dont have to seal novarossi engines . i have never once had a problem with a leaky crank case in any novarossi engine , if you feel it necessary then thats fine ,all that i am saying is that i dont do it and havent had to in over 100 engines that i have built and or maintained . just make sure your orings are in good shape and put a little oring safe oil on all of them before you put the engine together and its all good .
monty

and i am not really for or against using air seal , if you do choose to use air seal i am sure the product peter at TKO is coming out is going to be the goods !!!

Last edited by houston; 04-04-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

By the end of next week TKO will have the identical formula as the,no longer, Racers Choice Air Seal in stock.

www.tkocompetitiondev.com
Old 04-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
dont have to seal novarossi engines .
I know several Novarossi team drives who seal all of there motors. Actually they recommend it...

Every motor manufacture can at times need to be sealed.

It doesn't take much time to do & only can benefit you. Cheap insurance IMO..
Old 04-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Walters
I know several Novarossi team drives who seal all of there motors. Actually they recommend it...

Every motor manufacture can at times need to be sealed.

It doesn't take much time to do & only can benefit you. Cheap insurance IMO..
+1

Manufacturers have certain tolerances they aim for, but no engine or mating part is ever the same from unit to unit they may be close, but a little variation can lead to a leak. Seal it up if done right it causes no harm.