R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Well, what I have seen on Ebay is engines that have a lot more gallons or wasn't cared for correctly. One engine was at the 2 gallon mark and was just pinched. Now if you need to pinch a 2 gallon Novarossi, then you definitely don't want that engine. I have personally gotten engines that were supposedly at the gallon or less, and the sleeve were done. Super clean inside, but not broken in or tuned right.

I feel what most are trying to say is, only get a used motor if you know the person or trust them with what they are stating the condition is. It also helps if you have some experience with engines, so if you new to this hobby, you could be opening a can of worms with a used engine and you could spend more money to correct it in the end.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:43 AM   #17
Tech Rookie

It was stated above that you could put a small restrictor in a vspec and make it feel like a cheap o.s. vg. That is a false statement. Installing a smaller retrictor will increase bottom end punch with minmal effect on top end while also incresing fuel economy. It will not make an engine feel slower.

Just my .02.
rcracer357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremtr View Post
Houston is "one " of only a few respected guys I would not hesitate buying a used engine from, myself being another. We take a lot of pride in our work and tuning abilities to not let a DUD go out. Personally I keep all the engines I run in tip top condition and if I have a problem child I work at it until I find a cure or it simply never makes it past the parts pile
Isn't that right Crim3?
You are correct, sir, yes.

mremtr is an engine master!
Crim3Wav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer357 View Post
It was stated above that you could put a small restrictor in a vspec and make it feel like a cheap o.s. vg. That is a false statement. Installing a smaller retrictor will increase bottom end punch with minmal effect on top end while also incresing fuel economy. It will not make an engine feel slower.

Just my .02.
If it is your 2 cents, then you are stating an opinion....

If you detune the motor and use a smaller restrictor it will fell slower....smaller retrictor for less top end and detuned to take the bottom away.
Crim3Wav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #20
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

i agree that an engine from a trusted source would be the only engine i would buy if i were in other peoples shoes . i rebuild em and make em right , sometimes a little too right fast fast fast
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:39 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Default jp

I have bought a few second hand engines in the past with no worry at all. in my opinion the jp motor is an awesome motor and i have one myself. When i buy a second hand motor, with the owners permission i pull the back plate off and inpsect the rod. Spin the motor to top dead center then rotate the crank back and forward and observe the play in the big end. If it has more than a few degrees 10-12 it may need replacing. Also observe if there is any dirt and crap inside the motor. pull the head off pop the liner out followed by the piston and rod. look for any marks on the side of the piston. check for any cracks between transfer ports in the liner.. Pop the crank out and feel if the bearing are gritty or grindy. sometimes you can pick up bargains buying second hand motors if you have a bit of an idea on what to look for. Also before you pull it apart pull out the glow plug an spin the motor over and feel how much nip it has at tdc. My jp black has next to no nip at all yet when you put the glow plug in it has a lot on compression.

I have got into a habbit of pulling the engine right down and cleaning the block / crank in an ultrasonic cleaner after every race meat. it allows me to keep an eye on things on the inside and gets rids of minute dust particals and foreign material. I mainly do this on my jpfx ro3 drag engine cause it is so hard on rods. If you get in the habbit of maintaining stuff properly you will find this hobby becomes a fair bit cheaper and more enjoyable when problems become few and far between.
as you are new to the hobby it may be worth while getting the owner of the motor to pull it down in front of you. Most guys will happily do so if they have nothing to hide.
Just my 2 cents worth. anyone have anything to add????
nitrodragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:35 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodragster View Post
I have bought a few second hand engines in the past with no worry at all. in my opinion the jp motor is an awesome motor and i have one myself. When i buy a second hand motor, with the owners permission i pull the back plate off and inpsect the rod. Spin the motor to top dead center then rotate the crank back and forward and observe the play in the big end. If it has more than a few degrees 10-12 it may need replacing. Also observe if there is any dirt and crap inside the motor. pull the head off pop the liner out followed by the piston and rod. look for any marks on the side of the piston. check for any cracks between transfer ports in the liner.. Pop the crank out and feel if the bearing are gritty or grindy. sometimes you can pick up bargains buying second hand motors if you have a bit of an idea on what to look for. Also before you pull it apart pull out the glow plug an spin the motor over and feel how much nip it has at tdc. My jp black has next to no nip at all yet when you put the glow plug in it has a lot on compression.

I have got into a habbit of pulling the engine right down and cleaning the block / crank in an ultrasonic cleaner after every race meat. it allows me to keep an eye on things on the inside and gets rids of minute dust particals and foreign material. I mainly do this on my jpfx ro3 drag engine cause it is so hard on rods. If you get in the habbit of maintaining stuff properly you will find this hobby becomes a fair bit cheaper and more enjoyable when problems become few and far between.
as you are new to the hobby it may be worth while getting the owner of the motor to pull it down in front of you. Most guys will happily do so if they have nothing to hide.
Just my 2 cents worth. anyone have anything to add????
Be careful with the engine bearings. It is known that ultrasonic cleaning the bearings can damage them. It dents the balls and will eventually fail. If you haven't had any issues, then good, but just keep that in mind.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #23
Tech Rookie

check it.... amain got the new os ninja......that would look nice sittin in the mbx5t.....i wonder how this one compares to the grp ninja

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/23465
rustyshacklferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #24
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

NOVAROSSI !!!!
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:02 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
Be careful with the engine bearings. It is known that ultrasonic cleaning the bearings can damage them. It dents the balls and will eventually fail. If you haven't had any issues, then good, but just keep that in mind.

?? So all of the stainless components I manufacture , all of which get cleaned in an ultrasonic trichloroethylene solvent , should be out of tolerance then?

What about jewelry cleaners?
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayeddy View Post
?? So all of the stainless components I manufacture , all of which get cleaned in an ultrasonic trichloroethylene solvent , should be out of tolerance then?

What about jewelry cleaners?
Are they assembled bearings? It appears assembled bearings when ultrasound cleaned have the races collide with the balls, inducing dents.

http://code541.gsfc.nasa.gov/documen...TIP%20026R.pdf
Old 04-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJa View Post
dont buy from PDL racing... as they are no longer in business.... but the site is still up...

Please explain how you know this......They say there stuff is instock and everything is discounted.........Thought about buying from them but don`t want pay for someting I will never get.......

Where else can I buy Jean Paul`s engines
Old 04-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossoh10 View Post
Please explain how you know this......They say there stuff is instock and everything is discounted.........Thought about buying from them but don`t want pay for someting I will never get.......

Where else can I buy Jean Paul`s engines
check your pm's
SteveJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:57 AM   #29
Tech Adept

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. i havent had any trouble to date but then again i change my bearings regularly. for me its cheap insurance. I will keep and eye on things and do a bit more investigation. After running a highly modified jpfxro3 in my dragster i have learnt to not take chances with anything as it can cost a lot of $$$$ real quick if things go wrong. I use methanol in the ultrasonic bath.

Do you have any links to where i can find info on the bearings pitting.
nitrodragster is offline   Reply With Quote