Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Tire & wheel Prep (drill or punch) >

Tire & wheel Prep (drill or punch)

Tire & wheel Prep (drill or punch)

Old 04-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Tire & wheel Prep (drill or punch)

A question on tire and wheel prep. I bought Team Cobra tires and wheels, they look great !!!
Should I drill a couple holes in the wheels or use a leather punch on the tires.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 04-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

if they are already mounted leave em be, but if you have some new ones you can punc 2 holes in the tire one on either side.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have holes on the inside of ALL my wheels and I puch 2 holes opposite each other in the tires.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

If you have holes in your wheels you should plug them! They only servo to let dirt and moisture in. Punch hole in your tires will allow stuf to get thrown out.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default hole

Originally Posted by slaytanic
If you have holes in your wheels you should plug them! They only servo to let dirt and moisture in. Punch hole in your tires will allow stuf to get thrown out.
What size hole should I go with 3/32" 1/8" 1/4" 3/8".......
Old 04-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slaytanic
100% agreed

When/if you wash your tire, put them on a screw driver and blow them with an air compressor. The centrifugal force of them spinning will blow any water out. Your floams will last much longer if they are not stored wet.

What size hole should I go with 3/32" 1/8" 1/4" 3/8".......
I do two 1/16" hole. 180 apart. IF you buy pre-mounted go ahead a punch them too. The small holes in the foams too with do nothing.

Something like this is worth a few bucks..

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-6-Position-R...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

I disagree on the wheel vs. tire thing... we always drill the rims in a couple of places. (I haven't mounted any on Cobra rims yet though, still waiting on my first tire shipment.)

If you don't DUNK your tires to wash them, you won't get enough moisture in there to matter. I've never had a foam fail from that yet... always burned the tires up first. And I do wash my tires and wheels.

Conversely, the hole on the tire is a place for a failure (tear) to start. Catch a rock or other object and it could potentially be a problem. (Yes, a hole in the rim is a place for a stress crack to start also, but I have never had that happen with any rim YET.) It is also in contact with the ground, some dirt is gonna get in there.

I usually do 4 holes about 3/32" diameter evenly spaced around the rim, and about midway across. I've never yet had a foam fail in a tire I mounted, even when they're worn out to the point of having no tread left in the middle.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Two holes in the tire.

If you run on a clay track, then I'd say holes in the wheels would be allright.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

i always put 2 holes in the wheels.
never had a problem.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default punched

Bought a leather punch and punched 2 holes in each tire.
Thanks for all the feedback.

Neil
Old 04-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

the two hole in the tires works for me... none in the rim.. allows dirt and moisture out.. the rims No holes if possible...
Old 04-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have had tires come apart when i have punched holes in the tire, I hit a pipe and i guess it split right where i punched the hole. Tire was one qualifying heat old. I was pist. That was the first and last time i ever punched the tire. I have never had a problem with punching holes in the rim, say what you want about moisture, as long as your not dipping them in a tub of water, or racing in a mudpit you should never have a problem. I guess its personal prefference, there are pros and cons to both.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

think about it if u put holes in your rims when u get done running and u pull ur wheels off there is always dirt and stuff on the inside of the rim and when that that tire spins that stuff will try to force outward and if there is a hole it's goin in. I had a problem last year, I balance my wheels and I went to a race and balanced a set (seems like every race weekend I have to rebalance a little), went out and ran some laps then came back in pits and cleaned the car up and tires and while waiting for qual I was bored and stuck a tire on my balancer and it was off and the clay was still there like before I was curios so I balanced everything and put the tires on the car and fired up the car on a stand and ran it pretty good for about 30 sec with the tires off the ground and then checked the balance again and it was off?
When I got home I pulled tires apart and there was little piles of dust and rolled up mud inbetween the foam and rim and nothing on the outside of the foam. I sealed up the holes on the rim w/glue and the balance stayed true from weekend to weekend (unless I hit something which I do) in the fall I pulled some tires apart and there were no little dust piles in them, and the foam was about a 1/4"dirty on the outside but nothing that would cause a problem. I always mount my own tires and I punch 3 holes in the tire with a leather punch, don't know the size maybe 1/8" smallest on the punch.I have never had a jaged edge of a rock get stuck in that little hole and tear a tire, it's never happened to me and never seen it. I heard some people say holes on rim and tire that way stuff goes though but u put foam on ur air intake to keep dust and dirt out so how do u expect that stuff to go though a tire foam?
There is this one guy at the track who tell's everyone they should seal those holes up cause it wrecks the foam getting dirty and wet, but he is the one telling the track director the track needs water no traction, but nobody hasa problem? H e goes out and runs and when he punches it he has said to me look at that power caus his tires baloon and I just say yep. They look like a v caus it's sucking in the side walls so only the very center of the tire is touching the track, and a few times talking to him I see his tires and they got mounds of glue on them and he says the tire company's can't glue worth crap

I'm bored so it'slong and I know I'm wrong about this and everything else in life, but I know I'm right yep I do
Old 04-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

i haved followed yuichi kanai style for years ; 3 1/16th inch holes in a triangle shape on buggy tires with a leather punch , 3 1/8th holes in truggy , no holes in rims (bad idea) dirt build up inside tire =very unbalanced wipe all surfaces with denatured alcohol make sure beads of tires are nice and flat with no extra flashing before gluing , use losi red or kyosho glue and you will not have a problem .
monty