Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyper .21 overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hyper .21 overheating?

ok I'm a newb lost in my owners manual as it only says so much... and hope someone will guide me as to why is my hyper .21 is obviously overheating yet can't get rich enough to cool it down? Motor cranks up fine, I have adjusted needles to reccomended settings and within minutes tou can hear the motor almost whine and then it gets well over two hundred and can't fatten it up with the main needle to cool er down before it choking... with tons of blue smoke???. Please tell me if there is possibly a sure fire way to figure out what is happening and a procedure to do so. Hey I really appreciate any and all good help as I really want to learn.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

in my experance with this engine it tends to run hot, you may have your low speed needle too lean this what may be causing some of your problems.your main needle may be right but if the low speed needle is too lean it can cause your problem. HOWEVER, if you are putting out good smoke throughout the power band, and the engine runs consistently without being over 325 than you should be fine. every engine is defferant some run well at 190 others run well at 280 make sure that you have good smoke and good power and you should be fine.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

R u running 20 or 30% nitro and what plug? i have a 21 8port and she runs great sorry to hear you are having problems, if your dead set on your high speed needle then richen up your low end and adjust the idle if needed, i had problems at first with my 21 then as i read more on how to tune it she runs great now.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Rookie

the hyper 8 port likes to run about 250 degrees, not too hot for this motor, thats just its sweet spot. also a new engine will warm up fast at first, just take it easy during break-in. once you get get past 5 or 6 tanks this engine will start to come around and make for a smooth but strong racer. this motor is very underrated in my book and you can only expect good things from it. jsut don't touch the mid speed needle!
Old 04-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I swapped carbs to an os 20e and the engine ran so much better. Tuning was much more consistant with that carb.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:39 PM
ALG
Tech Regular

TRUE!!!
engine runs on the hot side,
just look at the smoke and I used a OS A5 Plug.
Have fun
Old 04-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CHogle
in my experance with this engine it tends to run hot, you may have your low speed needle too lean this what may be causing some of your problems.your main needle may be right but if the low speed needle is too lean it can cause your problem. HOWEVER, if you are putting out good smoke throughout the power band, and the engine runs consistently without being over 325 than you should be fine. every engine is defferant some run well at 190 others run well at 280 make sure that you have good smoke and good power and you should be fine.
hmm, im pretty sure my engine is tuned pretty close to "good" and i run it for a while, yet the temp never goes higher than like 188F, approx 190. kinda weird how your guys go over 300 and mins has a hard time getting 190....
Old 04-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

True to your statement but in relation to everones location on the map the ambient temperature outside is gonna affect how the engine runs and the temps it can achieve, mine runs about the 230 to 250 mark never over that and it around 90 to 100 degrees in the day and 70 to 80s at night, remember these motors are cooled by air temp and the tuneing you put on the motor itself.