R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Questions?? Making an R/C run quieter...

I have a friend who has a Sportworks Turmoil RTR buggy who runs it on a home-made track in his back yard. There is one neighbor who is complaining about the noise. He would like to find an add-on silencer or something to replace the stock muffler that would quiet down the engine as much as possible without too much of a performance hit (not sure if those conditions are mutually exclusive).

Any ideas on where to find one? I looked around and found some for R/C airplanes, but nothing (so far) for cars. Thanks!

n10cities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There are sound restrictions across the pond somewhere and they are able to overcome the issue with special tuned pipes. Wish I could be more help, but that should be the direction you're looking. I think its called EFRA... do a search and see what you come up with.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Tech Master

Get a new 3 chamber pipe (that's as quiet as you can get right now) & install an intake air box (seen in 1/8 on-road's now). If that's not quiet enough, make an electric conversion.
-ROAR 4 cell rule Blows
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Electric conversion is probably the only solution. The pipes in Europe do make the cars be within the sound levels allowed, but in a neighborhood anything above 80 db is probably a problem.... There is no way to silence a .21 that much without losing a lot of performance.....
ehartman_49348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I love the sound of a good-running nitro, but when you know there are people around (neighbors, etc...) that are upset over the noise, it takes the fun out of it for me. I don't like to be the @#$hole... I respect other people.

So.... maybe it is time to go electric, or maybe go to a small block 1/10 truck that are much quieter and less "bra--a--a-a-a-a-a-p!!!"
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

EFRA... I can't honestly say i could tell an EFRA pipe going by based on noise level, and i work at a track 5-7 days a week where people use them and practice with them for sanctioned events.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMike View Post
Get a new 3 chamber pipe (that's as quiet as you can get right now) & install an intake air box (seen in 1/8 on-road's now). If that's not quiet enough, make an electric conversion.
Do you know of any links I can check out? Thanks!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:29 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
I love the sound of a good-running nitro, but when you know there are people around (neighbors, etc...) that are upset over the noise, it takes the fun out of it for me. I don't like to be the @#$hole... I respect other people.

So.... maybe it is time to go electric, or maybe go to a small block 1/10 truck that are much quieter and less "bra--a--a-a-a-a-a-p!!!"

I hear ya'. He has several neighbors around him and all have no problem with the buggy except ONE Seems that is the way it always goes. I am afraid an electric conversion is probably out of the question (shortage of funds), and I don't think he wants to turn around and spend more money for another vehicle