R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-31-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Need a little advice...

So me and a buddy are looking to get into 1/8 scale truggy racing. Being that we arent into RC racing at all right now we are looking at RTR kits. I understand that the RTR kits aren't near as good as the Pro kits and so on and so forth. But seeing as how we are trying to get into the hobby for fairly cheap since we aren't sure we are going to be in love with it enough to fork out over 1g for a nice setup on a kit truggy.

What are good rtr kits, that won't break the bank, but still be competitive enough to race with.

I.E.

Robitronics Mantis
OCM Chaos DT19T
Hot Bodies
Kyosho Inferno
Jammin
Hobao Hyper ST

I am sure there are plenty more, those are just the few i have been looking at and researching... We are looking to stay under $450 US for the truggy itself. Also being that we are located in Florida, we are looking for something that has a nice deal of parts backing with it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and if you leave input.... Thank you for taking the time to help two future hobbyists get into the world of 1/8scale off road racing.

ALSO! Before it is mentioned I understand the Losi Eight-T is a great truggy, and comes with a great radio.... At this point in time we are not looking to spend 700 bucks on a truggy setup...

We are going to buy the truggy's in RTR form, search ebay and forums for nice used radios, and spektrum units, along with servos, motors and pipes as the time goes on if we fall in love with the sport. Like I said previously we want something competitive for local club racing, and maybe to have fun with in the state series, but we also want it to be cost effective.

Mind you that we are 24 and 25, and be it we have money, it doesn't grow on trees.

Thank you again, for your time, and assistance,

-Brandon
Euro Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
Tech Regular

I heard that the Kyosho is a really good handling truck but is really expensive. I've been really happy with my Pro Jammin CRT and have good feedback on the Hyper St. They're both really durable and if they do break parts are not so expensive. The rtr versions are pretty good as well with the jammin and hyper. You'll have to check your local hobbyshop though to know more about parts support.

I think you have a pretty good approach to starting up in the hobby. Buying second hand equipment is alright but be cautious when it comes to electronics like radios and servos. A defect with these can be difficult to repair.

Good luck
Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Thank you for the response... I have been talking to my friend, and I don't believe we will be buying the electronics used, we are pretty set on the new spektrum dx3r system....

As far as prices for the kits go, they are all between 350-450, the Robitronics is the most at 450, the ocm I believe is 350-400, I found the Kyosho Inferno RTR for 419, and the Hobao Hyper ST I found for 389 RTR....

A buddy of mine I used to race onroad with works at superior hobbies, and he suggested the robitronics to me, so I checked into it.... I was originally looking at the OCM because it is going to be a newer truggy on the market, I figure since the truggy is new, and we are new, it would be cool since we don't have any biase to a company right now.... I am just looking for something that has a good parts following now, which has turned me away from the Robitronics and OCM, and more towards the Hobao/Ofna, Jammin, and the Kyosho.

Once again, thank you for the time to read this, and the effort put forth in your replies.

-Brandon
Old 04-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a Jammin CRT and really enjoy it. With the right setup, it's easy to drive and plenty fast. The electronics that come with the RTR are junk, but you mentioned a DX3R. A couple good servos and you'll be in business! Good luck and happy racing.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Well, for starters... There isn't really any question about if your going to fall in love with RC racing If your already doing this much research then you've been bitten by the bug.

That being said.. I recommend the Losi. Yes it cost more, but you won't regret it. I just got my 8ight-b in the mail and saying that im blown away is an understatement. I raced a Hyper 8 last year and moving up to an 8ight feels like im actually handling a purpose built racing machine.

What ever you decide... You'll have fun.. 1/8 scale racing will blow you away.
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Tech Regular

I have no doubt, that I am going to fall in love with the sport.... It is my buddy I am concerned about. He has never really done any form of RC Racing competitive or not, so I don't know if he will like it as much as I do.

That is the reason why I am looking for the best cheap RTR's I figured if we have the same thing, then we can stock the same parts, so it would be cheaper. I am mainly doing this to get him into the hobby as cheapily as possible so that way he can hopefully get hooked as I am.

-Brandon
Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That being the case, I'd suggest you get a new kit, and he get a used one. Then, if he bails, you have a parts car/beater for bashing and/or introducing others to the hobby. I have two of those, and they've been a great way to let a noob take a few laps and see if they're really interested. The initial sticker shock is rough on people. But once you own an 8th scale, you begin to realize operating costs are minimal...these things are TANKS!
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)
Send a message via MSN to zJatoRad

if you decide to go with RTR's, I suggest the Hyper ST RTR, my dad had it and was vey happy with it, raced it and didn't break a single part, he did upgrad the steering knuckles though, but he got them off ebay very cheap, and parts are very very cheap on ebay.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zJatoRad View Post
if you decide to go with RTR's, I suggest the Hyper ST RTR, my dad had it and was vey happy with it, raced it and didn't break a single part, he did upgrad the steering knuckles though, but he got them off ebay very cheap, and parts are very very cheap on ebay.
+1...The Hyper ST is an awesome truggy out of the box. Go check out the ofna forums and read their thread on the ST. Great advice and set up info.
Bad Dog Rc
www.baddogrc.com
www.speedtechrc.com
My rides

Jammin CRT.5 w/ OS .12 TZP 5
Team Losi 8ight-T w/ Ninja JX .21
stiffler297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Yea I think we are leaning towards the Hodao/Ofna Hyper ST... Also don't Jammin parts work on it? Just curious to that.

Also who makes bodies for that truck, because we would essentially want to have nice custom bodies...

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

-Brandon
Old 04-02-2008, 01:07 AM   #11
Tech Addict

the hyper is a good truggy and Jconcepts makes after market body for it

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!

Last edited by RETRO RC; 04-02-2008 at 01:20 AM.
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:18 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Matrix TR $450 ready to go
headrushhobbies.com
Old 04-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #13
Tech Adept

i think that the jammin x1x truggy would be the way to go. it has the super big bores already on it also it has the new servo saver kit which is also on the factory kit along with the big bores.

http://www.jamminproducts.com/x1crtrtr.htm
wallnutz684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:29 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)
Send a message via MSN to zJatoRad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Stealth View Post
Yea I think we are leaning towards the Hodao/Ofna Hyper ST... Also don't Jammin parts work on it? Just curious to that.

Also who makes bodies for that truck, because we would essentially want to have nice custom bodies...

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

-Brandon
the jammin is a completely different truck, ofna distributes the Hyper and the Jammin but they're from totally different companies.

I have only seen the stock body but you can also get the Pro Body which is a direct fit and they're very tough IMO.

The Hyper also has big bores but not as big as the jammin.