R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Brand new NovaRossi P5X difficult to start, locked up?

Bought this with 2 tanks run through it very rich to break in, engine and pipe look mint.

Engine resides on a Losi 8ight, using Losi starter box and Byron 25%, 11% lubrication fuel.

Heated with a blowdryer to 150 degrees and managed to fire up in the house for a few seconds (yes, not the brightest idea) Engine sounded good, responsive.

Rush to start outside and briefly starts up, dies and locks up. With plug out it's VERY hard to turn over, even after TDC. Is this normal and how long does it take before this thing loosens up? I hope I don't have to warm this engine up with a hairdryer at the track

Also, how many tanks should I run rich before leaning her out?

Thank you!

Last edited by Cannondale1974; 03-31-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Cannondale1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

search through threads on how to break in engines . first thing you should have done is get it to at least 220 while running , its called heat cycling . do not let engine just sit there and idle . i have piston / sleeve sets that wont break til after 2 gallons
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Heat cycling? Yep, should have read up on this. I'm an old school plane guy, used to run a few tanks through rich and they were good to go.

Soooooo, have I f-cked something up? (for lack of better term)
Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Also, do I need to use a heat gun rather than a hairdryer to get to 220 degrees? I held the hairdryer on the engine for maybe 5-8 minutes and it only reached 150 degrees.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:38 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

In the rookie forum, there was a guy who wrote up a very nice post on how to break in a nitro engine... I understand that you might not be a rookie to RC, but everyone can use some help every now and again.
Euro Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Heat gun will get it over 200F. Hair dryer may see 160 at the most. Get it over 200, and try to keep it at 220 but no more than 250. Wrap the head in foil and apply heat if needed, but keep the mixture rich. I would say run 5-6 tanks this way, let it shut off and cool down between tanks. Just heat it up first before crank it over.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cheesecake

put piston at bdc remove glow plug add 4-5 drops of after run oil heat it up to 150 and try to start on the box your problem i think is that weak losi starter box. but at 150 you should be able to fire it up
cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
Tech Adept

I have just finsihed break in wiht my novarossi p5xs using the twin motor smd starter box. i will admit it was hard to turn over an dlocked up a few times for the first 5 tanks.

only bad expierence i have had is with a used enigne i got which had been over pinched i had to take a blow tourch (all i had ) to get it up to a temp so it would turn over but runs fine now.
adz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the reply's. How do you know when it's been overpinched?

What are the chances I've damaged the connecting rod/pistion/sleeve? I can't remember having an engine locked up like this and I've had fairly extensive experience with gas cars years ago as well. (maybe I'm rusty these days
Old 04-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale1974 View Post
Thanks for all the reply's. How do you know when it's been overpinched?

What are the chances I've damaged the connecting rod/pistion/sleeve? I can't remember having an engine locked up like this and I've had fairly extensive experience with gas cars years ago as well. (maybe I'm rusty these days
It should be fine, but heat it up, or you'll hammer the rod end bushing in the process.
Get it hot, make sure your starter box is charged and setup properly, or you'll be using a screwdriver to unlock the engine a lot.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
Tech Adept

I doubt yours would be over pinched as its a new engine just needs run in,, as above heat up the engine get it running dont be afraid to lean it out slightly r throttle a wee bit to keep temps up and keep it running but dont go mad with it.
i had to use a screw dirve ron the flywheel myself a a gd few times. also try loosening the glow plug ever so slighty but as soon as runnign remember to tighten it up again.
adz06 is offline   Reply With Quote