R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default losi 8ight flex chassis

I am building a new losi 8ight for this year and saw this new chassis and thought why not so had my LHS order one for me picked it up today and laid it next to my new chassis out of the buggy kit and besides being a different color and some of the sides being milled away does anyone know of a difference? There was a couple guys at the obby shop and they were all thinking of getting it to, but they thought why couldnt I just grind away a little of the chassis too and then save almost $50? What I would really like is for someone too tell me I just spent $90 on some special chassis made out of some space age metal, we weigh it and the new one weigh's .8 oz less which would count for the milling.
sptrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Yea, you can mill a stock kit chassis. It is messy. I did this to my chassis before I got a TFT chassis. Took a while with the Dremel.

That is the only difference I know of.
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
Tech Addict

The only difference between the standard chassis and the flex chassis is that the sides are milled down. The material and the thickness of the two chassis are the same. If you have a standard chassis I would suggest that you take it to a machine shop or something to get the same effect. I know I don't have the patience to do all that work with a dremel. On the positive side, the chassis does help the car out alot.
chuckinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Guys, sorry if I sound offensive, but to me only Graphite or Carbon Fibre chassis plates' flex can help a car. But in the case of 7***-T* aluminium/duralumin material, I thought the plates might get tweaked if flexing is induced? Sorry if I'm wrong
razor_clawzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I haven't seen the new chassis in person but I've heard that the TFT chassis is actually concave? The center of the chassis supposedly sits off the ground if you lay it on a flat surface...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
I haven't seen the new chassis in person but I've heard that the TFT chassis is actually concave? The center of the chassis supposedly sits off the ground if you lay it on a flat surface...
It's designed with some counter-bow built into it; allows the chassis to last a little longer.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:17 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

I don't know about a concave, I picked up a new buggy kit and this new chassis on tuesday and there was about 3 people at the store and some of them were thinking about ordering the chassis too so we pulled the one out of the kit and the new flex and laid them side by side and on top of each other and there was no difference. The only difference we could find was the flex one had a different finish(which I suppose is so when u see a darker chassis u know it's a flex) and the sides milled out. We weighed them on a postal scale and the flex was .8oz lighter.
EVerbody there was like I can do that to my own chassis, and there isn't alot of labor involved-I will do my next one with a air grinder with a titum tip and it would take like 5 min. I just like it how a popular buggy comes out with something new and say years of trial and they take a $50 chassis put it on a milling machine for 5 min and charge another $50, I would almost gauranty one of the losi drivers just took a dremel to a chassis and showed it to horizon and said this works, o well not the first $100 I spent on something so silly
sptrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
Tech Addict

well mine turned up a couple of days ago and I've got to tell you it's not very impressive to look at at all. the machining is some of the worst I've seen, looks like a two year old has done it.

The shape of the chassis (concave) is identical to the original chassis the only difference is the milling and to be honest I could have done a better job myself

I've been a losi man since the 1/10 offroad days (JRX was my first Losi) and I thought that their quality and finishing was among the best around until this arrived save yourself some money and do it yourself you'll probably do a better looking job

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETRO RC View Post
well mine turned up a couple of days ago and I've got to tell you it's not very impressive to look at at all. the machining is some of the worst I've seen, looks like a two year old has done it.

The shape of the chassis (concave) is identical to the original chassis the only difference is the milling and to be honest I could have done a better job myself

I've been a losi man since the 1/10 offroad days (JRX was my first Losi) and I thought that their quality and finishing was among the best around until this arrived save yourself some money and do it yourself you'll probably do a better looking job
The LXT was my first 1/10 losi truck. I started club racing that at the pukekohe off-road track, then I got a XXT, then the XXXT. Those were the days. Haven't had an electric since then. But they have all been losi. Except for the RC10GT I have stashed somewhere.....
I personally haven't even considered the new chassis for my buggy, I like mine just the way it is.
BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOST View Post
The LXT was my first 1/10 losi truck. I started club racing that at the pukekohe off-road track, then I got a XXT, then the XXXT. Those were the days. Haven't had an electric since then. But they have all been losi. Except for the RC10GT I have stashed somewhere.....
I personally haven't even considered the new chassis for my buggy, I like mine just the way it is.
well Boost if you raced at puke then you probably know me, Puke and papakura where my home tracks I still have a schumaker Cougar 2 and a losi XX (still running complete with Tekin 411p speedy)

Adrian lorenzen

Old 03-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
well Boost if you raced at puke then you probably know me, Puke and papakura where my home tracks I still have a schumaker Cougar 2 and a losi XX (still running complete with Tekin 411p speedy)

Adrian lorenzen
Hard to say..it was a good 10 years ago. It was hard to run with all the guys that had all the gear though...some of the older guys at the time had trailers decked out with all the bells and whistles (we were so jealous). It was fun though...but I hadn't really had much to do with R/C till a couple of years ago when it somehow found itself back into my life and bank account!
BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:

Do you have pictures or can you take pictures of the new chassis? Very curious as the on-line pics look smooth...

luisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisv View Post
Do you have pictures or can you take pictures of the new chassis? Very curious as the on-line pics look smooth...

I've just tried to take some pics but there seems to be to much reflection off the machined areas to see it clearly-

lets put it this way it looks as if it just been put in a drill press and a machined by hand,you can see marks where they have clamped the chassis down to do the machining you can see every stroke of the milling process

It may also look worse than it is as there is no straight line where the milling finishes and the anodising starts unlike the pic you posted

I'm sure it will do what it's supposed to Just a bit let down on the finish thats all

Adrian

Old 03-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #14
Tech Regular

I agree... it must have been a major bummer. I'm just curious as to how it looks in person... sorry bro...
luisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 PM   #15
Tech Regular

I have almost a gallon through mine. It does seem to feel more hooked up for sure.