R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default First Post-need advice

I'm the new guy here looking for some advice. I have been out of the hobby for about 8 years. Just got back into it with a used XXX-NT Drake Edition with an Orion wasp .12 motor. This is my first nitro truck. When I first got the truck it ran good and strong but a tank only lasted 5-6 mins. Ran the first tank out of gas and have been having tuning problems ever since. I tried to adjust the carb settings, but I am lost now.I was wondering if anyone knows the factory settings for an Team Orion WASP .12 off road engine (ORI80053)? I searched all over the web. The best I came up with is HS 1-1.5, LS3-3.5. Is this right? The truck starts only when I take the glow plug out and squirt fuel in the cylinder. It will run for about 5 seconds. At first I thought it was lean but fuel will dump out of the pipe. I tried riching and leaning out the low speed and idle. I changed glow plugs, fuel is new, pumps fuel when cranking over. I am ready to give up and go back to electric, especially these brushless setups! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..........John
Bman's 3XNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dieseldog20 Send a message via Yahoo to dieseldog20

did you put in a new glow plug or another used plug??? the high speed should be around 2 turn out and he low speed shouls be about the same. are you using a glow ignitor? if so change the battery. if its dumping that much fuel into the exhaust it is too rich, lean it out alittle more.
dieseldog20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to maximugen

try richening your low end up again, and if that doesnt work... make sure your fuel lines are all good, and also check that fuel is flowing into the carby, the fuel inlet on the carb may be blocked
HPI Savage - N/R 528
Trex 250
maximugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Guys, thanks for the replies. I did try a new glow plug, and also tried going richer and leaner on the low speed. I also used a glow plug ignitor (brand new,charged, plug lit up). I would like to take the carb off and clean it, but not sure how. I see that there is a screw I thought was holding it in so I took it out. I tried pulling the carb straight out but it didn't move. I didn't want to force it so I left it alone. Compression seems good. I did notice the exhaust gasket looked so so. Would that give me a problem? Can you guys give me a few more ideas? Thanks again......John
Old 03-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dieseldog20 Send a message via Yahoo to dieseldog20

for taking out the carb, loosen that little screw that you originally loosened and tap on the end of it ever so slightly just to loosen the hold up alittle bit. just that the carb and triwst it back and forth, it wont come out striaght you have to twist it back and forth and pull at the same time to loosen it up. after all that is should just come right out.
dieseldog20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
Tech Elite

I finally got it running! I didn't take the carb out but all the needles and jets. Cleaned and blew everything out. Seems that when I put the high speed needle back in and bottomed it out, it needed two turns before letting any air through it(blowin in to it). Drove it around for about 15 mins adjusting the settings. The only problem I am having now is keeping a constant idle without stalling or when hitting the brakes. When using the idle screw does in(clockwise) raise the idle? Didn't seem to be working right. Thanks......John
Old 03-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default clutch bearings

If it dies when you hit the brakes, it's probably clutch bearings. The carb barrel should be only open about 1mm, adjust the high speed needle first, then the low...........the only way to go.
oldguyzrule is offline   Reply With Quote