Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default are these worth it?

http://www.carolinasrc.com/webstore/...idproduct=4841

or are they junk?

for 11$ you really cant go wrong...

T Lawrence is a scamming scumbag

Tonys Screws l carolinasrc.com l spektrum (?)
Mugen MBX-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

As a guy who runs a Losi, I'd have a hard time fitting it in the tiny radio box. I think it's more useful for on-road carpet where there's a problem with static electricity. I know a few guys I raced with had problems with their receivers due to electrostatic discharge.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I believe those are only used on electric vehicles. If indeed you are running it on nitro dont bother, if your running it on a electric its probably a good idea.
blowpopracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

It's a capacitor. Ever seen a guy with a LOUD stereo in his car? When the bass hits it dims his lights? Anyway, a capacity is used in electric cars and here's the "short" of it. If you have a mean motor in your electric that can draw a ton of amps....sometimes you'd notice that the car is completely unresponsive to your controls for a split second after mashing the gas. This is because the motor is pulling so many amps that their's nothing left for the RX to use. Basically, the power you put down is robbing ALL the electronics in your car for a breif time. Now, realize that your car can do 40+ mph and the LAST thing you want your car doing is whatever it wants for ANY fraction of time.

Bottom line, a capacitor keeps SOME kind of juice on 'reserve' for the rx to use to do things like steer. In nitro, we have nitromethane engines providing power to our rigs so we don't draw amperages out of the rx/battery like an electric. End result, you DO NOT need this for a nitro rig. Great question and I hope my answer helps others identify that "glitch" they think their electric truck has when they're racing it. I personally, thought my radio was junking on me and some nice guy in the pits educated me. That little capacitor is a LOT cheaper than buying a new front end cuz your rig creams a wall at WOT and wouldn't stop when you told it to. These are almost required in the lipo/brushless world of racing. For us nitro guys it's useless.
HPI Savage. LRP zr30, FLM-XLCG, Hitec 7950th, BLS451, & piles of money
Horsepower is how fast you hit the object...Torque is how far it moves.
Wolverini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverini View Post
It's a capacitor. Ever seen a guy with a LOUD stereo in his car? When the bass hits it dims his lights? Anyway, a capacity is used in electric cars and here's the "short" of it. If you have a mean motor in your electric that can draw a ton of amps....sometimes you'd notice that the car is completely unresponsive to your controls for a split second after mashing the gas. This is because the motor is pulling so many amps that their's nothing left for the RX to use. Basically, the power you put down is robbing ALL the electronics in your car for a breif time. Now, realize that your car can do 40+ mph and the LAST thing you want your car doing is whatever it wants for ANY fraction of time.

Bottom line, a capacitor keeps SOME kind of juice on 'reserve' for the rx to use to do things like steer. In nitro, we have nitromethane engines providing power to our rigs so we don't draw amperages out of the rx/battery like an electric. End result, you DO NOT need this for a nitro rig. Great question and I hope my answer helps others identify that "glitch" they think their electric truck has when they're racing it. I personally, thought my radio was junking on me and some nice guy in the pits educated me. That little capacitor is a LOT cheaper than buying a new front end cuz your rig creams a wall at WOT and wouldn't stop when you told it to. These are almost required in the lipo/brushless world of racing. For us nitro guys it's useless.

damn that was a helpful explanation, i wish everyone answered me like that LOL.

i know exactly what you mean, i thought it helped your servos or something for nitro off road cars.

thanks for that.

T Lawrence is a scamming scumbag

Tonys Screws l carolinasrc.com l spektrum (?)
Mugen MBX-5 is offline   Reply With Quote