R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 194
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Digital Servos - Nimh or Lipo ????

Hello,
If I am going to buy new digital servos for my Turmoil Pro, do I need to switch to a different batter than my current 1600 NiMh? If so, do any of you know of a better battery I could buy that would fit into a Turmoil Pro? Thanks in advance for your help.

Blake
superx421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,481
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

I am running this 2500 mAh pack in my RC8 with my digital servos and have plenty of power and runtime:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18754
__________________
Edwin Hartman
Tekno RC Regional Team Manager - Southern Midwest region
Sponsors: Tekno RC - Pro-Line Racing - Tekin - LutzRC - O'Donnell Racing Fuel - TrakPower - Advantage Racing Products - Futaba - Sumo Racing
ehartman_49348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Scottmisfits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,104
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Your current pack will work just fine. No reason to change unless you want to.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,145
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Your current pack will work just fine. No reason to change unless you want to.
What he said.
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
jrwoodchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northampton, Massachusettes
Posts: 1,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman_49348 View Post
I am running this 2500 mAh pack in my RC8 with my digital servos and have plenty of power and runtime:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18754
Will this fit in the losi eight?
__________________
Doug
TLR 22/M-11

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
Tech Regular
 
MannEdge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Posts: 480
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superx421 View Post
Hello,
If I am going to buy new digital servos for my Turmoil Pro, do I need to switch to a different batter than my current 1600 NiMh? If so, do any of you know of a better battery I could buy that would fit into a Turmoil Pro? Thanks in advance for your help.

Blake
I used a 1400 in my 8ight last year and I ran two HT5995. The 1600 will work great.
__________________
Rcgroups feedback -
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/traderratings.php?u=78357
MannEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:56 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,145
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck View Post
Will this fit in the losi eight?
Just get the losi lipo.
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
Tech Adept
 
youngie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 119
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

when running the nimh the voltage starts at 6 volts and works its way down to 4.2 volts which is when the failsafe will kick in
when running lipos they start at 7.4 and the regulator keeps them at a constant 6 volts keeping the servos at there best performnce threw the whol race
you just have to pay close attention that you dont run them to flat and charge them with a lipo compatible charger
youngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Scottmisfits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,104
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngie View Post
when running the nimh the voltage starts at 6 volts and works its way down to 4.2 volts which is when the failsafe will kick in
when running lipos they start at 7.4 and the regulator keeps them at a constant 6 volts keeping the servos at there best performnce threw the whol race
you just have to pay close attention that you dont run them to flat and charge them with a lipo compatible charger

This is wrong. That is nominal voltage. When you're using Lipo, a fully charged pack will be 8.4v. Using NiMh your voltage will be around 7.8 or so, fully charged.

There is nothing wrong with using NiMh if you already have one.

Lipo battery and a voltage regulator, which isn't required but strongly reccomended, will run you a good bit of money. Stay with the NiMh for now. They still work fine. Like I said earlier, don't switch unless you want to because there is no need.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
ezveedub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,411
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
This is wrong. That is nominal voltage. When you're using Lipo, a fully charged pack will be 8.4v. Using NiMh your voltage will be around 7.8 or so, fully charged.

There is nothing wrong with using NiMh if you already have one.

Lipo battery and a voltage regulator, which isn't required but strongly reccomended, will run you a good bit of money. Stay with the NiMh for now. They still work fine. Like I said earlier, don't switch unless you want to because there is no need.
Actually, a lipo and regulator come out about 20 bucks more. A Losi 2000 Lipo and a 2600 NiMh run about the same or within 2-3 bucks apart if you know how to shop around.
__________________
Kyosho, Mugen Seiki, Maxy's Fuel, KO Propo
O.S., Ninja JX, Novarossi, RMV
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:28 AM   #11
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

X2 ezveedub.....lipo's are getting cheeper and cheeper every day now....and regulators are also cheep...Losi...20$...cant complain....i have both my trucks on lipo next is my starter box. .
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nimh vs lipo cyrrus Electric On-Road 2 03-11-2008 11:37 PM
FUTABA Servos Digital Brushless BLS451 and Digital S9351 SCUBA STEVE R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 11-11-2007 05:18 PM
Hitec 925MG, 625MG servos, digital or non digital Cain R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 03-09-2007 02:17 PM
LiPo vs NiMh…. Hayden Electric On-Road 3 06-10-2006 08:27 AM
WTB-Digital Servo(925 or 5925),NiMh AA's Stevietd14 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 07-29-2005 09:19 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:13 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net