R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   What truggy engine to buy (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/212685-what-truggy-engine-buy.html)

RONNIE C 03-17-2008 10:46 PM

What truggy engine to buy

This will be my first truggy and not sure what engine to buy. I like O.S. but not sure what to buy. I am building a X-Ray Truggy to race in the Texas R/C Pro series.
Thinks,

Ronnie C.

ezveedub 03-17-2008 10:59 PM

Try the OS 28ZX. I would add the hyper flywheel also. Engine screams hard.

Colt4g63 03-18-2008 12:30 AM

I am really fond of the Vspec's and the P7Rs :nod:

blowpopracer 03-18-2008 05:07 PM

I would recommend the falcon motor. The 21 is very smooth and has plenty of power for a truggy but if you want more get the falcon.28.

rescuemann 03-19-2008 05:34 AM

I have the O.S. .28 in my truggy right now and it is awesome.

portyansky 03-19-2008 05:43 AM

Vspec!!!!!

wallnutz684 03-19-2008 07:03 AM

v-spec is the way to go. its smooth and has plenty of power. if you have a little extra money i would buy the O.S speed v-spec. it has a lot more power than than the v-spec but its still smooth:nod:

Maximo 03-19-2008 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by wallnutz684 (Post 4275655)
v-spec is the way to go. its smooth and has plenty of power. if you have a little extra money i would buy the O.S speed v-spec. it has a lot more power than than the v-spec but its still smooth:nod:

actually the OS Speed is less powerful then the regular V-Spec...the OS Speed has a weighted crank which will slow down and smooth out the low end...and it doesn't carry upper power like the regualr Spec..it also makes slightly less torque...the Speed does make slightly more peak HP at 1 point in the powerband............But the OS Speeds only advantage is its smoother and wont spinthe tires as badly on a loose track...... I have both motors as well as dyno results tocback that up....OS Speed is not more powerful then a regular V-Spec... in fact the regualr v-Spec is more explosive and carries better upper RPM HP...

ezveedub 03-19-2008 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 4275678)
actually the OS Speed is less powerful then the regular V-Spec...the OS Speed has a weighted crank which will slow down and smooth out the low end...and it doesn't carry upper power like the regualr Spec..it also makes slightly less torque...the Speed does make slightly more peak HP at 1 point in the powerband............But the OS Speeds only advantage is its smoother and wont spinthe tires as badly on a loose track...... I have both motors as well as dyno results tocback that up....OS Speed is not more powerful then a regular V-Spec... in fact the regualr v-Spec is more explosive and carries better upper RPM HP...

This I find very, very hard to believe. I personally have seen the V-Spec and OS Speed line up, and the OS Speeds that I have have broke-in and tuned kill regular VSpecs. I have several friends with VSpecs and they can attest that the Speed is indeed faster and much more explosive.

Maximo 03-19-2008 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ezveedub (Post 4276365)
This I find very, very hard to believe. I personally have seen the V-Spec and OS Speed line up, and the OS Speeds that I have have broke-in and tuned kill regular VSpecs. I have several friends with VSpecs and they can attest that the Speed is indeed faster and much more explosive.

actually if you think about it, the OS Speed was designed to be a smoother version of the V-Spec... they have the same timing, different head buttons, and a different crank design..the main performance difference is the weighted crank.... which has the same effect on the motor as adding a heavier flywheel.... More ballast to resist rapid RPM change, as well as accelerations during the crank rotation.... The weighted cranks allow a motor to be less prone to tire spin, which is some cases will result in faster acceleration due to increased traction......I am not saying the Speed is a bad motor, but saying its vastly more powerful then a regular V-Spec is anything but the truth..

run a OS Speed and a 2007 V-Spec on grass using grippy tires and you will see right away the Speed is not as explosive....

Ken4 03-19-2008 05:27 PM

I have a friend who races OS Speeds and he says the same thing. The regular V-Spec is more powerful.

RONNIE C 03-19-2008 10:54 PM

Well its between the O.S V-SPEC AND THE O.S. 28XZ. Is the 28 as good a quality as the V-Spec?

Mr. Stiles 03-19-2008 11:37 PM

RB C6 BB7T amazing motor. Enormous ammounts of power and if broken in properly will last a LONG time :)

thecman26 03-20-2008 12:06 AM

If money is no option...
I second the vote for the RB C6...
With the RB 2045 pipe it has incredible bottom end and MIND NUMBING top end! Absolutely the sickest motor I have ever seen on the track! All this and pretty damn good fuel economy to boot! I would have one tomorrow but I have 2 problems... I suck at driving so the power is too much for my meager skill set and the combo is over $400 which is a lil rich for my blood... So I am stickin with the S3 for now...

Ken4 03-20-2008 12:56 AM

I have a new C6 & 2045 combo mounted on my lightweight LS2P, but i dont find it that powerful. But my XZ mounted on my old & heavy LSP-R really is brutally powerful. The C6 comes stock with 7mm restrictor, so maybe that explains why its so weak. The stock XZ comes with 9mm restrictor and the power was SO untamable the rpm wouldnt spool down fast enuf which made it difficult to drive, esp when jumping. I finally tamed it down by putting in a 8mm restrictor and adding 1 head shim. Which is more fun to drive? The XZ anytime. But for race, I would use the C6 for its fuel efficiency.