Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Go-tech 3 or O.S. VG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Go-tech 3 or O.S. VG?

Simple question, for a budget engine, which is faster?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

GO 3 port RACE, ABC sleeve VS the OS Nickle sleeve, the GO is also a turbo head motor, great runtime and longevity over the VG, maybe the same on bottom but the GO has more top. I run a 086 dynamite pipe P6 OS plug.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I would have to agree with Mugenb46. I didn't care for the nickel on the VG. Not very much pinch from the factory and OS's idea was to use a metal that didn't expand as much as brass/chrome so they would hopefully have longer life with less cylinder pressure to help rod life but what they got was a motor that expanded too far under heat and pressure and was junk within 2 gallons. Some may have lasted longer but the ones I've seen were garbage before the 2 gallon mark. I haven't seen the new go 3 ports yet but heard decent things about them so far. IMO, anything is better than the VG at this point. I've seen STS motors last longer.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

GO!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Go-tech 3 or O.S. VG?-16.2.2008-030-%5Bdesktop-resolution%5D.jpg  
Old 03-18-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some may have lasted longer but the ones I've seen were garbage before the 2 gallon mark.
O.S. is known for their reliability and ease of tunning. This means many Noobs and Tech-Tards are often told its the motor for them. Here's what happens, a couple inexperienced tuners get the motor, ignore the instructions, rush through break in and then have a failure. "This motor is Crap, and I saw that poor guy blow up two of them thangs"... etc... You know what, even the Mighty Italian mills can succumb to a noobs impatience and inexperience.

I have a V.G. which has been raced and tuned CORRECTLY, for almost 7 gallons now. There's nothing wrong with the design. There's nothing wrong with the metallurgy, its a MYTH perpetuated by people who don't even own them, and scoff at the low price.

I've heard mostly good things about the Go motors, but I haven't seen any locally. Why?... because most of the guys around here stick with what they know. I bet some of them even called the Go motors crap, and for the same reason people online dog the V.G.

The V.G. is a RELIABLE, and efficient motor, that can be raced or bashed. Just follow the directions, keep the temps within reason, and don't use crappy fuel. It will serve you well for gallons and gallons.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

X2
Old 03-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

To answer the question. The Go will be faster.
But the OS is the better engine.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (97%+)

The VG was my gateway into the OS world. I never believed all the hype about them until I got to experience one first hand.

After having zero success with a Go Tech <due to my tech tardness...Go Techs are great motors> I picked up a 1 gallon old VG a little while ago so that I could see if OS really was as great as the hype would make you believe and I've been running the piss out of it since. It's now on it's 3rd gallon with no issues whatsoever. It really is a great motor and it has helped me get tuning down because it reacts to needle adjustments so well.

I recently bought a V-spec with my tax check and I'm waiting for the weather to warm up before I break it in. I can't wait.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (97%+)

Originally Posted by vti-chris
GO!!!!!!!!!!
that one would be much faster than the VG...very nice!

I want to get my hands on a 3-port R pretty bad.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I had a VG, and Jason Halvorson can attest that I didn't over heat it or do anything outside of what the manual said for breakin. He was there when I did it.

The engine ran great and was easy to tune for all of half a gallon, if that. Then, it just wouldn't hold a tune and every so often would just be a pain to start, other times, fire up fine.

I sold my whole nitro works because of the frustration to another racer who knew the troubles I had but wanted the deal. He said he got it to run fine, but reported about two weeks later the engine was dead.

I made my choice on this engine based on the fact it was supposed to be easy to tune and run reliably. Unfortunately, it didn't.

Do I think this is a problem with all there engines, no, and I believe that others have had success with them. But, would I based on my experience by another? nope.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Checkout this thread for the OS VG...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158761

or another great engine is RB's. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/21613
Old 03-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thx, for replys all. Looks like there are supporters for both engines. Which I should have expected I guess.

Has anyone run these 2 engines back to back. Looking for a definitive answer on which is the faster of the 2 engines. Not to concerned about longevity as I plan on getting a new engine in a month or two. Im looking for a budget motor to start the season off, then its going in my Hyper 8 as a basher.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

The only thing making the GO a budget engine is the price, it is a race engine. the os is good also, but for speed and power the GO IMO out performs the VG, hell for 20 bucks you can get the 5 port turbo, this is hands down my fav, it will smoke a VG and has more grunt on the bottom than the 3 port GO and the same top end, and killer runtime and they run forever
Old 03-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ok.. Im not asking about the GO 3r... Just the 3.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

LOL ok, the 3 port sport is what you are asking about, it has P5 bottom and a quick spool up, and can gain some top end by adding a turbo head, on small to med size tracks it can be a handfull, it's pretty zippy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.