R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Receiver pack lipo or not

Ok guys I am an old school racer. raced electric for years and nitro for 3. I still have not owned anything lipo. The last 3 years I have just ran the Orion 1600mah receiver pack. This year I am thinking about trying Lipo. My question is what are your experiences?

Here are a few details, I quit racing electric racing basically at the end of 2005. My chargers are not capable of charging lipo's. I also race at a couple tracks where getting power is very hard, so I bought the traxxas receiver pack charger with cigarette adapter. Which works great for the Orion pack.

Do you Nitro guys think it would be worth it for me to buy the lipo stuff, and a new charger? Another thing is I am stupid when it comes to Lipo, I have done ZERO research until now. What all would I need to buy to be ready for lipo? and which brand?

Thanks for all the info in advance

Mike
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Tech Regular

I know they don't hold up well to being stomped on. LOL
Old 03-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Tech Regular

LOL yeah not much does. I did however get that GT to stop.. I am for sure not a fan of runways. Electric guy freaks out his GT takes off. runs off drivers stand gets mad cause his shoe cant get to flywheel. so he grabs pipe gets burnt and more mad. Decides to start stomping on it till it dies..LOL no more GT
Old 03-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am going to run the Losi 2000 2s lipo in my 8 for this race season. You can buy a converter to charge the receiver pack with a regular charger from losi. Here is a picture of my Lipo with the 6v regulator on top of it.

I have changed the connectors to deans micro plugs since this picture was taken.
The thing about lipo is the 6v continues power you get until it needs a charge.
I'm not a pro by far with Lipo, so i'm sure some of the other people can give you more info than I can.

I use a Super Brain 977 and a Astro blinky balancer to charge my Lipo.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

The Lipos are superior when it comes to delivering power to servos at all times. You will always have 6.0v from full charge to discharge. Make sure you run a regualtor, either 6v or 7v.
Just make sure not to drop them below 3.0v per cell, or in your case 6.0v. Lipos will be damaged if they go below this voltage. The Losi 2000 lipo is good and there regulator also. Its good for 5 amps of draw.
As for chargers, the ICE charger does well and the Triton or Triton 2. Add a Astro Blinky balancer with Thunder power adapter (to fit a Losi balance connector) and your good to go.
The ICE and Tritons can be found used here in the for sale ads. PLus they charge Nicad, NiMh, and PB batteries also.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Check this out Mike LOSB9607. That is the part number for the charger converter. It lets you use your exsisting charger to charge lipos.
http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB9607
Old 03-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Elam View Post
LOL yeah not much does. I did however get that GT to stop.. I am for sure not a fan of runways. Electric guy freaks out his GT takes off. runs off drivers stand gets mad cause his shoe cant get to flywheel. so he grabs pipe gets burnt and more mad. Decides to start stomping on it till it dies..LOL no more GT
i can't breath man i hope that don't happen to me
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:58 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info guys.