Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

FWIW: Ultimate hobbies has the 8ight roller for $419.95

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...OSA0801%211002
Cannondale1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:08 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hay how come O'Donnell's greatly over priced Z01-B buggy didn't make your list?

It's only $649.99 at Tower Hobbies, but hay if you buy one from Tower they will give you 1 free glow plug. That is if it ever comes out..
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTCZ0&P=7

A free GlowPlug for a $649 buggy, what a freeking joke....

Anyways you can't go wrong with any of the buggies in your list..

The Kyosho is also at the top of my over priced list..

Last edited by LosiMadMan; 03-15-2008 at 03:20 AM.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:11 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Honestly all proven vehicles. Look at what designs and features you like the best. I love my Losi 8, though I have had all my diffs wear abnormally fast, which is rare with other 8ight drivers. Im now waiting for the Xray 808, as Im just ready for a new toy after a little over a year.

The heavy duty diffs will take care of that..
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:26 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

One thing that you might want to take into consideration is to see what everybody else in your area is running. If you select the buggy that nobody in your area is running, you are on your own as far as figuring out setups. Not that you won't be able to figure out, but if you go with a buggy that is more common in your area will prevent you from having to re-invent the wheel as far as the setup goes. I had to go through this with my previous buggy and it can get a little frustrating having to go through all the setups to get even close. I have to admit that that was an off-brand for which no setup sheets were available at all. Any of the buggies listed do have much better setup support than I had to deal with.
ehartman_49348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:46 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I had an 8ight from the first production run and never had any diff cup wear or any of the other gremlins.

Falcon, if you're looking at getting into a great, reliable 1/8 buggy for a bargain, don't overlook the MBX5 on amainhobbies.com for $319. This is the chassis that won the 2004 nats and is not all that different from the current R model. I had one for two years and I kinda' miss it.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

All good comments.

My research has led me to believe the above listed buggies have the following-

Good peformance
Good quality of materials used
Good parts support
Proven racing success

So, in a nut shell that has been the criteria I used to qualify each buggy. The curiosity is the pricing structure, however it's not the main consideration. The overall package is the focus.

Eric,

That's a very good point, the only buggy that's not prevalent at the local track is the RC8 and that could make life interesting. I've heard there's a few guys running the RC8 however have yet to see one in the flesh. Mugen, OFNA, Kyosho and Losi are the most popular.

David ,

How long have you had the 8ight, how would you rate this buggy? It's interesting that you've mentioned the Mugen yet you drive a Losi.

Alright guy's, it appears there are two buggies presently that have a slight performance edge over the others and that's the RC8 and 8ight. They are also the two buggies that constantly get a mention.

There are pros and cons for both as mentioned in this thread already. I guess it now comes down to personal preference......... decision time!

Thanks again to all, I'll let you know which buggy I decide to go with.

Falcon
Falcon XR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #22
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

the kyosho cars are the most adept to all track conditions i have 5 different kyosho buggies , one st-rr , losi 8 and trying to sell a losi 8t i found the losi car to be a very well driving car , a little qwarky , wears parts out quick and only likes a few select track conditions= high traction . the kyosho is straight forward , high quality , long lasting and heavy car (needs a diet forsure) I prefer kyosho
monty
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #23
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kyosho_101

I currently run a kyosho 777wc and have brought 2 of them and have not had to replace anything other than clutch shoes, I am still running the normal shocks that came with it and it is still very competetive.

I had a Losi 8ight and the only thing that I can say that was great about it was the manual it has to be 1 of the best step by step manuals on the market

I am on the other hand planning on trying out the O'Donnell buggy when it arrives.

But if you want a 1/8th buggy I say wait until the worlds this year, every company will have a new buggy released for it

I am looking forward to seeing the Kyosho MP9
Kyosho_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My 2cents...Ive only raced the mugen, losi, and associated (currently running the associated) if i had to sum up my driving experience with these cars for you it would go something like this... Losi 8ight, Awesome car when traction is good-extremely good, below average and frustrating when traction is down. Associated rc8, more stable than the losi, accelerates awesome, feels driveable in most conditions but still an aggressive car. Mugen Mbx5r..hands down the most easy to drive car of the 3, runs great on just about any track condition, and is easy to put down smooth consistent laps. The Mugen is just more planted and easier to drive than the other 2 cars, though i think alot of mugen drivers are going to more aggresive cars like the losi and the rc8 to get faster hope this helps.

Mike

p.s. i have put over 200$ in king headz hopups on my rc8 for peace of mind. the stock cast knuckles on the rc8 are of poor quality. if you go the rc8 route, do yourself a favor and at least buy the king headz knuckles
zapmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:31 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to JustinD

I'd think of Cen a little bit Ive owned the eight the RC8 the mugen.The rc8 and losi are a little more twitchy the mugen is awesome,The Cen turns hard like a RC8 but has good traction like a mugen it will surprise you.

Mugen MBX6 -EB MOD OS V-Spec / EB MODS FUEL
JustinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Price is a factor. You get what you pay for. Check and see how many threads there are for models that are lower priced and compare it to the higher priced one. You'll find more threads for the lower priced ones with more replies and discussions.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:51 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
the kyosho cars are the most adept to all track conditions i have 5 different kyosho buggies , one st-rr , losi 8 and trying to sell a losi 8t i found the losi car to be a very well driving car , a little qwarky , wears parts out quick and only likes a few select track conditions= high traction . the kyosho is straight forward , high quality , long lasting and heavy car (needs a diet forsure) I prefer kyosho
monty
+1, Add Mugen to the list also. It sets up differently, but works just as well IMO. Many will disagree though.