the fact that they were about $100.00 cheaper than
some other motors that came out about the same time
would save me some money. But I ended up spending
the money that I thought I had saved just to get them
like they should have been out of the box. I have learned
my lesson the hard way and now I run much better motors,
that come with good carbs, bearings and will last twice as
long as the Picco's. Nuff Said

Hah....No comment....all im gonna do is get myself into trouble....and u my freind....and NOT worth it.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

we get calls from customers saying that it won't hold a tune or continue to chase it, from what I see when I go to the track is just bad tuning or wrong plug, first is the plug YOU'VE GOT TO RUN A HOT PLUG IN YOUR JAMMIN OR PICCO ENGINE TO GET A GOOD TUNE, the other the is the settings should always be around flush at the LSN and flush at the HSN if your not your fuel,plug , or shimming is not correct, I have had customers demanding new engines for replacements and in some cases I would replace it for a new unit, then I would take that defective engine that they said would not work, take it to the track and retune,shim, and put in a new plug (#77 o-don) and would run great, two weeks ago I had a customer say they had that prob. and I decided to exchange it for them after he sent it to me and I had checked it out and it seemed to be ok reset the needles and brokedown the engine to see if there were any problems, and the was and it from us it was the customers fault (the sleeve was reinstall about 15 degrees away from the set pin so when he retightened the engine head it made a gap on the sleeve and caused a slight airleak) I took the engine smoothed out the dent on the sleeve by reinstalling it correctly into the block and rebroke in the engine being that it was brand new, broke it in on two tanks on the track and then retuned for performance and now it's one of my race engines, I even TQ'd with it at Hemet rc in buggy and runs great, but just in general there are alot of engines out there that I've heard with bad tune problems and have helped those people get their engines corrected you just have to know what to listen for. I myself do not use a temp gun to tune an engine I look for smoke dissapation thru the power curve and off throttle idle after a high speed pass, but when people do check the temp it will be in the 230 to 240 range.

Dj
Ofna Racing
Old 03-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Picco's are very prone to leaky carb bodies.. The seem between the metal endbell and the main composite body are prone to leakage when the motor gets up to operating temps... This is the same issue that affected the Go engines, and the fix is just a thin bead of JB weld around the seam......... The other solution is to run the LSN rich and use a hit plug to maintain idle........ But when sealed up these motors will run quite well on both medium and cold plugs alike !!!!.....I find these Picco's to be one of the easiest to tune and operate motors I have run..But all my carbs have been JB welded which makes a massive difference in how these motors will tune....

Also I run strictly Picco glowplugs and on average we easily run more then 1 gallon on each glowplug under race conditions....
Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

I got it running decently yesterday. Replaced the front bearing, basically ground the idle needle to a fine point (because polishing it obviously wasn't enough), polished the barrel with emory cloth this time, resealed EVERYTHING, new fuel line and the Ofna/Picco hot plug (#51006). Was running the Trinity "Drake" plug. Using the Jammin JP-4 pipe and Byron Gen2 20%, going to try the 25% or 30% this weekend.

The tune held okay, it takes quite a while to warm up. Once it's at about 240-250 it has a ton of power. I will run this one and move on to something else when it's time.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Imust have gotten lucky with my engine. I have the .21 jammin and just finished breakin and getting the tune close and the engine has been doing great!!

I think that most problems you here about things on here is user error.

Pro drivers run what ever pays them the most to run.

You don't see the Pro Losi drivers running Dynamite motors. It pretty much comes down to sponsor pay. Drake has ran the Picco based Trinity motor for how long and look what he has done!!