R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
Tech Master

I sold my Losi after I got the RC8. I don't feel a bit bad about it.
-ROAR 4 cell rule Blows
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Default losi 8ight

I too was in the same boat, buying a new buggy for this year and looked at the asc but the one I looked at had alot of play in the steering and the rims like wobbled when u spun them.Just like a good company does they are working on the problems that are coming up but how could u leave a proven friend, I think the rc8 will be a top contender but still think the losi (and now with new chassis) will come out on top.I just picked up a new 8ight and 8ight-t for the wife, can't wait for snow to melt to get racing.

I too was going to make joke about lois but thought she was all worn out so u can have her back
sptrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo speed View Post
thx for reply. still not sure what buggy to get ??? had a losi 8 just really like AE stuff . I saw jr mitch at a state race with proto it was sick !!!
Are you talking about the State race at hurricane raceway? I believe there was more RC8's in the A Main than Losi's. Actually there was more RC8's than Losi's period at that race.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

Definitely try the RC8, however, since your running the Florida State series, maybe you should stick with the Losi. I am sure we will compete against each other on the series and I hate running against the RC8s. They tend to do very well on the Florida tracks.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

The only parts strength issue left with the RC8 is the knuckle. You can make a mod on the stocks, but King Headz or wait for AE to release the upgraded ones.

Saying that, it takes a real hard whack at the right angle and no car is bullet proof.

Anyone running the "RC8's break too easy line" now are whistling in the wind.

Bottom line, RC8... Losi 8... both top of the line racing machines. Either way it's then about the driver, maintenence and set up skillz*. I went with AE because i have seen the support and it's top notch and i raced the RC10 back in the day and loved it. From what i have seen there are a few guys in Losi who will really back up the sportsman drivers as well. It really is take your pick.

Also... i see too many Losi's

*Yup, skillz with a Z. I am feeling a little bit Gangsta tonight.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevette View Post
Definitely try the RC8, however, since your running the Florida State series, maybe you should stick with the Losi. I am sure we will compete against each other on the series and I hate running against the RC8s. They tend to do very well on the Florida tracks.
Ha-Ha!! Hey Pete, trying to kill some RC8 competition with the AE camp?!?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Superman might get mad if you steal his woman
Old 03-13-2008, 05:37 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWright View Post
The only parts strength issue left with the RC8 is the knuckle. You can make a mod on the stocks, but King Headz or wait for AE to release the upgraded ones.

Saying that, it takes a real hard whack at the right angle and no car is bullet proof.

Anyone running the "RC8's break too easy line" now are whistling in the wind.

Bottom line, RC8... Losi 8... both top of the line racing machines. Either way it's then about the driver, maintenence and set up skillz*. I went with AE because i have seen the support and it's top notch and i raced the RC10 back in the day and loved it. From what i have seen there are a few guys in Losi who will really back up the sportsman drivers as well. It really is take your pick.

Also... i see too many Losi's

*Yup, skillz with a Z. I am feeling a little bit Gangsta tonight.
What's wrong with the RC8's knuckles? Are they the same on the RTR and FT?
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #24
Tech Addict

ooOOooops, double post.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Pretty sure they are the same. Nothing to panic about, they are just the most common breakage now it seems. Takes a real good whack to do it as i said, it's not like they break every time you look at them.

At that level of car it's small things. 8ights have a habit of popping tie rod ends in a race if you are not bang on target replacing them when they start to wear. Rc8 you have to watch the wheel base bushes or you will bend outer hinge pins. 8ights can eat throttle servos if you dont make the small O ring modification and raise the servo a little.

Other cars must have their weak spots but i only really deal with RC8's and Losi 8's in any depth.

Not claiming to be the foremost expert, i am just talking out of experience - i have driven the RC8 hard for a few months and the two guys i race with drive Losi and it's the most common car at the track and in the shop i work at. The Rc8 is definately starting to take a chunk out of the Losi dominance though, and now it's issues have been ironed out it is a strong car.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

the RC8 is deffenetly faster to the hobby shop for new front parts
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

The rc8 does have more steering then the losi... BUT if u dont have alot of money to spend on upgrade parts dont buy it...
Old 03-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

RC8!!! Then you can get clutch shoes from www.impulse-rc.com

www.impulse-rc.com
Steebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

with the losi it is an average of about 30 to 50 bucks more than the RC8 online. All factory guys use the new chassis, as it helps with traction and stability. thats another 89 to 100 dollars to spend on the losi. The RC8 currently is giving all upgrade packages away. if you buy one then get with them and they will get you a package with better parts. The thing that I personally worry about with the RC8 over the losi is the rough track handling. Right now the Factory AE guys are working very hard on finding the "right" shock setup for rough blown out tracks.

Either car would be good, This is just a few things that I personally have looked at.
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:11 AM   #30
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraspeed84 View Post
The rc8 does have more steering then the losi... BUT if u dont have alot of money to spend on upgrade parts dont buy it...
Ultraspeed84... I completely disagree. The cars come with the service pack which contains stronger A arms and front suspension arms plus all replacement heat treated hardened pin braces and the new top A plate. I never had a problem with the A arms or the front wishbones but have replaced them anyway.

The only "Upgrades" i run are the plastic caps off of the RTR and the plastic chassis braces... total cost $10 ish. In fact, when i got the new plastic A arm plate i removed the King Headz one i bought before the service pack was out as it isn't needed any more.

If anyone was to buy a hop up then the king Headz knuckles is the only one to consider. Even then i wouldn't bother.

Clutches from ImpulseRC.com bring down the cost of "disposables". Beyond that all you need to keep it rolling and competitive are bearings ($1 each from Avid), fuel and tyres a set of suspension springs and diff/shock oils... same as any other car.

What upgrades do you think it needs and do you run an RC8?