Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Front engine bearing grease or oil???????? >

Front engine bearing grease or oil????????

Front engine bearing grease or oil????????

Old 03-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Front engine bearing grease or oil????????

I saw this write up on tool that is made for packing front engine bearings w/ grease I would think it would help keep anything from getting through there into the engine but wondering if anyone has seen a dyno comparison between grease and oil?
Old 03-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Adept

The last thing you want to do is pack a bearing full of grease. This will cause the bearing to over heat and fail. if you put grease in it don't put more then 1/3 of the total area. Also you must use the correct grease.

It would be better to use a good quality oil. Once the engine is running you will get lubrication from the oil in the fuel so you should be ok.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default front bearing

I agree u would have to use a high temp grease that could withstand up 300+ but I remember reading some mag and it saying something about grease being a better idea then oil I'll have to try and find that. I tend to agree cause I own a trucking company and few years ago all my trailers were converted from oil hubs to grease cause they run cooler and seal tend not to leak with grease, not sure about this have to find that mag.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Does the front bearing have one seal? If so, it will be oil feed. Double sealed can be oiled or greased. The grease used is Kluber grease. If you overpack it, is will come out though the seals, so just add some to the race, don't pack it full. As of drag, the grease will add more, but will dimish once all the extra grease oozes out. The JP racing offroad motors use a double sealed, oiled front bearing, which IMO works fine.