R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
gfx
Tech Adept

Questions?? Just bought a OFNA Jammin CRT.5

I purchased this on ebay yesterday... it's a used one... says only 1/3 of a gallon was run through it, with after run oil used every time.

This comes with everything I'll need except for:

Fuel
Batteries
Glow Starter

Being new to nitro R/C, I'm going to need a few suggestions on what I should buy for each. As for the batteries, what batteries will I need inside a nitro R/C; my prior R/C experience comes from electric, so please help me out here.

Thanks.
gfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Tech Regular

If you have time to read through the .5 forum do so. Tons of info there. As for the battery pack, either the Ofna 800 MaH pack is good or you can try Lipo with the regulator. For fuel, I like the Byron's fuel. But everyone here will tell you they like something else. Check out Nitrohouse.com. Also, look into the extended chassis conversion. A must have. Other things that I've done is changed out the brake disks to the fiberglass ones off of the full size CRT. Check out my vid of the CRT.5 with the extended chassis conversion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g36pdU1CyRw
Bad Dog Rc
www.baddogrc.com
www.speedtechrc.com
My rides

Jammin CRT.5 w/ OS .12 TZP 5
Team Losi 8ight-T w/ Ninja JX .21
stiffler297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
gfx
Tech Adept

I have had some time to go through the first few pages of that thread. There is a lot of info in there that I've taken some notes on... Mr. Shookie has posted a lot of good info in there.

Is the battery for the on-board electronics only?

So, what glow starter should I use? Also, will I need a starter box for this truck?

Is there any way I can tell if the one I bought already has the extended chassis?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
gfx
Tech Adept

BTW, stiffler297, I already had that video in my YouTube favorites.

Also, RevRaceway is located just down the street from where I grew up.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Any glow ignitor will work. Depending on which motor the car has in it, you may need the starter box. If the car has full size servos, it's got the extended chassis. If you still have to use the micro servos, it's still the original size. The battery will be only for the onboard elecs. You'll just need batteries for the transmitter. Do you still race at Rev? Or will you be going there any time soon? I can help you with some set up stuff if you'd like.
Bad Dog Rc
www.baddogrc.com
www.speedtechrc.com
My rides

Old 03-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
gfx
Tech Adept

Thanks again, stiffler297.

So now I'm looking online for the cheapest glow starter w/ charger I can find... any suggestions on where to look? I'm not sure on what a decent price would be, or if I should just buy it at a hobby shop (shipping might offset any online deal).

Also, could you provide a link to what type of battery I'll need for the on-board stuff?

I didn't ever race at Rev. When I lived in Montclair, The Ranch Pit Shop was still open and I used to go there. I do plan on going by to check it out... I can let you know when, thanks.

P.S. From pictures of the CRT I bought, it looks like the engine is a pull-start, so I guess I won't need a starter box.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Just go to the hobby shop and get the ignitor. It's just easier that way. Dubro makes a really good ignitor.

For the battery, all you need is a AAA 5 cell pack. I use the trinity 850 pack but, you can call Rob at Nitrohouse.com (tell him I sent you) and he can get you the right one.

So where do you plan on racing that thing at then?
Bad Dog Rc
www.baddogrc.com
www.speedtechrc.com
My rides

Old 03-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
gfx
Tech Adept

Yeah, I was thinking it might be easier to just buy it at a shop. Is the Dubro the type with a charger? Also, I would like to know what a good in-store price would be, for comparison shopping sake... just in case I run across something online that is cheaper.

I was checking out the Nitro House website from the link they have at the top of the page... is the store open to the public; Irvine isn't too far from me.

I'm located in Long Beach, so the closest track (that I know of) is Crystal Park Raceway, in Compton... so I'll probably do most of my practicing/racing there.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Yes, nitrohouse it open to the public. All ignitor's SHOULD come with charger. I would think something around $20 should be good to get a good ignitor. I use the Ofna ignitor with a rechargeable 2000 MAH D cell battery.
Bad Dog Rc
www.baddogrc.com
www.speedtechrc.com
My rides

Old 03-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
gfx
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler297 View Post
For the battery, all you need is a AAA 5 cell pack. I use the trinity 850 pack but, you can call Rob at Nitrohouse.com (tell him I sent you) and he can get you the right one.
How's this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29

Is $20 about the standard price for one of these... are these rechargeable?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #11
Tech Regular

I had one just like that for a while. They work good. That's about the right price.
Bad Dog Rc
www.baddogrc.com
www.speedtechrc.com
My rides